Jerru Kill Is Already Looking Forward to Summer - From Pioneer Press

Iceland12

Reaction score
http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...s-to-take-advantage-of-new-ncaa-summer-rules/

Spring practice is a week away. But Gophers football coach Jerry Kill is already looking forward to the summer when an NCAA rule is put into action allowing coaches to meet with their players.

The NCAA agreed on the eight-hour weekly workout rule for eight weeks of summer in football in October. It had already been in place for basketball. The only difference is that Football Bowl Subdivision players can only interact with coaches for team video, weight lifting and conditioning sessions.

“We can actually, instead of voluntarily, we can go ahead and make them lift weights, which has not been in the past,” Kill said Monday. “Then you get a chance to spend time with them in the film room. It’s still got to stay within the eight-hour rules. We can’t go out there and practice with them. But the NCAA has bent a little bit so you can actually have some meeting time.”.

– Probable No. 1 quarterback Mitch Leidner continues to impress Kill, especially as a leader this offseason.

“He gets everybody lined up, takes charge and goes “Hey, Let’s go! This is the way it’s going, men! This is what we’re going to do!” Kill said Monday. “He lined them up and every single drill and exercise we did, we were like that (Kill snapped his finger). We haven’t had somebody step out of the box in leadership roles (before).”

Senior safety Cedric Thompson is also understanding the responsibilities that he has to take on as a leader on defense.

The Gophers have a rule that if a player misses a class he will have to run. If he misses class twice, then the whole position group has to run. And the guy who made the mistake has to watch his teammates sweat.

Thompson told Kill it wasn’t easy to do but he would try to keep all of his secondary teammates in line.

“He embraces that idea,” Kill said. “He said, ‘I want to be the leader.’ We haven’t had those type of situations since I’ve been here. I’m encouraged by that. Each year we get a little better. Each year the schedule gets tougher. But if you want to win and be successful, you’re going to have to do that.”

Coach Kill says he has no hobbies, just football. Now we're all looking forward to summer, but apparently for different reasons. I'm looking forward to warm weather, green grass and leaves, and lakes that are liquid rather than solid. Kill's looking forward to meeting with players. I guess that's why he's the coach! :clap:

I'm looking forward to that lst Spring practice

From Wookieepedia:

Jerru was a male Ithorian craftsman who was highly skilled in the ancient craft of plant-forming. Jerru plied his trade aboard the Ithorian Herdship, Bazaar, where he additionally acted as a front for Poliss, a Rebel recruiter.

It's refreshing to be at the point where Kill wants to use spring practice as a chance for the young players to get better and for the established veterans to avoid injury. When Kill took over, the purpose of spring practice was to teach the entire team about fundamentals and how to practice.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...s-to-take-advantage-of-new-ncaa-summer-rules/

Spring practice is a week away. But Gophers football coach Jerry Kill is already looking forward to the summer when an NCAA rule is put into action allowing coaches to meet with their players.

The NCAA agreed on the eight-hour weekly workout rule for eight weeks of summer in football in October. It had already been in place for basketball. The only difference is that Football Bowl Subdivision players can only interact with coaches for team video, weight lifting and conditioning sessions.

“We can actually, instead of voluntarily, we can go ahead and make them lift weights, which has not been in the past,” Kill said Monday. “Then you get a chance to spend time with them in the film room. It’s still got to stay within the eight-hour rules. We can’t go out there and practice with them. But the NCAA has bent a little bit so you can actually have some meeting time.”.

This will be an interesting one to see how teams use it. They already have "voluntary" summer conditioning so I would assume that summer conditioning will remain "voluntary" and now they can just add in the extra meeting time under the new rules.

I have always loved the concept of voluntary workouts or practices in sports at the D1 level. Sure the coaches can't technically punish a guy that doesn't show up but you are a fool not to be there if you have any designs on seeing the field.

[QUOTE Spring practice is a week away. But Gophers football coach Jerry Kill is already looking forward to the summer...[/FONT][/QUOTE]

He's not the only one!

It's refreshing to be at the point where Kill wants to use spring practice as a chance for the young players to get better and for the established veterans to avoid injury. When Kill took over, the purpose of spring practice was to teach the entire team about fundamentals and how to practice.

Excellent point. Now spring is about development instead of learning and installation of systems/schemes.

It's almost funny to think about coach Kill's tone that first spring and into fall versus now. He doesn't pull punches about where the program is at and he's pretty darn accurate.

Yeah. I guess. It got me all thinking weird. Like, the NCAA thought; "hey, its still summer in October around the the tropic of Capricorn, you can have your meetings then."

But I guess my reading comprehension needs work.

Sent from my MUCH i5 using Tapatalk

Yeah. I guess. It got me all thinking weird. Like, the NCAA thought; "hey, its still summer in October around the the tropic of Capricorn, you can have your meetings then."

But I guess my reading comprehension needs work.

Sent from my MUCH i5 using Tapatalk

Nope, their writing needs work.

Top Bottom