Jedd Fisch interview

I was not pleased with the closing comments either. He mentioned average coaching!?? OUCH, not setting the bar very high!!

It's such a strange finishing quote, you'd have to believe he didn't intend it the way it reads. Who'd say that?

It's such a strange finishing quote, you'd have to believe he didn't intend it the way it reads. Who'd say that?

I'm guessing he was trying a little self-deprecation to be funny. By all accounts, he's very confident and is sky high on his own coaching abilities.

It's tough to get humor across in print if there is no chaser statement like "Fisch said, laughing"

I just remember Mason admitting time after time they were out coached!! UGH UGH!!

I've got to agree with tj & MinnMarch, that I think he was trying to get some humor across. What with all the "awesome" and "exceptional" adjectives thrown out, he sounds pretty confident.

The biggest thing I hope is true is that our offensive line is "playing some really good football." If that's true, we should be much improved over 2008. We'll see.

The bigger worry for me, was this quote though:
"But I've learned a lot about what our players can and cannot do, what a college player can and cannot do. And to be honest with you, I don't see a huge difference, in terms of what they can handle mentally. Our guys made as many mental errors in Denver and Baltimore and Houston the first five weeks we put in an offense as they did here."

Who do this remind us of? Everett Withers, for me. We lost at least 2 or 3 games in 2007 because our D was trying to remember their assignments rather than just smashing the opposing players. I hope he remembers the "what our players can and cannot do" rather than the "I don't see a huge difference" part. Studwell, IIRC, you were one of the main guys on this board ripping Withers for trying to run an NFL defense with NCAA players - I'd have thought you'd have been all over Fisch for this.

Hey Haugy#33, since you want to go that way I'll just add to your very cheap shot that I'd rather hear a coach admit it than to have to watch a coach being outcoached, the way Brewster has these past two seasons and not "fess up" that he was being outcoached. There have been some very extreme and very painful examples of Brewster being outcoached without out him even admitting it. Now that is a double "ugh, ugh..." development for you. Good cheap-shot attempt though Haugy#33. Let's just keep things in perspective!

I've got to agree with tj & MinnMarch, that I think he was trying to get some humor across. What with all the "awesome" and "exceptional" adjectives thrown out, he sounds pretty confident.

The biggest thing I hope is true is that our offensive line is "playing some really good football." If that's true, we should be much improved over 2008. We'll see.

The bigger worry for me, was this quote though:
"But I've learned a lot about what our players can and cannot do, what a college player can and cannot do. And to be honest with you, I don't see a huge difference, in terms of what they can handle mentally. Our guys made as many mental errors in Denver and Baltimore and Houston the first five weeks we put in an offense as they did here."

Who do this remind us of? Everett Withers, for me. We lost at least 2 or 3 games in 2007 because our D was trying to remember their assignments rather than just smashing the opposing players. I hope he remembers the "what our players can and cannot do" rather than the "I don't see a huge difference" part. Studwell, IIRC, you were one of the main guys on this board ripping Withers for trying to run an NFL defense with NCAA players - I'd have thought you'd have been all over Fisch for this.

I just don't see the offense being much improved this year over last, largely due to the fact that in the case of Weber it is his third offense he is having to learn in his gopher career and it normally takes players a good year atleast to become comfortable in a new offense and be able to simply read and react versus having to constantly think about where to be and when on each play.

Hey Haugy#33, since you want to go that way I'll just add to your very cheap shot that I'd rather hear a coach admit it than to have to watch a coach being outcoached, the way Brewster has these past two seasons and not "fess up" that he was being outcoached. There have been some very extreme and very painful examples of Brewster being outcoached without out him even admitting it. Now that is a double "ugh, ugh..." development for you. Good cheap-shot attempt though Haugy#33. Let's just keep things in perspective!

What games were those?

"There have been some very extreme and very painful examples of Brewster being outcoached without out him even admitting it."

In my opinion, it wasn't Brew getting outcoached...his players were outplayed.

Mason got outcoached many times...i.e. Michigan meltdown, fumbled punt attempt when leading in the closing seconds by 3 vs. Wiskey, those are only two examples.

They (Fisch & Davis) seem pretty confident here in this article. I also think he was attempting self-depracating humor and the intent was lost in print. My God, we have posters upset that our coaches are too confident and egomaniacal, others upset because not enough so. How can anyone ever win? Anyway .....

http://www.twincities.com/gophersfootball/ci_12211859?nclick_check=1

Tim Davis jumped at the opportunity to be the Gophers' offensive line coach before the Insight Bowl last year.

Not only was the University of Minnesota football program on the rise, but Davis had ties to the state. His father grew up in Ceylon, Minn., and played baseball at the U for a year before going off to fight in World War II.

Davis said that's where his passion for Gopher Nation comes from.

"I know he's up there somewhere smiling," Davis said. "He used to talk about it all the time. When he left to go to World War II, he never came back. But he loved it here."

And now Davis does, too.

His wife and two kids still live in Tuscaloosa, Ala., where he once worked as Alabama's director of player personnel. At the end of the school year, they plan to join him in the Twin Cities. But the California native already feels at home, especially on the football field, where he has a chance to put his stamp on Minnesota's offense this spring.

"I really like it here because you can take this place as high as it wants to go," said Davis, who also coached offensive lines at Southern California and in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins. "That's what makes it great. You have no boundaries. A place like (Alabama), everybody expects you to win the national championship. The one thing I love about here is that we have a lot of potential. It's fun to coach guys that want to learn and want to be here."

Despite returning all but one player from last season's starting offensive line, Davis opened spring practice with newcomers Matt Carufel at right guard and Jeff Wills at right tackle atop the depth chart. Defensive lineman-turned-offensive tackle Matt Stommes also kept his starting spot on the left side from the bowl game.
The center and left guard positions have been an ongoing competition heading into Saturday's spring-game scrimmage at the University of St. Thomas, but Davis and offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch are starting to get a glimpse of what their line could look like.

"We put a lot on them, and I think coach Davis is doing a great job with them," said Fisch, who worked with Davis throughout the spring to come up with running plays for the offense. "The thing you know this spring is you know the quarterback (Adam Weber) and you know the offensive line. It makes me sleep well at night that I know that three months from now, we can execute the offense that I want to."

Sophomore center Ryan Wynn credited Davis with helping the line build togetherness and confidence.

"Not to say we didn't rely on each other in our old offense," Wynn said, "but it was more individuals molding together. Our pass protection and our runs are totally dependent now on the guy next to us. That's one thing I've noticed as a big difference under coach Davis.

"His intensity and passion for the game is obvious. Every day, he drives to get the best out of us. He's yelling and screaming and stuff, but you just know he's there to get you better."

While coaching the offensive line and acting as running-game coordinator, Davis is in charge of two aspects of the Gophers' offense that are nowhere near as strong as they were under former coach Glen Mason, who sent several tailbacks and linemen to the NFL. Davis wants to restore that tradition.

"There are a lot of good linemen here in Minnesota, big guys," said Davis, who helped the Gophers get a commitment from 6-foot-7, 270-pound Irondale junior lineman Jimmy Gjere. "We just need to identify them, which we are through camps and recruiting.

"There's no reason why you can't have good linemen here," he said.

Offense and defense are two very different beasts. Defensive players need to rely alot more on reacting as they don't know the play that is coming. If they have to stop and think too much (i.e. the Withers defense), that split second can make a difference between stopping a play for no gain or a long touchdown. Offense, by its nature, is largely based on knowing plays. I simply can't believe that Fisch's offense is going to be more complicated or difficult to learn than Dunbar's 6 inch thick playbook. In fact, I'm guessing it will be MUCH easier to learn as there is no way Brewster will make the same mistake twice in that regards.

never do an interview

This is a perfect example why coaches can never say the right thing. If he acts totally confident, then his is ripped and if he does coach speak he is ripped.

Sarcasm at the end, obviously...and said without facial hair.

Dr. Don: Examples? Iowa, 2008. Michigan, 2008. NU, 2007 and 2008. Kansas, 2008. Wisconsin 2007 and 2008. All of the ooc games in 2007. NDSU, 2007. Illinois, 2007. So many games in such a short period of time!

Dr. Don: 55 to nothing scores are not the fault of the players. Coaching moves in overtime are not the fault of the players. Losing 3 td leads late in the 3rd quarter (NU, 2007) is not the fault of the players.

Any coach with honor at all will take the blame for losses, always. Based upon your logic, the Mason losses were not the fault of the coach but were the fault of the players. Come on Dr. Don. Coaches take the heat. They get paid the big bucks. Losses always go on the head of the coach.

With a 8-17 record, 32% of the time Coach Brewster gets credit for an adequate job of preperation and coaching. That means that 68% the losses were the fault of the coach. IF you are going to be an honest man, Dr Don, you will apply the same standard to both coaches. You know that and I know that. Apples to apples my good man! ; o )

Hey 4 star, all I was saying is I hope this is not like the Mason tenure, getting out coached, players not ready for games!

BYW, I would rather have the Gophers win the Rose Bowl than have the Vikes win a Super Bowl, it was not meant to be a cheap shot! I was just hoping for a little more confidence! Maybe he was being funny, jabbing himself.

I like a sense of humor, Dr. Don can attest to that! This is the challenge with E-mail, we do not hear the tone of the comments.

I hope and pray that someday soon I will see a Rose Bowl and Big Ten Championship, I would love to see it with this group of coaches!

"Losing 3 td leads late in the 3rd quarter (NU, 2007) is not the fault of the players."

Wrong. If a team loses a 3TD lead, it COULD be a result of being out-coached (coaches' fault), it COULD be a result of being out-played (players' fault), or it COULD be a combination of the two. We all know that the players weren't ready for the speed of the backup NWU QB. It would be very difficult to prepare players for a wildcard like that. The team played poorly in that game (bad execution), and you can attribute that to Brewster's bad coaching if you like. I prefer to think that the players own part of the responsibility for being ready to play, and to react to what's happening on the field. In the end, the play that lost the game was a fluke INT for a TD -- and that CAN'T be blamed solely on coaching.

"Any coach with honor at all will take the blame for losses, always. Based upon your logic, the Mason losses were not the fault of the coach but were the fault of the players. Come on Dr. Don. Coaches take the heat. They get paid the big bucks. Losses always go on the head of the coach."

Based upon your logic and taking it to its logical extreme, any time a player makes a mistake of any kind on the field the coach must take the blame. That's a ridiculously impossible standard to meet. Also, you've got to give the coach ALL of the credit every time a player does something well, since everything that happens on the field MUST be a direct reflection of the coaches and their ability, rather than the ability of the players making the plays. Surely you can see the logial fallacy there.

We still don't know how good of an in-game coach Brewster can and will be. But, let's not fall into the trap of assuming that every loss is due to Brewster's poor coaching.

fumbled punt attempt when leading in the closing seconds by 3 vs. Wiskey

Yep, that was terrible coaching. Mason should have just taught Kucek to catch the ball before punting it away!

The 3 td lead late in the third quarter I was referring to was in the 2007 NU game at NU. In the final analysis, the final call in the 3rd ot in that game most certainly was a coache's call.

In the 2008 NU game, passing over the middle that late in a tie game was once again a bad call by the offensive coordinator. IF you are going to pass in that situation you instruct the qb to throw only a sideline route if you are not wise enough to play for the higher percentage chance of winning in ot. The NU qb was not that great in his short yardage passing situation and he was not going to drop back, scramble and cut back against the grain from his own 25 yardline and risk a huge sack in an ot situation.

Coaches lose the games. Players win the games. It was that way when Bierman was coaching...Warmath was coaching, Mason was coaching and now when Brewster is coaching. That is only proper coaching form in post game interviews now and it always has been. Dr. Don wanted to do apples to oranges and I insist that it must be apples to apples. At least, both sides of that argument need to be stated, I believe.

Yep, that was terrible coaching. Mason should have just taught Kucek to catch the ball before punting it away!

Actually, someone should have told Kucek that he had the option to take a safety if he had problems handling the snap. It was not done. HUGE gaff.

Haugey#33

You think the players were ready to play against Iowa in 2008? (That was the ugliest game I have ever seen) Or against Michigan in 2008? (That ws an especially ugly game as well.) I saw so many games in 2007 when the players and the coaches were not prepared for the beginnings of games. Purdue 2007 at the dome...you do recall that one don't you?

Remember Haugey#33: "...apples to apples..." We must apply the same standards, don't you think?

The word "average" really does stand out in the interview considering all the wonderful adjectives this staff typically uses.

But his point was that he doesn't expect fans at the Spring game to be as impressed with the coaching they have done up to this point as they are with the athletic ability of the players. The Spring game will be more of a chance for the guys to show their talent.

Harry: every punter knows that. Every punter hears that. How can any punts ever be blocked to lose games when the option of a safety is always there? Any high school punter knows that. Any college punter intellectually knows that too. However, funny things happen on football fields all the time. "...I knew that...but..." It is part of the human condition, I suppose.

In the end it was Mason's fault because the team lost. Every game his team ever lost was always his fault. The same is true for Brewster. Every game his team looses is his fault. That is how it is. That is how it always has been. That is the way it always will be. If coaches don't like that, they should get out of the coaching business.

Harry: every punter knows that. Every punter hears that. How can any punts ever be blocked?

In the end it was Mason's fault because the team lost. Every game his team ever lost was always his fault. The same is true for Brewster. Every game his team looses is his fault. That is how it is. That is how it always has been. That is the way it always will be. If coaches don't like that, they should get out of the coaching business.

Total and utter nonsense. It is the coaches role to provide situational information to the players. If they don't do that why even have them (the coaches) on the field at all?

4 starecruit

I don't recall ever saying Brewster had the boys ready for Iowa in 2008, nor did I say that he had them ready for Michigan. I am saying I hope we have some higher expectations. Get a clue!!

I quote you, "apples to apples"

You think the players were ready to play against Iowa in 2008? (That was the ugliest game I have ever seen) Or against Michigan in 2008? (That ws an especially ugly game as well.) I saw so many games in 2007 when the players and the coaches were not prepared for the beginnings of games. Purdue 200&...you do recall that one don't you?

Remember Haugey#33: "...apples to apples..." We must apply the same standards, don't you think?

What do you expect with a coach who never ever had to manage a game prior or be responsible for developing a game plan. Being a position coach and focusing on one position is a lot different than having the final call or say on the entire offensive and defensive gameplan. Hopefully, he will get better but it is still concerning to me at this point and I hope that he is able to acquire the skills and knowledge needed to be a effective game day coach. I hope that his lack of upward mobility to that of a coordinator earlier in his career was not an indication of what his former bosses thought of his ability or lack thereof to develop and execute a gameplan.

Top Bottom