Jedd Fisch

Apparently, the reason that the UArizona president knows Fisch is that she performed his heart surgery, years ago.

Yep. Very good reason to hire that person as your head football coach!!

Apparently, the reason that the UArizona president knows Fisch is that she performed his heart surgery, years ago.

Yep. Very good reason to hire that person as your head football coach!!
Can’t make it up. Pretty crazy. Jedd seems like a guy who often spends the night at a Holiday Inn. He must interview amazingly well.

I poked in on a U of A fan forum (Bear Down Wildcats). I've never seen that sort of reaction to a coaching hire. Fisch is stepping into a job where pretty much 100% of the hard core fan base (I figure that's who posts on fan forums) hate the hire. A lot of fans are vowing to step away, cancel season tickets and stop donations to their school unless major changes are made. Threats like that aren't totally uncommon on fan forums, but something about the ones I saw seem to have a real sense of authenticity to them.
Thanks Hophead. The Wildcat board is in shock. The funniest post was the guy, who upon hearing the identity of the new coach, entered the "alumni transfer portal."

Thanks Hophead. The Wildcat board is in shock. The funniest post was the guy, who upon hearing the identity of the new coach, entered the "alumni transfer portal."
Jedd is awful choice but Arizona has already tried retread for the previous 9 years. I am not sure why they are so unwilling to go after a MWC head coach coach, that seems like a missing hole in their hiring process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arizona_Wildcats_football_seasons

Arizona has had a smattering of decent years.

One really great year in 1998, under arguably their most successful headcoach Dick Tomey who they hired from Hawaii. They ran a somewhat unconventional defense that got nicknamed the "Desert Swarm". (info here for those who are interested: https://theoutsidezone.substack.com/p/arizonas-desert-swarm-defense )

Since Tomey, they've only hired head coaches whose last previous job was as P5 head coach or coordinator. None of worked out, other than Rich Rod's top 20 year in 2014.

And now Jedd, who had never been a head coach anywhere, other than interim for one game.

Wow is that underwhelming for Arizona fans. Nothing about him leads me to believe this will be a successful run. I'm guessing Antonio Pierce comes over to run the D and recruit.
Yes, all 8 of them are pretty upset.

U of A football gets less press here than arena football.

Jedd hires Pete Carroll's son to be his OC. He's been the Seahawk's OL coach and running game coordinator since 2015 for his dad. Has never been an OC at any level before.

Also hired two former great Arizona defensive players as defensive position coaches. One last coached DL in 2015 for Memphis, the other has been a defensive "analyst" (non-coaching position) since 2018 at Arizona.

This is looking like a real bang up staff.

Saw an article that the state of Arizona has produced a lot of P5 QB talent recently, with Iowa State, Oregon, and Oklahoma's starting QB's all hailing from there.

Jedd is basically going to have to lucky and convince one of these in-state top arms to stay home.

Did Weber have his worst season with Fisch? I didn't look up his resume but he doesn't stay any where very long but he keeps getting jobs at a step up from the last one? Yet again, Cam with the Patriots has probably had his worst season ever. Those results seem to follow him as a coach? If memory serves he helped get the UCLA coach fired or no?
This is exactly my impression of Fisch. I’m not asking this rhetorically because I honestly don’t know, but has any unit or player he has coached shown marked improvement under his leadership? Perhaps my opinion of him is unfair or misinformed but he always seems to be a guy that coaches with mediocre to poor results, yet always seems to land on his feet to procure good/better jobs.

Top Bottom