Jerry Kill: Wolitarsky's return better than loss of Jones - From Pioneer Press

Iceland12

Reaction score
"Wolitarksy had 10 catches for 106 yards in seven games, including two starts, but missed the last four games because of a high ankle sprain. The 6-foot-3, 226-pound California native was third on the team with 15 catches for 259 yards last season.

He showed his potential with four catches for 94 yards, including a 55-yard touchdown in last year's Texas Bowl loss to Syracuse.

"He's one of our better players," Kill said. "He caught the ball all over the place today. Having him back, and KJ (Maye) and Maxx (Williams) and Isaac Fruechte, Logan Hutton and Eric Carter, those guys have done a great job.

They're all going to have the opportunity to step up. But the biggest key is certainly getting Drew Wolitarsky back.
"I can't say enough about how those guys have practiced. We probably had our best offensive practice execution-wise today. The kids are locked in, and that's exciting for us."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27223729/gophers-jerry-kill-wolitarskys-return-better-than-loss

ajax.php

He also missed part of camp and a couple games at the start of the season due to a shoulder injury. That shoulder limited him for the next few games that he played in as well. The way this article is worded it makes it sound like he was part time player who got a couple starts, which is not the case. He's probably our best receiver, who missed 6 games with injuries, played hurt in a few others and is finally ready to go.

Headlines can be misleading. I saw where Kill said we will be ok and we have good players who will step up. I did not see where he said we are better off with Wolitarsky returning in comparison to our former player. He may think that but he seems to be more classy than that to kick the kid when he is down and out the door. Maybe I read it wrong but it seems to me that the writer took it upon himself to state that.

Headlines can be misleading. I saw where Kill said we will be ok and we have good players who will step up. I did not see where he said we are better off with Wolitarsky returning in comparison to our former player. He may think that but he seems to be more classy than that to kick the kid when he is down and out the door. Maybe I read it wrong but it seems to me that the writer took it upon himself to state that.

At most newspapers the person who writes the headlines is different than the author of the article. Therefore I suspect you are correct.

It'll be good to get him back. He is the best receiver on the team right now that's not wearing a redshirt, and I don't think it's close. If only he could stay healthy.

That title is horribly written. Almost fraudulent. I wouldn't be particularly happy if I were Kill. Could be construed as a quote, and shot at Jones by some (although, not anyone familiar with Jerry Kill).

When did Doogie start writing headlines for the fish wrap east side of the river?

It'll be good to get him back. He is the best receiver on the team right now that's not wearing a redshirt, and I don't think it's close. If only he could stay healthy.

That title is horribly written. Almost fraudulent. I wouldn't be particularly happy if I were Kill. Could be construed as a quote, and shot at Jones by some (although, not anyone familiar with Jerry Kill).

That is what I thought when I read the headline. Just didn't sound like something Kill would do.

A little license taken by the headline writer but not much.

ORLANDO -- Gophers coach Jerry Kill might be short one wide receiver, but in his mind, welcoming another back after an injury makes up for it.
Kill addressed the dismissal of sophomore Donovahn Jones for the first time Monday.

"First of all, I dismissed him before it ever got started," Kill said. "I don't need to explain that. I'm going to concentrate on the ones that focused in and the guys who have been productive. I dismissed him for team policy. That's all I'm going to say about it."

More important to Kill is the fact that sophomore Drew Wolitarsky will return from an ankle injury to play in Thursday's Citrus Bowl against Missouri.

"We got Drew Wolitarsky back. He had a great practice, so we're in good shape," Kill said.

A little license taken by the headline writer but not much.
Except for the part where two completely separate quotes are put together in one headline, which is what a few posters believe to be egregious. I'm inclined to go with TheBulldog on this one "That title is horribly written. Almost fraudulent."

I'm inclined to go with TheBulldog on this one..

You mean when he posted this?

"Just sitting here wondering after reading this asinine thread......Is there anything that the media (in any form) could report about the Gophers (or not report about the Gophers) that wouldn't piss you people off?..

Complain they don't report enough, complain they report too much, complain they're negative on the program, and complain they're overly positive on the program. Complain, complain, complain. There is more time spent complaining about the newspapers around here than actual football conversation. Who really cares? Do you even know what you really want out of them anymore? Or is it just fun to whine?

Why don't you just stop reading/listening/watching if you hate it so much? (I mean really stop, not just say you stop and ask for a copy/paste).

I'm just glad the newspapers put out things to read/watch about the Gopher Football team. That wasn't happening when this program was a laughing stock. To me, reporting just for the sake of reporting, because they know it will get hits, is refreshing. Besides, what else would I do at work all day......work?"

This past couple of weeks and this week in particular after the gallons of ink, hours of radio and multiple daily TV spots pointing out and praising the team, it's hard to believe that anybody who read the link could think it was "almost fraudulent".

Now most people on this thread probably didn't read the article that closely and yes, it was a bad headline, so no reason to rip any of them for being thin skinned or "almost fraudulent". Looking at the posters would be hard to say that any of them "complain, complain, complain".

Oh, that's besides you of course..

You mean when he posted this?

This past couple of weeks and this week in particular after the gallons of ink, hours of radio and multiple daily TV spots pointing out and praising the team, it's hard to believe that anybody who read the link could think it was "almost fraudulent".

Now most people on this thread probably didn't read the article that closely and yes, it was a bad headline, so no reason to rip any of them for being thin skinned or "almost fraudulent". Looking at the posters would be hard to say that any of them "complain, complain, complain".

Oh, that's besides you of course..
I think you misunderstood my comment, so I went back and italicized the quote from TheBulldog that I agreed with. I can't say I agree with everything he's written, which is why I included the part that was pertinent to my point. I didn't read the article, was only commenting on the portion posted in this thread, the headline in particular. I think you're misunderstanding the meaning of "quotes." You can't seem to make up your mind, based on your initial quote, my reply to it, and the bolded part above.

Top Bottom