Jerry Kill: “I’ve been known as a fix-it guy. We’ll see if I still have that title or get fired. I’m like anybody else.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chuck:

Jerry Kill knows new boss Gary Patterson and the college football coaching drill awfully well.

He’s been the head coach at five schools, most recently at Minnesota from 2011-15. Even after health issues forced him to resign, he’s been in demand as a consultant and assistant, which is what brought him to TCU.

“I’ve been known as a fix-it guy,” Kill said a media teleconference Monday. “We’ll see if I still have that title or get fired. I’m like anybody else.”

Officially, Kill’s new title at TCU is “special assistant to the head coach in charge of offense” under Patterson. He’s not the primary play-caller and isn’t part of the official coaching staff. Still, his hire is big on a reworked offensive staff.

Kill said his role is to coach the coaches, which frees up Patterson to focus on the defense, his specialty.

“He told me to evaluate everybody, and that’s what I’ve done,” Kill said. “He even goes, ‘I want you to evaluate me.’ I just say what I think.”

Go Gophers!!

I love the job that Jerry Kill did for the Gophers and he was a breath of fresh air after the disastrous Tim Brewster regime, but when I see him with 5 different jobs in the last 5 years I see some serious red flags. If he was instrumental in helping the teams he would be sticking around a little longer.

I love the job that Jerry Kill did for the Gophers and he was a breath of fresh air after the disastrous Tim Brewster regime, but when I see him with 5 different jobs in the last 5 years I see some serious red flags. If he was instrumental in helping the teams he would be sticking around a little longer.

Jerry seemed like the ultimate 'head coach' kinda guy. I'm not sure he can stay away from coaching ... but i'm also not sure he can handle a 'not head coach' type role.

Jerry seemed like the ultimate 'head coach' kinda guy. I'm not sure he can stay away from coaching ... but i'm also not sure he can handle a 'not head coach' type role.
ol’ jer’ is a ball coach. it’s who he is, it’s in his blood. he turned boys into men and football was his vehicle. :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. in addition to being a self-proclaimed "fix it guy" with football programs, he's also a "fix it guy" for the thousands of players who came into his program as boys, and left as men. no doubt jer' and rebecca must feel there is a need for him at tcu, and their boys will surely benefit.

I still like and respect Jerry. I'm not on board with the "hate him because he isn't our guy anymore" crowd. He's a heck of a coach, and he knows the game inside and out.

As far as mocking his offenses is concerned, it's true that the defense came along faster than the offense while he was here, but given 100% health and more time to do his thing, I have no doubt that the offense would have been great, too.

I still like and respect Jerry. I'm not on board with the "hate him because he isn't our guy anymore" crowd. He's a heck of a coach, and he knows the game inside and out.

As far as mocking his offenses is concerned, it's true that the defense came along faster than the offense while he was here, but given 100% health and more time to do his thing, I have no doubt that the offense would have been great, too.

Based on what? He was never going to get rid of Limegrover and they showed a true inability to recruit the QB and WR positions. So what was going to magically make the offense get better after 5+ years?

Kill's style was run the ball and play defense. Why do you think there is a running joke around here when Kill keeps getting hired to run offenses.....because our offense when he was here was just not impressive at all. Compare what we did last year to anything we saw during the Kill years. The offense now, is light years ahead of anything we were putting on the field back then. There were honestly times during the Kill years where it felt like the forward pass was some new concept that they were not really sure how to use. So how would his offense have evolved if he had more time?

Figured I would try and take this thread in a slightly different direction than the usual Kill thread these days which eventually just becomes people talking about how they liked him when he was here and how most don't like what he has done since he left.

Mr. Conservative O working with the wide open fun n gun in the Big Twelve. Jerry knows football and will benefit TCU with coaching/observations, but this style will drive him nuts and raise his bp.

Jerry had A LOT of time to build that team, the offense was pretty middling that entire time.

I never felt they were on the verge or breaking out, quite the opposite.

Mr. Conservative O working with the wide open fun n gun in the Big Twelve. Jerry knows football and will benefit TCU with coaching/observations, but this style will drive him nuts and raise his bp.

Guys just hear me out on this!!!!

Jerry is that you?!??!? How did you get a headset???

Guys we should run up the middle!

Damn it Jerry....

In theory, there is nothing wrong with the idea of bringing in someone from outside the organization to take a fresh look at what you're doing and how you do it. It's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day stuff and wind up not being able to see the forest for the trees.

So, bringing in a guy with head-coaching experience to critique the operation could be a good thing - proving that the head coach trusts the consultant and is willing to accept suggestions.

either that, or Patterson just wanted to create a job for his buddy.

This is a thing? I think the people that dislike him most are because of his comments since he left.

In theory, there is nothing wrong with the idea of bringing in someone from outside the organization to take a fresh look at what you're doing and how you do it. It's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day stuff and wind up not being able to see the forest for the trees.

So, bringing in a guy with head-coaching experience to critique the operation could be a good thing - proving that the head coach trusts the consultant and is willing to accept suggestions.

either that, or Patterson just wanted to create a job for his buddy.

Probably some of the first part and a lot of the last part. Personally as an assistant under Patterson, especially an offensive assistant, I would not be crazy about it. Feels kind of big brotherish to bring in a former coach to be on staff and to evaluate your current coaches.

There is no reason to believe that Kill would have ever made a change on Limegrover and Zebrowski, and there's no reason to believe the offense would have improved as long as Limey and Z were still in place. The first thing Claeys did when he got the HC job was to fire both of them. That says it all right there.

Look at the level of QB and WR that Fleck has brought in versus what Kill did (in more time). You could probably say the same about the level of athlete he brought in on defense, but it seemed he was much more capable “coaching up” the underrecruited defensive players over the offensive players. If you want to hire him to be an assistant head coach, player liaison, academics monitoring, etc., I would say that’s a good hire. Those are things he excelled at. To give him any responsibility over your offense seems like an odd choice, as that was about the worst part of his tenure.

This is the most interesting aspect for me.
TCU went from Conference USA to mountain west to big 12 In like 9 years because they played great defense.
Then they implemented a high flying offense and were a legit national championship contender the first year of the playoff.

They now hire a Tailor-made For the Midwest ground and pound guy to fix it all.

maybe this is an admission by Patterson that as a member of the big 12 TCU can’t be long term viable by trying to beat Oklahoma at their own game. Have to do something different to have a chance against Oklahoma’s spread for now.

I don't hate Kill because he is not here anymore, I think less of him because of what he said about PJ. I would think the same about PJ, if he left and then ripped our new head coach.

Old and sad news. Nobody mentioned him wanting a sandbag schedule. Dropped North Carolina wanted to drop tcu old jer likes jer and I'm really tired of the guy and his job jumping. The most sensitive insecure coach minny ever had

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. in addition to being a self-proclaimed "fix it guy" with football programs, he's also a "fix it guy" for the thousands of players who came into his program as boys, and left as men. no doubt jer' and rebecca must feel there is a need for him at tcu, and their boys will surely benefit.
FYI I beat you to it. ?

He should just take up fly fishing or something.

Old and sad news. Nobody mentioned him wanting a sandbag schedule. Dropped North Carolina wanted to drop tcu old jer likes jer and I'm really tired of the guy and his job jumping. The most sensitive insecure coach minny ever had
No Minnesota or self respecting Gophers fan has ever called the U or the Gophers, Minny, EVER! Gophers fan's do not use the term Minny for anything.

I emailed Jerry when he made the comments about Fleck. I told him he disappointed me in that I've always supported the program and supported him as coach. I told him I helped pay his large salary. For shits and giggles, I left him my phone number on my email more to show I was serious. I also said in the email to quit calling what he left a gold mine. I listed the qb's and how the whole secondary was depleted due to the incident. It was somewhat of a scathing letter.

Probably 45 minutes later, I received a call from an unknown number. I'd totally forgotten about leaving my phone number on the email. Sometimes I will answer those and sometimes I won't. I answered and it was Jerry. I bet we talked for 30 minutes.

It was almost surreal. It was like I was in the driver's seat, because of what he'd said. We talked about the program, his health, he was telling me foods he could eat and couldn't......hell, he even asked me about my job and we chatted about that for a good 5 minutes.

My respect for him went up greatly.

With that being said, I couldn't stand our passing offense. I just literally despised it. I was still pissed off about the comment though.

He told me what his problem is with Fleck in a round about way. I will not share that here. It was not football related or jealousy.

per Chuck:

Jerry Kill knows new boss Gary Patterson and the college football coaching drill awfully well.

He’s been the head coach at five schools, most recently at Minnesota from 2011-15. Even after health issues forced him to resign, he’s been in demand as a consultant and assistant, which is what brought him to TCU.

“I’ve been known as a fix-it guy,” Kill said a media teleconference Monday. “We’ll see if I still have that title or get fired. I’m like anybody else.”

Officially, Kill’s new title at TCU is “special assistant to the head coach in charge of offense” under Patterson. He’s not the primary play-caller and isn’t part of the official coaching staff. Still, his hire is big on a reworked offensive staff.

Kill said his role is to coach the coaches, which frees up Patterson to focus on the defense, his specialty.

“He told me to evaluate everybody, and that’s what I’ve done,” Kill said. “He even goes, ‘I want you to evaluate me.’ I just say what I think.”

Go Gophers!!
Called 360 review. Love it

Top Bottom