Jeff Jones Eligibility: Freshman?

McPeePants

Reaction score
Is Jeff going to be a RS freshman this fall? True freshman?

Sophomore. He lost a year of eligibility due to qualification issues with the NCAA but I believe he has the opportunity to regain that year dependent on the progress of his studies later in his college career.

Long story short, he's a sophomore but if he keeps progressing towards his degree he can get a year of eligibility back.

It's a matter of semantics. If Jeff stays on schedule, he'll gets an additional year, allowing him to play four years. He doesn't get the additional year until he's completed 80% of his degree requirements. Technically he's a sophomore, but simply staying eligible, for the next three years gets him to the 80%, so calling him a RS freshman is correct in reality, if not by definition.

I'd prefer that he ends up being so good that he declares in January of 2017 after two 10+ win seasons. So, junior.

In 2017 he will be entering the draft after his Heisman year

In 2017 he will be entering the draft after his Heisman year

Closer to the truth. He would not be around for 4 years unless he loses a season due to injury. JJ is a stud and will leave no doubt in anyone's mind about that this year. RB or slot or both, doesn't matter.

Closer to the truth. He would not be around for 4 years unless he loses a season due to injury. JJ is a stud and will leave no doubt in anyone's mind about that this year. RB or slot or both, doesn't matter.

No, there is absolutely not "no doubt" that he will declare early for the draft (although I do feel confident he will be very good sooner or later).

We can call him a sophomore if that makes people feel better, but just know that if he takes care of business in the classroom and doesn't leave early, he will have 2 senior years.

It's a pretty unusual situation, so it depends on how you look at it. It's a pretty low hurdle to get his fourth year of eligibility, so I think it's the most useful to consider him a RS freshman. I'm pretty sure kill will have him on pace.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

We can call him a sophomore if that makes people feel better, but just know that if he takes care of business in the classroom and doesn't leave early, he will have 2 senior years.

Yes, calling him what he will be listed as on the official roster will make me feel better.

Assuming anything the NCAA will rule 3-years from now does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, calling him what he will be listed as on the official roster will make me feel better.

Assuming anything the NCAA will rule 3-years from now does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except there is no decision in 3 yrs, he either has 80% of the credits to graduate, or not. It is completely controlled by the U. If Jeff Jones major requires 120 credits to graduate and he has 96 or more he gets the additional year.

It's a pretty unusual situation, so it depends on how you look at it. It's a pretty low hurdle to get his fourth year of eligibility, so I think it's the most useful to consider him a RS freshman. I'm pretty sure kill will have him on pace.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

While it really doesn't matter what he is classified as at this point, from a player grid standpoint to project current and future depth, it would make far more sense to consider him a Sophomore. As a coach you can't project him as having that last year until he gets to the point where you know for a certain that he will in fact earn it.

While it really doesn't matter what he is classified as at this point, from a player grid standpoint to project current and future depth, it would make far more sense to consider him a Sophomore. As a coach you can't project him as having that last year until he gets to the point where you know for a certain that he will in fact earn it.

Thats like saying a player has to stay eligible before the coach can expect a 5th year for them. I'm sure our coaches are expecting the RS freshman to stay eligible and have 5th years. They don't have to earn it for the coaches to expect it. With Jeff you can look at it the same way. You can consider him eligible for a 5th year until deemed ineligible just as you can the other way around. All players have to stay eligible. Either way, doesn't really matter how you look at it.

LOL - This string is worse than a never ending soap opera that never changes.:rolleyes:

LOL - This string is worse then a never ending soap opera that never changes.:rolleyes:

Pretty standard operating procedure for the off season around here. Some people get really caught up in stuff like this and trying to project multiple years down the line.

We always get the hand wringing around here about redshirting players as well.

LOL - This string is worse than a never ending soap opera that never changes.:rolleyes:

Pretty standard operating procedure for the off season around here. Some people get really caught up in stuff like this and trying to project multiple years down the line.

We always get the hand wringing around here about redshirting players as well.

Parski called. Guess what he said.

Come on guys, you can do better than that. I'll give you both a do-over.

Come on guys, you can do better than that. I'll give you both a do-over.

Since I didn't have the same relationship that you and Dr.Don had with him nor did I hang out with him like the two of you did, I give up. What did Parski say?:confused:

Like he always said. "Stupid thread"

Thanks. You and Dr.Don taught him well! That's it for now. I am leaving soon for the Gopher football practice if I can remember where I put my winter clothes.

Thanks. You and Dr.Don taught him well! That's it for now. I am leaving soon for the Gopher football practice if I can remember where I put my winter clothes.

But I'm glad to say Parski's on his way
won't be back for many a day
My heart is down
My head is forgetting the Pole
They had to ban little Parski on Gopherhole

Sounds of laughter everywhere
And the dancing girls swing to and fro
I must declare my heart will grow
Though I cheered for Duke over Wisky Bo

Is Jeff Jones considered a rent-a-player? I want to make sure Bo Ryan happy with this.

Top Bottom