Jedd Fisch

Wow. Blast from the past. Good for him that he has kept climbing the ranks and grinding all these years.

Never played football.
Seems weird, but I've heard many stories of CEOs running companies that they have no real expertise in. We shall see how it works for Fisch. If I was an Arizona fan I don't think I'd be real happy about the hire though.

Wow is that underwhelming for Arizona fans. Nothing about him leads me to believe this will be a successful run. I'm guessing Antonio Pierce comes over to run the D and recruit.

Never played football.
Kinda uncommon to not have played ever...
But playing at a high level is overrated when it comes to evaluating whether someone can teach the game

All else being equal it’s valuable. But all else is never equal

Wow is that underwhelming for Arizona fans. Nothing about him leads me to believe this will be a successful run.
Agreed. They fired Sumlin on December 12, so the official search was 11 days (although I am sure the AD had made the decision before that date). I am not aware of any link Fisch has to U of A. This seems like a desperation, no one wants the job hire to me. Wonder if they were looking for somebody they could hire on the cheap?

Agreed. They fired Sumlin on December 12, so the official search was 11 days (although I am sure the AD had made the decision before that date). I am not aware of any link Fisch has to U of A. This seems like a desperation, no one wants the job hire to me. Wonder if they were looking for somebody they could hire on the cheap?
You'd think the obvious thing to do is hire whomever the best up and coming MWC or even Big Sky head coach is out there. San Jose State coach?

Jedd Fisch was a bizarre "fall guy" on this board. The guy has been a successful coach. I am sure there are a few other of the coaches we jab (Zebrowski, Jay Johnson, Bart Miller, etc.) that are actually really strong coaches. All of that said, this is a puzzling hire for Arizona. The guy has zero HC experiencing, limited recruiting experience, and even his OC experience is somewhat limited. He would have made sense as an OC hiring at a premier program. This is actually pretty baffling.

Jedd Fisch is a close friend of the UA President. That's how it happened, but I think Arizona fans have to be pissed. There are a number of decent HCs available (SJSU coach, BYU Coach, Kent State Coach, Nevada Coach). This is a strange move for a program that needs a complete rebuild.

He is good friends with the President.

I have not hate for him, but I just don’t see how you could watch the patriots play this season and think, “Wow, I need to hire their QB Coach”.

Why is the the president of a university (campus) directly hiring the new football coach?

Do they not have an athletic director at the moment (serious question)?

Does Adam Weber have strong ties to Fisch?. Possible QB coach?

I poked in on a U of A fan forum (Bear Down Wildcats). I've never seen that sort of reaction to a coaching hire. Fisch is stepping into a job where pretty much 100% of the hard core fan base (I figure that's who posts on fan forums) hate the hire. A lot of fans are vowing to step away, cancel season tickets and stop donations to their school unless major changes are made. Threats like that aren't totally uncommon on fan forums, but something about the ones I saw seem to have a real sense of authenticity to them.

I poked in on a U of A fan forum (Bear Down Wildcats). I've never seen that sort of reaction to a coaching hire. Fisch is stepping into a job where pretty much 100% of the hard core fan base (I figure that's who posts on fan forums) hate the hire. A lot of fans are vowing to step away, cancel season tickets and stop donations to their school unless major changes are made. Threats like that aren't totally uncommon on fan forums, but something about the ones I saw seem to have a real sense of authenticity to them.

Yeah, we fans usually sell ourselves on people after they're hired. Something new is often exciting and if you cannot even get excited about something new, yikes. Kevin Sumlin was fired less than two weeks ago and this is the hire?

Jedd Fisch obviously knows football. A bunch of great football minds are not carrying around duds for years. So the results might end up being okay. That said, the process was putrid.

Wow is that underwhelming for Arizona fans. Nothing about him leads me to believe this will be a successful run. I'm guessing Antonio Pierce comes over to run the D and recruit.

No chance Pierce comes over. He and Arizona are not on the best of terms, and his interest in the job was probably leverage to get a raise at ASU. He's essentially the "heir" there, presumably in line to take over when Herm is done.

What are the best analogs for Arizona football in the P5?

I'm thinking: Wake Forest, Kansas, Syracuse ?

What are the best analogs for Arizona football in the P5?

I'm thinking: Wake Forest, Kansas, Syracuse ?

Lately they're down there with the worst, but it's capable of stretches of 500ish football with the occasional good year. Seems like Illinois would be a decent Big Ten comparison.

Every time I see that name, I think of the Walrus referring to him as "the pet Fisch" during his coaching stint at MN.

Did Weber have his worst season with Fisch? I didn't look up his resume but he doesn't stay any where very long but he keeps getting jobs at a step up from the last one? Yet again, Cam with the Patriots has probably had his worst season ever. Those results seem to follow him as a coach? If memory serves he helped get the UCLA coach fired or no?

Top Bottom