Jerry Kill - Dunkers

IronRanger91

Reaction score
I see Jerry Kill was scheduled to speak at Dunkers the morning of NMSU's game with the Gophers. Apparently some blow back as Gaardsie is now reporting the event has been canceled. What were they thinking?

Barreiro had a pretty good rant about this yesterday

Good stuff. I just missed hearing this live because I got home during the pop warner segment at the start.

Dunkers must have gotten some serious flack for this one to so quickly change and cancel the event. Not sure what they were thinking in the first place.....just an idiotic decision to even book Kill to come speak on the day of the game.

Good stuff. I just missed hearing this live because I got home during the pop warner segment at the start.

Dunkers must have gotten some serious flack for this one to so quickly change and cancel the event. Not sure what they were thinking in the first place.....just an idiotic decision to even book Kill to come speak on the day of the game.
Idiotic in general after he went scorched Earth on the U!

I fail to understand the big deal. Jerry Kill had some valuable off field accomplishments here. Not thinking he was going to breakdown the game or analyze the current coaching going on. Like many people he said some things off the cuff but that was a long time ago.

I fail to understand the big deal. Jerry Kill had some valuable off field accomplishments here. Not thinking he was going to breakdown the game or analyze the current coaching going on. Like many people he said some things off the cuff but that was a long time ago.
I'm guessing he would have used at least some of the time to rip on Fleck and the way he felt he was wronged by the university. Remember this is a guy that previously said he would never set foot in the state again. He gets nothing out of doing this if he doesn't at least use part of the time to get some of that out.

I could maybe buy into this thinking if he apologized or showed some remorse for his idiotic comments. If not I'll assume he's the same over-sensitive man with the maturity level of a teenager.

Has he retracted those said statements? Until he does, he can buzz off.

Is Rebecca still Jerry's better half? I've seen vague references that insinuate they are no longer together.

Epilepsy Foundation? Yes. Dunkers? No.

"Save the Date

It's in the works! Check back for details on our next meeting!

We don’t want to put either Coach Kill or the Gopher program in an uncomfortable position so we figured it made sense to not move ahead with that program. We are looking at other programs for a later date so stay tuned. "

https://www.twincitiesdunkers.com/

It's a unique situation. a former Gopher head coach returning to MN to coach against his old team.

from that angle, the folks at Dunkers probably thought it might draw a few more people.

and - the Dunkers crew is older. they're probably not as tuned in to the social media chatter and all of the "feud" talk.

I honestly don't think Kill would have come in and blasted Fleck or the U of MN. I suspect he would have told a few stories from his days coaching the Gophers and praised some of his former players.

no, Kill's time at MN did not end well. but how long does the statute of limitations last on holding a grudge?

you can argue that the invitation should never have been extended. but, once extended, withdrawing it doesn't look good, either.

It's a unique situation. a former Gopher head coach returning to MN to coach against his old team.

from that angle, the folks at Dunkers probably thought it might draw a few more people.

and - the Dunkers crew is older. they're probably not as tuned in to the social media chatter and all of the "feud" talk.

I honestly don't think Kill would have come in and blasted Fleck or the U of MN. I suspect he would have told a few stories from his days coaching the Gophers and praised some of his former players.

no, Kill's time at MN did not end well. but how long does the statute of limitations last on holding a grudge?

you can argue that the invitation should never have been extended. but, once extended, withdrawing it doesn't look good, either.
Surely you see the irony in asking this question?

At first, I was surprised when I had heard the Dunker's group asked him to speak. Later I mellowed and felt that yes, he would tell some stories while he was here, perhaps experiencing elsewhere. I really doubt that he would stoop so low to take shots at the Gophers while speaking at the Dunkers. I'm sure one of the folks at Dunker's club would simply cut him off. Maybe not.

Grudges shouldn't be held forever and perhaps this would have been very good for Kill to work on his personal life by stating a few things that would allow him to heal. It's simply not healthy to hold a grudge or not forgive someone.

At the end of the day, I feel we made a mistake backing off from having him speak. No one really hasn't said anything as to all the cons of having him speak. What are they? It's not like having a Wisconsin or Iowa coach speak.

Barreiro rants too childishly and repeats himself way too much for me to take time to listen.

What value did he bring to the program apart from being better than Brewster?

Don’t say kids with cancer or charity, because literally every coach has done community service with his team

At first, I was surprised when I had heard the Dunker's group asked him to speak. Later I mellowed and felt that yes, he would tell some stories while he was here, perhaps experiencing elsewhere. I really doubt that he would stoop so low to take shots at the Gophers while speaking at the Dunkers. I'm sure one of the folks at Dunker's club would simply cut him off. Maybe not.

Grudges shouldn't be held forever and perhaps this would have been very good for Kill to work on his personal life by stating a few things that would allow him to heal. It's simply not healthy to hold a grudge or not forgive someone.

At the end of the day, I feel we made a mistake backing off from having him speak. No one really hasn't said anything as to all the cons of having him speak. What are they? It's not like having a Wisconsin or Iowa coach speak.

Barreiro rants too childishly and repeats himself way too much for me to take time to listen.
The cons of having him speak is if he trashed the current coach and program and you give him a platform to do it

Does anyone know, would he get paid for speaking at an event like this? I'm just trying to figure out how this would benefit him now. Doing it while he's coaching locally makes sense to help promote the program. No one there would care about New Mexico St. The only two things I can think of is he's doing it just for the money (if he gets paid) or he's doing it to get a chance to rip Fleck and the U.

Last edited:

Don’t say kids with cancer or charity, because literally every coach has done community service with his team
Short memory? How was Coach Brew doing with team GPA? Do you remember Coach Brew doing much for community outreach? His players?
Seems tome there was huge difference between Kill and Brewster.
Jerry got pissy and many will not forgive him. I think he was petty but am ready to move on.

I'm thinking by way of getting your life in order, get good grades, work hard, don't be one to let your teammates down by not attending class and so forth. Apparently, it was very common for the players not to attend class or be a good student for a while. We've since seen an improvement in grades from the players since then. Of course, Fleck really stresses that.

Grudges shouldn’t be held forever…as Kill still holds a grudge. The cons are he went scorched earth on the school and current head coach and hasn’t apologized. Why allow that behavior then have him speak the same day he is coaching against the person and individual he blasted?

You also used “we” so hopefully you and the fellow dunkers can get someone good. We know you don’t like Barriero because he called out your group.

Short memory? How was Coach Brew doing with team GPA? Do you remember Coach Brew doing much for community outreach? His players?
Seems tome there was huge difference between Kill and Brewster.
Jerry got pissy and many will not forgive him. I think he was petty but am ready to move on.
Seems to me you have selective memory

Reactions: MRJ

I'm thinking by way of getting your life in order, get good grades, work hard, don't be one to let your teammates down by not attending class and so forth. Apparently, it was very common for the players not to attend class or be a good student for a while. We've since seen an improvement in grades from the players since then. Of course, Fleck really stresses that.
Who sold you that narrative?
I know plenty of players from the Brewster era who went to class and treated people well.

Reactions: MRJ

I mentioned in another thread on this that I don't mind them bringing him back for a day during the offseason. I just think it's bad to have any opposing coach in on game day.

Having said that, I'm not sure why you don't think Kill would come in and blast Fleck or the U of MN. One of his rants occurred when he did a radio (or podcast?) interview a couple years ago. They were wrapping up the interview and the hosts were saying goodbye/thank you and Kill basically said, "Wait a minute ..." and went on a bashing spree. He wasn't asked about Fleck; he went out of his way to make sure he was heard. Has time and a few more coaching stops softened his pain? Maybe. But I sure wouldn't bet on him keeping quiet while surrounded by a group of supporters.

One of the common elements of the Kill and Fleck eras is solid or better academics. Kill turned around a long-running problem with Gopher football academics, and Fleck has overseen additional academic improvement.

Jerry kill is a two-faced, self-absorbed, blow-hard who quit on his team in the middle of the season and has been bad-mouthing the school and the current coach ever since. So, by all means, give him a platform at Dunkers to spew his pathetic nonsense.

Got the administration in line, was very good at fundraising.

Got the administration in line, was very good at fundraising.
Nobody before him ever fundraised or tried to work with the administration

TCF stadium was literally built before he got here.

Last edited:

Top Bottom