Jerry Kill: “I’ve been known as a fix-it guy. We’ll see if I still have that title or get fired. I’m like anybody else.”

There is no reason to believe that Kill would have ever made a change on Limegrover and Zebrowski, and there's no reason to believe the offense would have improved as long as Limey and Z were still in place. The first thing Claeys did when he got the HC job was to fire both of them. That says it all right there.

Get real. Kill ran his offense and Limegrover was a part-time OC who didn't even want to be that. Limey saw himself as an OL coach only. Doing both roles is too big of a job for anybody. The reason Kill wanted Limegrover as his OC was because he knew Limey would be ok with a diminished role in game planning and play calling.

Probably some of the first part and a lot of the last part. Personally as an assistant under Patterson, especially an offensive assistant, I would not be crazy about it. Feels kind of big brotherish to bring in a former coach to be on staff and to evaluate your current coaches.
Especially someone like Kill. Not exactly a big name in the college football coaching world. I'm surprised Patterson couldn't have found someone better with the success they've had (not so recent success, but still).

And also, who refers to himself as a "fit-it" guy? I've never heard him be called that, and I don't dig self-proclaimed nicknames.

There is a Bro-Code rule, that states that you cannot create your own nickname.

I emailed Jerry when he made the comments about Fleck. I told him he disappointed me in that I've always supported the program and supported him as coach. I told him I helped pay his large salary. For shits and giggles, I left him my phone number on my email more to show I was serious. I also said in the email to quit calling what he left a gold mine. I listed the qb's and how the whole secondary was depleted due to the incident. It was somewhat of a scathing letter.

Probably 45 minutes later, I received a call from an unknown number. I'd totally forgotten about leaving my phone number on the email. Sometimes I will answer those and sometimes I won't. I answered and it was Jerry. I bet we talked for 30 minutes.

It was almost surreal. It was like I was in the driver's seat, because of what he'd said. We talked about the program, his health, he was telling me foods he could eat and couldn't......hell, he even asked me about my job and we chatted about that for a good 5 minutes.

My respect for him went up greatly.

With that being said, I couldn't stand our passing offense. I just literally despised it. I was still pissed off about the comment though.

He told me what his problem is with Fleck in a round about way. I will not share that here. It was not football related or jealousy.

It’d be a whole lot cooler if you did. Did he defend the goldmine comment?

poor old jerry kill (no caps are required)...he cried on TV that he couldn't coach any longer. Big Joke. Go Jerry Go...be all that you can be. You disrepected many people here. Please please just go away. All I can see is you crying on TV that you can no longer be a coach. REALLY? REALLY?

poor old jerry kill (no caps are required)...he cried on TV that he couldn't coach any longer. Big Joke. Go Jerry Go...be all that you can be. You disrepected many people here. Please please just go away. All I can see is you crying on TV that you can no longer be a coach. REALLY? REALLY?
Was never impressed with him as a head coach.

Jerry Kill deserves so much more credit than he gets around here. Some of that is his own doing, not really with the results on the field, but his mouth after leaving the program. I'm extremely happy that we ultimately landed PJ, but also grateful what Kill did here. Without the health concerns, Kill would have kept this program relative for as long as the AD/fans wanted him. I'm a fan of his, and what he did for this program. Kill was the stabilizer this program needed after Brewster.

It’d be a whole lot cooler if you did. Did he defend the goldmine comment?

It never came up on the phone. He was apologizing in a round about way for what he said about Fleck. That was enough for me. I was almost in shock for 10 minutes, because it was Jerry Kill.

Jerry Kill deserves so much more credit than he gets around here. Some of that is his own doing, not really with the results on the field, but his mouth after leaving the program. I'm extremely happy that we ultimately landed PJ, but also grateful what Kill did here. Without the health concerns, Kill would have kept this program relative for as long as the AD/fans wanted him. I'm a fan of his, and what he did for this program. Kill was the stabilizer this program needed after Brewster.

I fully agree, especially about the relative part. There's little doubt the success of the program would have remained relative under his watch.

I agree but to get respect you need to give respect. My heart dropped when Jerry had to retire but I don't know if I agree with more than one or two decisions since he "retired." Go be a special assistant the AD at K-State or Southern Ill and that is fine. Jumping from coaching job to coaching job, going out of your way to talk bad about Fleck, saying you'll never step foot on the campus again, etc is all on Jerry. Take a hike pal.

Appear’s he is happy.... I hope his spouse is happy cuz when my friends have gone thu this job hopping the marriage fails 100% of the time.

I agree but to get respect you need to give respect. My heart dropped when Jerry had to retire but I don't know if I agree with more than one or two decisions since he "retired." Go be a special assistant the AD at K-State or Southern Ill and that is fine. Jumping from coaching job to coaching job, going out of your way to talk bad about Fleck, saying you'll never step foot on the campus again, etc is all on Jerry. Take a hike pal.
Exactly....

I do wish him well however, guess I just will not get over the Fleck bashing, and he instigated it, that was very disappointing!!

I loved Jerry, but...

Let's just say it's almost unreal how fast we've gone from "Streveler had to transfer to South Dakota to learn how to play quarterback" to "Wide Receiver U."

Why is he at TCU? Perhaps the fact they were best men at each other’s wedding had something to do with it. Or perhaps, for Kill this was his “ last call”.

He was 14-21 here.

Based on what? He was never going to get rid of Limegrover and they showed a true inability to recruit the QB and WR positions. So what was going to magically make the offense get better after 5+ years?

Kill's style was run the ball and play defense. Why do you think there is a running joke around here when Kill keeps getting hired to run offenses.....because our offense when he was here was just not impressive at all. Compare what we did last year to anything we saw during the Kill years. The offense now, is light years ahead of anything we were putting on the field back then. There were honestly times during the Kill years where it felt like the forward pass was some new concept that they were not really sure how to use. So how would his offense have evolved if he had more time?

Figured I would try and take this thread in a slightly different direction than the usual Kill thread these days which eventually just becomes people talking about how they liked him when he was here and how most don't like what he has done since he left.

Most of his strategy was Tressel (Jim)/ Earl Bruce/ Woody Hayes ball. It can be effective. We saw that. The conservative offense helps the defense out if you can get a few first downs. It's all about keeping the defense off of the field with time of possession. Defense stays rested and can't get scored on if they are not on the field.

Fleck ball is a much more dynamic version of the same. At the core both are about time of possession. The run pass mix is much more difficult to defend because the offense can do both effectively.

Sorry Mitch.
rcleQQh.jpg

Sorry Mitch.

There were a lot of good things about Mitch Leidner and I don't think all the criticism directed at him was all his fault, either. He was a tough kid, ran extremely hard and would have probably excelled at another position such as LB or TE.

I didn't like the offense he was in and I think he would have posted far better numbers in PJ Fleck's offense than what he had to deal with. The offense he was in was excruciating to watch, such as running 20 QB draws a game. He gave his best for the Gophers and I appreciate it.

Top Bottom