Jerry Lee Lewis, rock 'n' roll pioneer and perpetual ball of fire, dies at 87

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

For the longest time, it seemed that if Jerry Lee Lewis wasn’t dead already, then obviously nothing could kill him. But what alcohol, painkillers, a perforated stomach ulcer, angry fathers and general recklessness couldn’t do, advancing age finally did. The seemingly indestructible rock ‘n’ roll wild man died Friday at 87 at his home in DeSoto County, Mississippi, near Memphis, his representative confirmed to USA TODAY in a statement.

Along with Little Richard and Fats Domino, Lewis established the piano as a rock ’n’ roll instrument. In 1957, his "Whole Lot of Shakin’ Going On" and "Great Balls of Fire," two of the most outrageous hits of rock ’n’ roll’s first generation, ignited the pop, country and R&B charts simultaneously.

Lewis didn’t just play the piano, he attacked it, pummeling the lower register with rock-steady left-hand lines and ripping across the keyboard with slashing glissandos. He smashed the keys with his foot; he kicked the piano stool out from under him and continued to pound away.

Go Gophers!!

Last of the big stars of early rock and roll. I thought he was the absolute last but I just learned Wanda Jackson is still around. The man was, to put it mildly, difficult but there was no denying his energy.

Crazy trivia, Jerry Lee, Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggart were cousins who grew up together.

Enjoy one of the greatest live perfromances ever.

Last edited:

Legend. His Europe shows in the 70's are crazy good.

Dude was a rocker. Guaranteed funnier than Saget. Some say he committed a bad crime.

I was fortunate enough yo see him about ~ten years ago in NYC @ BB King’s joint.

He played 45 minute set (that’s all that was needed) and it was tight and electric and sitting in the next area was Stevie Van Zandt - real recognize real. Yes he had the do rag on and I was tempted to scamper off with his wife’s fur coat.

Last edited:

Somewhat later in life, one of my favorites... after The Killer returned to his country roots, covering Hank Williams... an example of Jerry Lee's keyboard virtuosity...

I realize he came out of that Southern background, so the culture was a little different.

But still, marrying your 13-year-old 2nd Cousin is..............something.

and - it was his 3rd marriage. and he was still only 22 years old!

it is alleged that he married his 2nd wife before the divorce from the 1st wife was final.

and he allegedly married his 3rd wife - Myra - before the divorce from the 2nd wife was final.

Myra had her first child with Jerry at the age of 14.

too bleepin' crazy to be true - but it was.

I realize he came out of that Southern background, so the culture was a little different.

But still, marrying your 13-year-old 2nd Cousin is..............something.

and - it was his 3rd marriage. and he was still only 22 years old!

it is alleged that he married his 2nd wife before the divorce from the 1st wife was final.

and he allegedly married his 3rd wife - Myra - before the divorce from the 2nd wife was final.

Myra had her first child with Jerry at the age of 14.

too bleepin' crazy to be true - but it was.
Future rock stars needed a blue print.

Top Bottom