Jeff Jones

Maroon92

Reaction score
I have seen conflicting posts and articles about him-- is he hurt or did he play this past weekend on special teams?

From Saturday against Kent St. Apparently he played.

Player participation:

Minnesota: 1Z-Gant, Desmond, 2-Gentry, Isaiah, 3C-McKelvey, John, 3-Hardin, KiAnte, 5-Myrick, Jalen, 8-McGhee, D, 9-Carter, Eric,
9A-Keith, Alex, 13-Celestin, J, 15-Williams, E, 16-Jones, Jeff, 18-Santoso, Ryan, 20-Huff, Julian, 21-Holland, Melvin,
22-James, Craig, 25-Jordahl, Payton, 27-Brooks, Shannon, 28-Gibson, Jerry, 34-Shenault, A, 35-Williams, R., 37-Mortell, Peter,
43-Hartmann, Tyler, 48-Weber, Blake, 56-Rallis, Nick, 68-Hayes, Isaac, 77-Bush, Foster, 78-Lauer, Ben, 82-Wolitarsky,Drew,
83-Scarver, Noah, 87-Elmore, Gaelin, 88-Still, Rashad, 99-Stelter, Andrew.

I thought I saw him in on at least one play split wide. However, in his two games, I don't believe he has touched the ball.

I thought I saw him in on at least one play split wide. However, in his two games, I don't believe he has touched the ball.

This, I recall seeing him at WR on at least one play. Very limited time on the field (a couple plays max) and no opportunities to get the ball in his hands though. Completely uneducated guess is he's finding it hard to pick up the playbook and/or we're not opening up the playbook to get him involved just yet (just the RUTM, roll and throw to TE, chuck it down the field stuff for the most part).

This, I recall seeing him at WR on at least one play. Very limited time on the field (a couple plays max) and no opportunities to get the ball in his hands though. Completely uneducated guess is he's finding it hard to pick up the playbook and/or we're not opening up the playbook to get him involved just yet (just the RUTM, roll and throw to TE, chuck it down the field stuff for the most part).

Some have claimed our playbook was purposely limited against Kent State to "not show anything", which could lead some conspirators to believe Jeff has also been kept out of gameplay to not show his talents. Not my opinion - but those dots do connect somewhat.

There is nothing to hide in the playbook! Even at it's most diverse, it is about as basic as it can be.

I saw him rush the punter on a punt return play

Listening to everyone's favorite, Patrick Reusse yesterday; said Para(sp) has been passed by Croft and won't get any playing time here...wasted two years. Said he and Jeff Jones should transfer to NDSU.

I have no idea where he was coming from on the Jeff Jones comment.

Listening to everyone's favorite Patrick Reusse yesterday; said Para(sp) has been passed by Croft and won't get any playing time here...wasted two years. Said he and Jeff Jones should transfer to NDSU.

I have no idea where he was coming from on the Jeff Jones comment.

NDAC didn't want Perra coming out of HS, why would they want him after he's not been able to see the field in two years? Also, I have to think that Perra realized he was more than likely never going to get significant playing time, given that he's not on scholarship. Everything about him has been blown way out of proportion.

He was out there for TCU for several plays and Kent St. on a few plays. All lined up as a WR.

NDAC didn't want Perra coming out of HS, why would they want him after he's not been able to see the field in two years? Also, I have to think that Perra realized he was more than likely never going to get significant playing time, given that he's not on scholarship. Everything about him has been blown way out of proportion.

He's most likely going to be a doctor, so he doesn't really need football. I'd still like to see him play a little though.

There is nothing to hide in the playbook! Even at it's most diverse, it is about as basic as it can be.

There's a decent chance the Gopher offensive playbook is thinner than the Miesville phone book.

He's most likely going to be a doctor, so he doesn't really need football. I'd still like to see him play a little though.

Reports are that he wants to be a coach.

If he is healthy enough to play any plays it is shocking he is not playing running back. Someone else posted if he is going to be a marginal WR why not leave him at his natural position of RB and give him a shot.

Most Explosive Powerful playmaker we have

I want to see Jeff with the ball in his hands Saturday. Do you hear me Jerry?

I want to see Jeff with the ball in his hands Saturday. Do you hear me Jerry?

This is just plain silly, I hope your being sarcastic.
If Jones can help the team with the ball in his hands coach Kill and Limegrover will play him and find a way to get him the ball. If not, I doubt you will get what you want. I like Jeff but I have not seen anything that tells me he is the most "Explosive powerful playmaker we have"?
Would actually be nice to see him get a ball though and see if he can indeed do something with it, just to see if all that potential is really there.

"I hope your being sarcastic."

Sarcasm is ruined when announced as such.

If he is healthy enough to play any plays it is shocking he is not playing running back. Someone else posted if he is going to be a marginal WR why not leave him at his natural position of RB and give him a shot.

The move to WR always puzzled me. I never bought into the idea that we are so loaded at RB that we can take our top RB recruit and move him. Especially when you consider we already have so many young receivers with Gentry, Holland, Still, Gant, Carter, etc. And typically RB is arguably the easiest position to transition to straight from High School isn't it? Maybe he has trouble with picking up the blocking schemes or something we don't know about and because of that the coaches thought WR may be easier for him. At this point who really knows.

In all my years of watching CFB, the very best running teams are those that carry a strong "stable" of
running backs- groups that have plenty of capable backs determined to beat out the others. They run every
play like its their last. the Gophers had this a few years ago, and every year it seemed there was a new threat to gain
1000 yards, and a couple more that could.

Put players in their best positions, and make em outdo the others...

I wouldn't mind Jeff given a handoff as a WR or something like that to get him going but I'm assuming that in practice he wasn't showing he was better than say Smith (I like him) so they moved him.

I'm not concerned where he plays either. Getting play makers on offense, like TCU, would be really nice.

Wasn't Berkely Edwards suppose to the explosive weapon that was talked about last year ? What happened to him ?

Wasn't Berkely Edwards suppose to the explosive weapon that was talked about last year ? What happened to him ?

No idea where he is this year.... good question. I don't think he was ever going to be an often used guy, but still a role player.

They always ran him out of the backfield and he just never could bounce off guys and get his speed going much. Then he was hurt here and there. I kinda wanted them to run him out and toss a pass to him underneath so he could get into space to pick up speed, but they usually do that with the TE so ... never happened.

I thought he could have been kind of a fun ... "gadget" play guy where he gouges someone with speed once every game or two.

Obviously this has been discussed over and over again, but recruiting rankings aren't always correct. Like others though, I would love to see Jeff get a chance to see what he can do.

Sometimes there are things outside of talent that can keep you off the field. Just ask David Cobb.

Exactly

Sometimes there are things outside of talent that can keep you off the field. Just ask David Cobb.

The reason Jeff Jones is not playing is not a talent issue.

Totally bummed to see him hurt. I really wanted to see him run to start the NFL season.

Top Bottom