Jeff Horton Press Conference Notes, 11-9-10

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
-Opened the press conference by saying that he believed they played better in the second half than they did in the previous game

-When you're down 21-0 at the half, the game could go two ways. He was very happy with the way they played in the half, instead of letting the game get away like it had done against Ohio State

-When you're struggling like the Gophers are, you need every break to go your way

-They needed to play better in the red zone and on third down

-Despite the amount of yardage given up on the ground, Horton believes the defense played pretty well

-Really liked John Butler's call on the fake punt

-Thought Gray did well at quarterback, and that they will continue to build on that. Also showed that he needs to continue to play some receiver

-Kicking game is inconsistent, both on punting and kicking

-Illinois coming off a crazy game, 67-65 loss to Michigan. Horton said it was one of the craziest games he's ever watched on tape

-Illinois is really athletic on defense, and they're going to want to come out and prove themselves after last week's game

-Offensively, it's a totally different package, with an option-style offense

-The Illinois quarterback has really improved as the season has gone on

-Compared it to playing Air Force or Navy in terms of schemes

-The guys are staying positive and continue to work hard

-They are still watching Carufel and Alford; Hoese should be able to start

-Austin Hahn will be out at least two weeks, but is hoping to be back for the Iowa game. Johnny Johnson and Ryan Collado should be ready for this week. Kirksey will be back

-When asked if there is a discrepancy between the talent of others in the Big Ten and others, Horton said there is, but it's not as bad as maybe it looks. A lot of the issues are with depth

-Horton was asked if he wants to win for himself, but blistered at the question, saying it's not about him and that they need to win games for the players

-Said that kids are resilient, and that he was impressed by the way they came back against Michigan State

-On Jon Hoese's return after the possibility of missing the season, Horton said that the staff did a great job, and that even though he may only be 75% or 80%, he's a senior and that he wants to get out there and help the team win

-Said that Illinois is very active defensively up front, and that they can't come in with a game plan of just dropping back and throwing

-Compared kicking to a golf swing, and that if you think too much, things will fall apart. Just let things happen naturally and things will work better

-Said it's huge that the Gophers have yet to score first in a Big Ten game

-Said that his inbox is still filling up on his E-mail in regards to Gray playing, but that it's now saying that he needs to play more, and that the language has been cleaned up a bit

-On taking Gray out on 3rd-and-short after Gray had started the drive, he believed that he needed more experience in there, and that if that same scenerio occurs again this week, Gray will probably stay in there for the remainder of the drive

to the last point...hard to imagine not being able to leave Gray in there to hand the ball off due to "lack of experience"

He seriously doesn't have the experience necessary to take a snap and hand the ball off? I could do that.

to the last point...hard to imagine not being able to leave Gray in there to hand the ball off due to "lack of experience"

He seriously doesn't have the experience necessary to take a snap and hand the ball off? I could do that.

I found that quote very interesting also. I could understand that Gray doesn't have the game experience to switch from run to pass or pass to run, but they only needed a yard and sometimes talent (running ability) is better than experience. There is also this thing called momentum and the gophers had just completed three successful plays!

The play calling in regards to momentum is what has driven me crazy as a fan with limited football knowledge all season long. Weber will string together a couple nice throws and appears to be in a rhythm, then they decide to run the ball for two plays for no yards and their is an incomplete pass on third down. I know there is something to keeping a team honest, but there is also something to sticking with what is working.

I look to the Badger game as an example. In the late second quarter the gophers started stopping the running game of the badgers. So the badgers started passing it until that gophers could stop it or moved people out of the box. It was also the critical point of the game (3rd quarter). I think this offense tries to be to cute with their play calling at critical times and it is very frustrating.

This proves that all the stuff the coaches were previously saying about Gray were bogus. Weber was the favorite of somebody (probably Brewster) as Hawkins was the favorite of his dad at Colorado. Both coaches were fired before the season was over.

Wait, Jeff Horton press conference? You mean there's a game this week?

Seriously, thanks for posting something related to the team.

Top Bottom