Jerry Palm has tOSU in and TCU out and the Gophers to the Tax Slayer bowl Jan 2nd

So if OSU gets final four, and the Orange bowl picks Michigan State as there at large team than the Big 10 conference loses the citrus bowl bid. This seems pretty clear to me where the Gophers are going to go, because Nebraska played in the Gator/Taxslayer bowl last year even though they lost there coach. If Orange bowl takes Michigan State and OSU gets Sugar bowl against Alabama the Gophers are going to the Taxslayer bowl in Jacksonville FL on 01/02 Friday. Pretty depressing thought but it is what is expected. Think about it, Outback bowl will be in a position to pick Wisconsin and they are taking Wisconsin with there selection all day because they know there fans will help fill the stadium against Georgia. We are not going to Holiday bowl even though Sid said so because the Big 10 is going to lose the Citrus bowl game affiliation due to that Orange bowl pick thing. This means Nebraska is like the pick for the Holiday bowl. This means everyone then rolls down one. Even though the Gophers beat Nebraska head to head the conference can justify the fact that they had one more win and played in Jacksonville last year so they do not want to send the m there. I don't see us falling out of the last Tier 1 bowl unless they somehow have Maryland jump Minnesota to go to Jacksonville, in that scenario than the Gophers fall to Foster farms in SF or they fall to Music City bowl in Nashville on 12/30. Yes there is looking like there is a scenario unless the conference intervenes and makes Taxslayer take Gophers where they end up in SF or Nashville in not desireable games. There really wasn't any scenario that worked out in the Gophers favor today that would move us up. The best we can hope for is that OSU doesn't get final four big and ends up in Fiesta, in that scenario Michigan State would end up in Citrus or Cotton to replace OSU, so that would actually help us, If TCU stays in and OSU does not get a final four spot. I would like to see something that benefits the Big 10 conference but as a Gopher fan we are rooting for TCU and not OSU to get in the final game as it affects our bowl position greatly on whether OSU gets in the final four or not. Our best hope for a Florida bowl is Gator bowl, or if by some miracle the Big 10 has the Holiday bowl pick us over Nebraska. These bowl scenarios as usual are not working out favorable for the Gophers, damn that Illinois loss, and man I wish we could have beaten Wisconsin. At least the Gophers would not have lied down and died like the Badgers did against Ohio State.

^^^Lots of things included in that extremely long paragraph are incorrect, not the least of which is the assertion that Ohio State making the playoff has any bearing whatsoever on the Gophers' bowl destination.

Citrus is gone as MSU is a deadlock for the Orange Bowl. That leaves 2 tier one bowls left, Outback and Holiday. This could get interesting as who are the top two teams, Wisconsin and ?? By B1G standings Minnesota is over Nebraska (same conference record and we won the head to head) also they have new coach issue. I think Nebraska and Minnesota are fighting for the Holiday unless Wisconsin wants the Holiday Bowl which supposedly Alvarez has stated was a good landing site for Bucky.

I just want to go to a bowl that we can win. It has been 10 years.

I'd go:
Rose: 1 Oregon vs. 4 Ohio State
Sugar: 2 Alabama vs. 3 FSU
Peach: 9 Ole Miss vs. 10 K-State
Fiesta: 6 TCU vs. Boise State
Orange: 7 Michigan State vs. 11 Georgia Tech
Cotton: 5 Baylor vs. 8 Mississippi State

Gophers: vs. Mizzou (Outback)

I agree that Minnesota should be ahead of Nebraska same overall conference record, and won head to head match up but keep in mind Big 10 can only make suggestions they cannot require a bowl selection group to take Minnesota over Nebraska, that is the bowl we are likely fighting for unless Wisconsin has let conference know they want to go to San Diego and Holiday bowl over outback bowl and have an agreement to go to San Diego that moves another team to the Outback bowl. If OSU is in and Michigan State is lock for Orange bowl than the conference does lose the Citrus bowl tie in that is out there and contract is known.
IF Wisconsin want's the Outback bowl bid than that bowl bid belongs to Wisconsin over Minnesota and Nebraska. In either scenario what the conference says and what the bowl selection comittee's decide doesn't have to jive even though we have been told it matters. Nebraska was in Taxslayer Gator bowl last year so they do not likely end up in that location yet. Your putting the Minnesota brand against Wisconsin and Nebraska and even though Nebraska fired their coach who do you think the Tier 1 bowls are going to select before it is all said and done. IF Taxslayer get's a wild hair up there behind and get's to select between us and Maryland than it is a bad situation for us. I don't think OSU ending up in the final four matters to us because they are guaranteed one of the Six selection bowl spots as conference champions, even if they end up five. We want the Outback bid yes, but Outback can take either Wisconsin or Nebraska they will not be required to take us. This is going to come down to brand and repuatation of fan travel again. There is no requirement from the conference that any Bowl take Minnesota over Nebraska, they can suggest but do not have to go by conference suggestion. Best case scenario would be for Wisconsin to want the Holiday bowl bid, and for somehow the Gophers to get picked over Nebraska for the Outback bowl bid, that is the best we can hope for otherwise we end up in Jacksonville for the Taxslayer bowl. Jacksonville seems like the destination the Gophers are going to end up with, unless they poag out on us and take Maryland.

Bad luck, some of our own making (Illinois), and politics seem set to punch us in the stomach once again. To me Jacksonville would be a letdown now that it's no longer a January 1 game and anything less like Santa Clara or God forbid Nashville would be a catastrophe. To think we had eyes on Orlando, Tampa, and San Diego, but now seem set to miss all three.

This - "damn that Illinois loss" tOSU in or out & politicking (Alvarez) will determine the Gophers' destination. Neb & Wisc fans travel well, and that is a consideration for bowl venues.

We shall see how everything shakes up in twelve hours.

times are a changing, BiG assigns the team to the Bowl, the Bowl no longer gets their pick automatically as in the past, at least that's what we've been told. Phil Steele has us to Holiday and Nebraska to Santa Clara

This - "damn that Illinois loss" tOSU in or out & politicking (Alvarez) will determine the Gophers' destination. Neb & Wisc fans travel well, and that is a consideration for bowl venues.

Nebraska fans did not travel at all last year for bowl game...could that have been Pelini issue...now that he is gone is that going to spur fed up Husker fans to travel? I don't think so...Woody will guarantee more tickets if need be to get a better bowl

Bad luck, some of our own making (Illinois), and politics seem set to punch us in the stomach once again. To me Jacksonville would be a letdown now that it's no longer a January 1 game and anything less like Santa Clara or God forbid Nashville would be a catastrophe. To think we had eyes on Orlando, Tampa, and San Diego, but now seem set to miss all three.

It's still a January 2nd game, is it not?? New years day, day after....whichever, I just want to play a bowl game in 2015!

Christensen in Star Tribune said likely scenarios for Gophers are Taxslayer bowl in Jacksonville or Foster Farms in Santa Clara. Our bowl fate hinges on the likelihood of where Wisconsion wants to go. Conference can make suggestions but they cannot force bowl selection groups to take any given program. If Wisconsin picks Outback bowl, then we likely get the Holiday bowl bid over Nebraska because they have been to Holiday bowl recently and sounds like San Diego would pick us over Nebraska. If Nebraska ends up in Outback bowl and Wisconsin elects to go to the Holiday bowl, then it comes down to Taxslayer in Jacksonville in who they select. It really sounds like unless Wisconsin picks Holiday and Norwood can sell Outback on the Gophers we are not going to get either bowl we would all like to go to. The Orange bowl picking Michigan State is going to F the rest of us by taking the Citrus bowl bid away. If Wisconsin want's Holiday bowl bid then that is where they will go because that is who they have made known would be there first choice.

It's still a January 2nd game, is it not?? New years day, day after....whichever, I just want to play a bowl game in 2015!

There is always next season...the playoff semi final games are December 31st next year

I'd go:
Rose: 1 Oregon vs. 4 Ohio State
Sugar: 2 Alabama vs. 3 FSU
Peach: 9 Ole Miss vs. 10 K-State
Fiesta: 6 TCU vs. Boise State
Orange: 7 Michigan State vs. 11 Georgia Tech
Cotton: 5 Baylor vs. 8 Mississippi State

Gophers: vs. Mizzou (Outback)

I would love to see that!! Where do you have wisconsin at?

I would love to see that!! Where do you have wisconsin at?

Banking on Alvarez wanting Holiday Bowl. That leaves Gophers or Nebraska for Outback, what the h*ll, it's Gophers time to catch a break and I think they will!

Not sure if posted or not, but let's look at it like this. Yes, Holiday gets the B1G #4, and TaxSlayer Gator bowl goes to B1G #5, but the Gator Bowl payout is $3.5M, meanwhile the Holiday Bowl payout is $2.35M.

No brainer, bring on War Eagle!

(of course, the Outback Bowl payout is $7.2M, take that into effect about Alvarez wanting San Diego)

Not sure if posted or not, but let's look at it like this. Yes, Holiday gets the B1G #4, and TaxSlayer Gator bowl goes to B1G #5, but the Gator Bowl payout is $3.5M, meanwhile the Holiday Bowl payout is $2.35M.

No brainer, bring on War Eagle!

(of course, the Outback Bowl payout is $7.2M, take that into effect about Alvarez wanting San Diego)

Payout doesn't really matter since the Big Ten splits all bowl revenue equally, which is a good reason for us all to want tOSU to get into the playoffs. It's more money for all of us.

If Wisconsin goes to the Holiday Bowl, the problem is Nebraska has never played in the
Outback Bowl which could push us to the former Gator Bowl or even elsewhere. I wish the Orange Bowl wasn't so apparently dead set on Michigan State. It would mean the Citrus Bowl was still in the mix for us, the Badgers, and the Huskers.

Justin Gaard did a pretty good job dispelling this myth on Friday on Bumper to Bumper. Nebraska travels very well during the regular season, but they only seem to travel well to "big" bowl games. The guy who flies charters out of Lincoln couldn't get enough interest last year to book one plane.

If a bowl passes on us to take Nebraska, I wish they would at least be honest about why they snub us and just come out and say "all we care about is our ability to sell seats, which is why we look at perceived ability to travel rather than what actually took place on the field." If that's what they want to do, so be it, but don't try to BS about it.

Justin Gaard did a pretty good job dispelling this myth on Friday on Bumper to Bumper. Nebraska travels very well during the regular season, but they only seem to travel well to "big" bowl games. The guy who flies charters out of Lincoln couldn't get enough interest last year to book one plane.

Yup. We sold just as many tickets as them last year. I'd be shocked if we got bumped to Jacksonville for Nebraska, a team we beat, that just lost their coach and hasn't traveled well recently. But, this process is so crazy that it seems anything goes. I guess I could see the WI to Holiday and MN to Outback outcome happen more than NE to Holiday and MN to TaxSlayer. In terms of the game, I would MUCH rather take my chance with USC than Auburn. That game would scare me to death.

I still think the travel thing is over played. I will not go to Nashville or Dallas or any other lesser bowl. Tampa or San Diego are in play with my wife and I.

If we miss out on the Outback and Holiday, I'd rather just end up in Santa Clara I think. Winnable game (likely vs Stanford) and a much, much, much more appealing travel destination than either Jacksonville or Nashville.

Top Bottom