Jay Sawvel receives raise to $550,000 annually for next two years.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Hmm. Not that I don't believe him, but he needs to double-check his sources and/or understanding. It's only fairly recently that it became SOP to offer coordinators multi-year contracts, and still quite rare to have position coaches on multi-year contracts.

Hmm. Not that I don't believe him, but he needs to double-check his sources and/or understanding. It's only fairly recently that it became SOP to offer coordinators multi-year contracts, and still quite rare to have position coaches on multi-year contracts.

Maybe TC negotiated it for his guys...just to make sure they were taken care of if he got fired after year 1. Plus I like the stability for recruiting and player development so hopefully it is true.

Maybe TC negotiated it for his guys...just to make sure they were taken care of if he got fired after year 1. Plus I like the stability for recruiting and player development so hopefully it is true.

Yeah, I can see both sides of it. Shows commitment and evidence of stability, but also makes costly to fire non-performing position coaches by having to pay them buyouts instead of just a free nonrenewal.

It says this staff has two year to perform and recruit. If Goetz is making this call, she seems to be doing a fine job of knowing what it takes to create stability. I think Claeys will be comfortable with his staff for two years. He would have dumped anyone before making these moves and signings.

Especially in the case of the offense, he needed and wanted to attract quality, qualified candidates. It's asking for a gigantic leap of faith with no net for a one year deal.

I think maybe we're reading too much into non head coach staffing contracts here.

If i'm an OC or positions guy my job security isn't with my contract, it is:

Does Tracy still like what I'm doing?

How long is Tracy's contract?

Jerry always made sure his guys were taken care of and said as much. I think a non HC really is looking at it more from a relationship with the HC than purely a contract deal.

Maybe I missed this, but with the Sawvel promotion, who is going to coach the DB's?

Maybe I missed this, but with the Sawvel promotion, who is going to coach the DB's?

Sawvel used to be the special teams coordinator and DB coach. Now, he's the defensive coordinator and DB coach, while Dan O'Brien is the co-special teams coordinator (along with Pat Poore) as well as the asst. DB coach.

Um, I hope so. The HC at Minnesota hires, fires, and pays their assistants themselves with little or no input from the.AD. TC has a budget and can do what he wants with it. If he wants to pay more than the budget, it comes out of his own salary. If he was within his budget, the only input from the AD would be possible vetting.

Um, I hope so. The HC at Minnesota hires, fires, and pays their assistants themselves with little or no input from the.AD. TC has a budget and can do what he wants with it. If he wants to pay more than the budget, it comes out of his own salary. If he was within his budget, the only input from the AD would be possible vetting.

This is true to some extent, but I doubt Claeys has the authority to determine how long the contracts are for the assistants. I'm sure he pushed for two year deals, but I don't believe that was his decision or that he could have given them longer contracts if he wanted to do so.

The HC at Minnesota hires, fires, and pays their assistants themselves with little or no input from the AD.

Not true - the entire Jimmy Williams saga happened because Tubby didn't clear the hire with Maturi before he made the offer.

This is true to some extent, but I doubt Claeys has the authority to determine how long the contracts are for the assistants. I'm sure he pushed for two year deals, but I don't believe that was his decision or that he could have given them longer contracts if he wanted to do so.

Actually it's 100% true. Only action done by AD is vetting. HC determines salary and length of contract. That's why their term is longer than TC's.

Top Bottom