Jerry Kill with Barreiro at 4:30 today

Mason had Kent State and Kansas to iron out his coaching philosophy before coming to Minnesota. Brew had to learn on the job.

And this is the main reason Brewster should have never been hired in the first place. The Big Ten isn't a place to "learn on the job."

People are wayyyyyy too critical of Brewster. Do you not think that Brewster, given the chance, would have done things totally differently from the beginning if he got the chance? I bet he'd be the first person to admit he made a mistake with Withers and Dunbar and should have stayed with an offense closer to what Mason was running. Actually if he would have just switched to the system we ended 2010 with would have been an improvement in the wins/losses column for Brew.

Mason had Kent State and Kansas to iron out his coaching philosophy before coming to Minnesota. Brew had to learn on the job.
This was not his fault entirely. He was brought here to recruit and put some life into the program....things that Mason didn't or did not want to do. I thought he did a pretty darn good job of it for the most part, but unfortunately this season started out as a disaster.

Brewster worked his ass off and I think he deserves our respect for it. I'm going to predict that Brew lands a head coaching gig somewhere in Texas in the next 5-7 years, my guess is its in Houston. I can see him learning from his mistakes and being a successful coach.

+1, around October I explained why the Gophers would beat Iowa. These are the same reasons why this team will go to a bowl game this season. The mistakes Brewster made that got him fired were made 4 years ago.

I'm going to predict that Brew lands a head coaching gig somewhere in Texas in the next 5-7 years, my guess is its in Houston. I can see him learning from his mistakes and being a successful coach.

Who is going to hire a 55-57 year old Coach that failed miserably at their first gig? I don't disagree that he will do better in another gig, but I don't see him getting that shot.

I think this was easily the best interview with Kill yet. I caught the podcast. Amazing how Jerry has managed to turn even the most irrational critics around.

I guess that Brewster increased the talent base from where Mason left it, yet falls well short of where Kill wants to get it says a whole lot right there. If you go talent base from 2002, yes Mason had a pretty good team. It is after that he did not exert a whole lot of energy bringing in anyone. He scored once or twice with guys like Decker and a few linemen, but the D side of the ball was horrid.

Kill will always be lined up with Brewster the way Brewster was always lined up with Mason. Basically gauging the progress or digression of the team from where it was.

Though I agree with the sentiment that the Big Ten is not the place for a first time HC to learn on the job, it would be interesting to know what happened behind closed doors and how many of the candidates were truly interested or simply exploring the option. Just because someone inquired, their name could have been thrown into the mix as a candidate, though they were really not.

It is a shame Peterson did not step forward before the Brewster hire, but it is what it is.
Today, MN seems to have hired the right guy.

What does encourage me is that when Roof was DC for that year, the defense improved dramatically and Horton's victories at the end of last season send the message that the Gophers can will with the talent they have, they just need good coaching. Coach them up coach Kill.

People are wayyyyyy too critical of Brewster. Do you not think that Brewster, given the chance, would have done things totally differently from the beginning if he got the chance? I bet he'd be the first person to admit he made a mistake with Withers and Dunbar and should have stayed with an offense closer to what Mason was running. Actually if he would have just switched to the system we ended 2010 with would have been an improvement in the wins/losses column for Brew.

This was not his fault entirely. He was brought here to recruit and put some life into the program....things that Mason didn't or did not want to do. I thought he did a pretty darn good job of it for the most part, but unfortunately this season started out as a disaster.

Brewster worked his ass off and I think he deserves our respect for it. I'm going to predict that Brew lands a head coaching gig somewhere in Texas in the next 5-7 years, my guess is its in Houston. I can see him learning from his mistakes and being a successful coach.

and those were serious issues that did stand out and Brewster did work very hard to compensate for that, maybe overly so.

Kill will get the opportunity to coach many of Brewster's recruits in the prime of college career. Lets wait until we see what the players can do and we will know if Brewster was a better recruiter than Mason. We know Mason was a better coach, I believe Brewster was a better recruiter. We also believe that Kill will do a better job coaching the current players than Brewster did, but players like Tripplet (Mason recruit) also improved under Brewster.

If we're comparing strictly talent, I think Brewster was a better recruiter than Mason. Unfortunately, they both had trouble recruiting guys that could stay in school, whether it was academics or character. Yes, they both recruited some outstanding scholars and citizens, but they also had too many players that left school early for one reason or another. I'm hoping Kill can at minimum recruit the same talent while living up to his remarks about recruiting good students.

Everyone has problems keeping kids in school. That is why you can have 85 scholarshps, yet the class limit is 25 (28 counting greyshirts) and most teams are at that limit each year. Believe it or not even kids that don't play sports have a hard time staying in school, I would guess (alert stats guys like dpodoll) that the number of football players that don't get all the way through at one school isn't drastically different from the general student body. Just a guess.

Kill will get the opportunity to coach many of Brewster's recruits in the prime of college career. Lets wait until we see what the players can do and we will know if Brewster was a better recruiter than Mason. We know Mason was a better coach, I believe Brewster was a better recruiter. We also believe that Kill will do a better job coaching the current players than Brewster did, but players like Tripplet (Mason recruit) also improved under Brewster.

At least on the offensive side of the ball...open for debate on the Def.

Everyone has problems keeping kids in school. That is why you can have 85 scholarshps, yet the class limit is 25 (28 counting greyshirts) and most teams are at that limit each year. Believe it or not even kids that don't play sports have a hard time staying in school, I would guess (alert stats guys like dpodoll) that the number of football players that don't get all the way through at one school isn't drastically different from the general student body. Just a guess.

It's a given that not every player that enrolls will stay in school. However, the longer a player is in the program, the better he becomes. It can, and should, be a distinct advantage for a team to start more 4th and 5th year players than their opponents.

It's a given that not every player that enrolls will stay in school. However, the longer a player is in the program, the better he becomes. It can, and should, be a distinct advantage for a team to start more 4th and 5th year players than their opponents.

I wonder what the percentage of kids who sign at a BCS school end up staying at that same school all four or five years? I'm guessing we are below that average most years. Keeping guys in your program is a must to be successful.

What encourage me is that when Roof was DC for that year, the defense improved dramatically and Horton's victories at the end of last season send the message that the Gophers can will with the talent they have, they just need good coaching. Coach them up coach Kill.

Maybe Brewster was coaching them down so all Kill needs to do is coach them.

If we're comparing strictly talent, I think Brewster was a better recruiter than Mason. Unfortunately, they both had trouble recruiting guys that could stay in school, whether it was academics or character. Yes, they both recruited some outstanding scholars and citizens, but they also had too many players that left school early for one reason or another. I'm hoping Kill can at minimum recruit the same talent while living up to his remarks about recruiting good students.

Agree. I thought Brewster's problem is that he approached recruiting the way a pro personnel director approaches scouting. Get big, fast guys and we'll teach them how to play. Problem with that mentality at the college level is that by the time some of these guys learn to play, they are in their last year (or two) of eligibility. Mason had a system and recruited to it. My problem with Mason is that I have a hard time remembering many top-drawer athletes that he would move to defense.

So it's about even in the recruiting department, but I'd never want either of these two to write the "how to" book for prospective recruiters.

Top Bottom