Jeff Casteel

Isn't he the most successful 3-3-5 stack coach against the run? It was a perceived weakness. In fact I thought after 3yrs of Michigan running it, I would pass it up. But Rich Rod is just implementing it this year, so it is hard to judge how well it will work long term.

I was going to post this link last night but just registered so couldn't. I have checked out his bio and looked at stats from the years he has been DC and I think he would be a good coach to take a hard look at.

Does anyone know of any West Virginia match ups against traditional pro-style power run offenses?

How about no?

There are oodles of more interesting coordinators: Gus Malzahn (Aub OC), Brent Venables (OU DC), Kevin Wilson (OU OC), Carl Pelini (Neb DC), Kirby Smart (Bama DC), etc.

I already mentioned Kirby Smart. I've been focusing on odd front coordinators as part of a let's not run the same defense as our neighbors, so we can recruit different types of players.

Spend a bit of time looking into this guy. He has been running this same defense for years, and has been very successful using it.

I already mentioned Kirby Smart. I've been focusing on odd front coordinators as part of a let's not run the same defense as our neighbors, so we can recruit different types of players.

Spend a bit of time looking into this guy. He has been running this same defense for years, and has been very successful using it.

Bill Stewart was running it at WVU before him. I personally don't like the 3-3-5. If we're going odd fronts the 3-4 is the way to go IMO.

If we're going odd fronts the 3-4 is the way to go IMO.

I don't really have a strong preference either way, but have little experience with how well the 3-3-5 has worked. So I'm trying to see how W. Virginia has used it.

Is W. Virginia a better talent fit with what MN recruits? I don't have that kind of access.

I don't understand why we keep having all these threads mentioning guys who are in no way qualified to be on anyone's short list. Seems nobody has noticed that we are looking for a proven Division 1 head coach with name recognition and instant credibility.

This guy doesn't have an agent to pimp himself. He didn't go with Rich Rod to Michigan. He just seems to fit MN culture, which is why I'm bringing him up as one of my defensive guys who runs an odd front wish list.

This guy doesn't have an agent to pimp himself. He didn't go with Rich Rod to Michigan. He just seems to fit MN culture, which is why I'm bringing him up as one of my defensive guys who runs an odd front wish list.

You have a "defensive guys who run an odd front" wish list. How many other wish lists do you have?

A list of people who I wished would think before they post. Does that count?

Top Bottom