Jerry Kill with Barreiro at 4:30 today

I'll be listening to it.. That's when I'm on my way in to work.

Gaard, anyway we can get more Gopher Football regulars on now that Brew is gone?

It realy doesn't appear to have anything to do with Brewster per se. It will all depend on how the new coaching staff reacts to getting "savaged" by Dan. If I recall correctly Brewster wasn't the only coach to avoid that station until he was fired. Maybe Mason would let assistants and others with the program go on, I don't recall.

Someone take notes please, 'cause I will not be listening (by choice).

Jerry Kill beat cancer.

Even Minnesota sports journalists aren't going to bother Jerry Kill after he beat cancer. He's dealt with negativity everywhere he's been. I think he simply doesn't care what negative types say or do.

"no speed here"

was one of Kills comments. Very interesting after Brewster told us how fast his players were. Thin players in the secondary (which to me means soft). wants more speed, will take a smaller player if he has speed. did a good job not overselling players.

Solid interview. Kill said we definitely need more speed, both through recruiting and in the weigh room. Said that at N. Illinois they would take guys that may not be very tall/big but had speed. Talked about the lack of depth at DB. Question was asked about our lack of defense over the years at UMN, Kill mentioned that defense is key and that most rules help the offense. Also mentioned that 4 OL will probably redshirt while 2 will probably get minutes.

Great interview actually. Its probably on podcast on KFAN website, it was a good listen. DB likes him.

Great interview actually. Its probably on podcast on KFAN website, it was a good listen. DB likes him.

Yep, pretty positive afterwords from both of them. Gaard "mistakenly" said afterwords that we lost one instate recruit to each Wisconsin and Iowa. Wisconsin is correct, but no MN kids signed with Iowa.

Kills take after watching a couple of workouts is we are lacking speed, skill and are thin in the secondary. Speed is very important to him. He is high on DE's Amafuela(sp) and Cockran(sp) and really likes their speed.

His goal is to build and develop a team full of athletes who can run and be physical. Key positions on D are two good DEpass rushers, two lock down corners and a solid MLB.

Missed the interview, but caught Barreiro for the fifteen minutes leading up to five reacting to the interview. I love that he's positive about Kill, but he just continued to savage Brewster (and didn't say anything about Mason). I get the fact that Brewster is still going to be used as the immediate comparison for Kill, but at some point it would be nice for everyone to move on.

I don't suppose anything bad can be said about Mason now that he's a regular guest. Seems to me Barreiro used to toss a few barbs his way, but the Brewster regime seems to be the downpour that washed away any record of previous coaches.

Anyway, good to hear Kill did well.

I really like the interview and Kill did a great job. He commented about how our defensive backs are frail and that we have no team speed. Seemed to be in direct contrast to what Brewster and many posters were saying about this being an athletic and talented team.

Kill also said he can't describe how much affection(respect?) he has for Mason, and would like to sit down with him when schedules permit.

I'm not surprised by Kill's comments at all. I always disagreed with people who were saying that Brewster was a better recruiter than Mason. Only according to the meaningless recruting rankings was Brewster better than Mason, but Mason recruited flat out better football players while he was here than Brewster did. All the proof you need is watching this team the past 2-3 years and seeing Brewster's recruits in action. If it wasn't for Mason recruits like Decker, Triplett, etc Brewster's teams would have been even worse. Kill's comments today just seal the deal.

I don't want to hear anymore comments like..."The one good thing Brewster did here was improve recruiting", it's such a load of cr@p. Brewster flat out recruited WORSE than Mason did and he did not leave Kill with a talented bunch of kids as some on here believe.

Kill also said he can't describe how much affection(respect?) he has for Mason, and would like to sit down with him when schedules permit.

Uh Oh, don't let dpdoll68 see that or he'll never forgive Kill for liking Mason.

Uh Oh, don't let dpdoll68 see that or he'll never forgive Kill for liking Mason.

Yes, because all I've ever done is spoke negatively about Mason. And I've only spoke positively about Brewster. Nope, never done the opposite with either.

Nice job, dummy.

Your right Mase was a stud recruiter. He did so well in fact, that he managed to secure 2 top 5 Minnesota player in 6 years. Meanwhile, Wisconsin and Iowa raid the state and pick up 2-3 starters every year. You are delusional to think that Mason was even average at recruiting. He could have built a heck of a program, and instead opened up the door for our neighbors to have a field day using our players.

In addition, come up with who all of the "great" players were that Mason came up with. He got Maroney, who was legit. Otherwise, he took average guys that other BCS teams weren't offering, put them in a great offensive system, and prayed they scored enough to win.

We have more talent right now than we have had in 10 years. We just had a coach who had no business coaching. He should be strictly a recruiter.

I'm not surprised by Kill's comments at all. I always disagreed with people who were saying that Brewster was a better recruiter than Mason. Only according to the meaningless recruting rankings was Brewster better than Mason, but Mason recruited flat out better football players while he was here than Brewster did. All the proof you need is watching this team the past 2-3 years and seeing Brewster's recruits in action. If it wasn't for Mason recruits like Decker, Triplett, etc Brewster's teams would have been even worse. Kill's comments today just seal the deal.

I don't want to hear anymore comments like..."The one good thing Brewster did here was improve recruiting", it's such a load of cr@p. Brewster flat out recruited WORSE than Mason did and he did not leave Kill with a talented bunch of kids as some on here believe.

I don't think very many people thought that Brewster left Kill with a lot of talent, just considerably more talent and numbers than was left on 2007. That is a fact.

Your right Mase was a stud recruiter. He did so well in fact, that he managed to secure 2 top 5 Minnesota player in 6 years. Meanwhile, Wisconsin and Iowa raid the state and pick up 2-3 starters every year. You are delusional to think that Mason was even average at recruiting. He could have built a heck of a program, and instead opened up the door for our neighbors to have a field day using our players.

In addition, come up with who all of the "great" players were that Mason came up with. He got Maroney, who was legit. Otherwise, he took average guys that other BCS teams weren't offering, put them in a great offensive system, and prayed they scored enough to win.

We have more talent right now than we have had in 10 years. We just had a coach who had no business coaching. He should be strictly a recruiter.

Is that a joke? You truly believe this team has more talent than the 2004 team that had Maroney, Barber, Setterstrom, Eslinger, Spaeth, Russell, and many more players? You are crazy. Brewster was not as good of a recruiter as Mason, period. And I don't look at recruiting rankings to make that statement, I look at how the players actually played, and Mason's teams would blow out any of Brewster's teams easily. We had FAR more talent from 1999-2005 than we do now and it's not even close.

Where Kill is way ahead of Mason.

Jerry Kill emphasizes defense. Mason's defenses were so bad it was laughable--unless you were a Gopher fan crying at the end of another game where Mason's offense moved the ball at will on the ground and still got beat (if not clobbered).

+1

delusional

QUOTE=Bob_Loblaw;360886]I don't think very many people thought that Brewster left Kill with a lot of talent, just considerably more talent and numbers than was left on 2007. That is a fact.[/QUOTE]

you haven't been reading that closely then because yesterday it was posted by a few how full the cupboard Brewster left for Kill. Even more delusion.

We need a brand new Forum titled PISSING CONTESTS. That way there would be one place to go for all of the arguments.

Since when did Dan talk sports? I thought he liked to stick to his version of news. Very good stuff. Like when the NPR folks talk about the superbowl.

Um, yeah, I going to have to disagree with you here. Brewster was a better recruiter than Mason, but Mason was a far superior coach than Brew. Mason did some good things with not so much talent. Brewster was in way over his head on the coaching thing. His D didnt know what to do, but they were alot more athletic than Masons. some of Masons D should have been wearing orange jersays as at times, looked like 11 pylons on the field. Just look at how the team preformed at the end of last season after Horton was coaching them. Same talent , but better coaching and they played like it. the top kids never listened to Mase, they did listen to Brew and I know they will listen to Kill.

People are wayyyyyy too critical of Brewster. Do you not think that Brewster, given the chance, would have done things totally differently from the beginning if he got the chance? I bet he'd be the first person to admit he made a mistake with Withers and Dunbar and should have stayed with an offense closer to what Mason was running. Actually if he would have just switched to the system we ended 2010 with would have been an improvement in the wins/losses column for Brew.

Mason had Kent State and Kansas to iron out his coaching philosophy before coming to Minnesota. Brew had to learn on the job.
This was not his fault entirely. He was brought here to recruit and put some life into the program....things that Mason didn't or did not want to do. I thought he did a pretty darn good job of it for the most part, but unfortunately this season started out as a disaster.

Brewster worked his ass off and I think he deserves our respect for it. I'm going to predict that Brew lands a head coaching gig somewhere in Texas in the next 5-7 years, my guess is its in Houston. I can see him learning from his mistakes and being a successful coach.

Jerry Kill emphasizes defense. Mason's defenses were so bad it was laughable--unless you were a Gopher fan crying at the end of another game where Mason's offense moved the ball at will on the ground and still got beat (if not clobbered).

+1

I'll take the bait... I was for the Mason firing and for the Brewster hiring for all the obvious reasons. Mason is very well respected in the coaching ranks. He had a system for success. His problem was being able to he a system established on the defensive side of the ball. However, looking back, Mason had quite a few DB's get looks in the NFL.

Top Bottom