Jay Bilas on the state of men's college basketball (What rules changes must be considered?, What to do about transfer portal? and more)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Bilas:

What rules changes must be considered?​

There has always been a barrier to change in college basketball, and it goes beyond tradition. It is often stated that "College basketball is unique" and "We don't want to be like the NBA." I have never understood that. What makes college basketball unique is that it is played by young adults who are enrolled in school, not that the game has two halves instead of four quarters. The rules of play need to be addressed in a thoughtful way, and the antiquated thinking of "this has always been the way" needs to go away. The college game should strongly consider several rules changes, including:

Four quarters instead of two halves: Men's college basketball is the only visible form of the game in the world that does not have quarters. It is not a question of remaining unique. Quarters provide more clock plays and allow team fouls to be reset after the first and the third quarters. Moving to quarters will reduce the number of free throws on common fouls, and it will eliminate the one-and-one. A team will reach the bonus after upon the fifth foul of a quarter, and two shots will be awarded upon every common foul thereafter. Some argue that the one-and-one is necessary, but I differ. The argument is that a player must "earn" the second foul shot by making the first. That second shot was earned ... by getting fouled. Remember, the foul limited the offensive team's ability to get two or three points on the possession. This rule change, in my view, is necessary.

Charge/block: The charge call that the game should value is that of a primary defender in legal guarding position maintaining that position. A secondary defender sliding under a driver that has won a path to the basket should not be as celebrated in the game as it is now, in my view. First, it seems illogical to the reduction in physical play to celebrate a collision. Second, the rule as written allows a help defender to get into position before the offensive player leaves the floor. The standard for a help defender taking a charge should be moved back to when the offensive player begins his upward motion, or "the gather." That would reduce such collisions and bring better results. I am told that most officials agree with this point, although I do not hear such agreement in committee meetings. To me, it is a "must" to change this rule. I believe it will make the game better.

Advance the ball to midcourt late in games: The NBA, FIBA and women's college basketball all have this rule, and it makes for more excitement and late-game plays. Opponents suggest that valuable real estate is given up with this rule, and we would not have the Christian Laettner and Jalen Suggs moments with such a rule change. That is true and a fair point, but the counter is we would have even more exciting, game-changing plays with the rule change. This change is not a must, but one that should be strongly considered and debated, as reasonable minds can differ on it.

Widen the lane: A few years ago, the rules committee moved the 3-point line back, but did not widen the lane to NBA and FIBA size. That was a mistake, as those two things should have been done together. A wider lane should help in reducing physicality in the post area, although is it not a magic bullet for that goal.

Bench decorum: Coaches are not going to like this one. While interaction with officials should not be discouraged, the behavior of coaches toward officials needs to change. What is allowed by officials on the college level would never be allowed in the NBA. Coaches should coach their teams and leave officials alone. If such negative interaction can influence officials, it needs to stop for obvious reasons (I do not believe it influences officials). If such negative interaction does not influence officials, it needs to stop because it is a bad look and affects public perception. Officials should call technical fouls on all such behavior and should be supported in doing so. There are no sacred cows on the sideline. The officials are the law of the court. Nobody is decrying a quick and emotional reaction to a call. But there is a line, and that line is too often crossed by coaches. We can do better, and the officials should not have to deal with such issues.

Monitor review: While we all want to "get it right," there are too many monitor reviews and it simply takes too long on too many occasions. Replay should be used for out-of-bounds calls in the last minute of regulation and overtime only. Review of every call under the two-minute mark is unnecessary. And, a monitor review for a potential flagrant 2 foul (which carries with it an ejection) should be allowed at any time during play, even is play has resumed. That just makes good sense.

Go Gophers!!

Bilas continues:

What to do about the transfer portal​

The ease with which players can transfer and be immediately eligible is still new to most and offends the sensibilities of some. While I differ with those who object to player movement and player rights, I respect the difference in opinion. Unpaid students should not be limited in their choice of destination. It strains the mind to believe that a high school player with no college experience should be required to make a binding commitment, yet after having college experience, cannot be trusted to decide whether staying or leaving is right for him. The transfer portal is clunky and has some problems, but those can be remedied by some sensible regulation. Forcing a player to sit out a year should not be one of those regulations.

Several high-profile coaches are complaining about rival coaches recruiting transfers off of their rosters, and I don't doubt that is happening. However, that phenomenon is more reflective of the ethics of the coaching profession. Who should pay the price for such actions? Why should players be subject to a transfer penalty because some coaches are not behaving ethically? Players are assets of the university -- valuable assets. Yet unless they are paid under contract, they should be allowed to move as they wish, with reasonable regulation as to timing of decisions.

The reality of NIL​

Amateurism is dead. Players can now be compensated for their name, image and likeness and be paid for promotional activities, appearances and for their talents outside of the field of play -- just like anyone else in our society and just like any other non-athlete student. It was a long time coming, and athletes still do not have full economic rights. Yet, while this is still new and so contrary to the way the NCAA has done business over the last century, there are many in the game struggling with this new reality. Now, "collectives" are being formed by seemingly every major conference school, and NIL enticements have moved into the recruiting realm, which was inevitable.

The NCAA is furiously lobbying Congress for a national standard so that it can legally restrict and regulate what players can earn or accept. While it seems ridiculous for a serial antitrust violator to ask Congress for an antitrust exemption, that is what the NCAA is doing. Given in what low esteem the NCAA and president Mark Emmert are held on Capitol Hill, such an exemption seems unlikely. In my view, universities should simply sign players to contracts rather than continue down this road.

Recently, I had a great discussion with a college administrator in which the concept of "rationality" was stated. The argument was put forth that there needs to be rationality with the amount of money any athlete can be paid. I thought about that and, while I am a free-market advocate, it seemed reasonable to consider. After considered thought, I believe the amounts being offered to athletes are completely rational, as the biggest keys to success in college sports are due to athletes. If anything is irrational, it is running a multibillion-dollar entertainment industry on college campuses. Until that is addressed, it is entirely rational to offer competitive compensation to athletes.

We have NIL now, and it is not going away. Yet the games are played, billions of dollars are being generated, and no fans have turned away. In fact, the games seem more popular than ever, and there will not be an empty seat in New Orleans. Compensating athletes is not a problem, it is just business.

The state of the game is strong, but it can be stronger. Let's hope that the bureaucracy of the NCAA can change so that a strong game can get stronger and better. I believe that it can, if we have the will to make those positive changes, and we stop rationalizing continued inaction.

Go Gophers!!

per Bilas:

There has always been a barrier to change in college basketball, and it goes beyond tradition. It is often stated that "College basketball is unique" and "We don't want to be like the NBA." I have never understood that. What makes college basketball unique is that it is played by young adults who are enrolled in school, not that the game has two halves instead of four quarters. The rules of play need to be addressed in a thoughtful way, and the antiquated thinking of "this has always been the way" needs to go away. The college game should strongly consider several rules changes, including:

Four quarters instead of two halves: Men's college basketball is the only visible form of the game in the world that does not have quarters. It is not a question of remaining unique. Quarters provide more clock plays and allow team fouls to be reset after the first and the third quarters. Moving to quarters will reduce the number of free throws on common fouls, and it will eliminate the one-and-one. A team will reach the bonus after upon the fifth foul of a quarter, and two shots will be awarded upon every common foul thereafter. Some argue that the one-and-one is necessary, but I differ. The argument is that a player must "earn" the second foul shot by making the first. That second shot was earned ... by getting fouled. Remember, the foul limited the offensive team's ability to get two or three points on the possession. This rule change, in my view, is necessary.

Charge/block: The charge call that the game should value is that of a primary defender in legal guarding position maintaining that position. A secondary defender sliding under a driver that has won a path to the basket should not be as celebrated in the game as it is now, in my view. First, it seems illogical to the reduction in physical play to celebrate a collision. Second, the rule as written allows a help defender to get into position before the offensive player leaves the floor. The standard for a help defender taking a charge should be moved back to when the offensive player begins his upward motion, or "the gather." That would reduce such collisions and bring better results. I am told that most officials agree with this point, although I do not hear such agreement in committee meetings. To me, it is a "must" to change this rule. I believe it will make the game better.

Advance the ball to midcourt late in games: The NBA, FIBA and women's college basketball all have this rule, and it makes for more excitement and late-game plays. Opponents suggest that valuable real estate is given up with this rule, and we would not have the Christian Laettner and Jalen Suggs moments with such a rule change. That is true and a fair point, but the counter is we would have even more exciting, game-changing plays with the rule change. This change is not a must, but one that should be strongly considered and debated, as reasonable minds can differ on it.

Widen the lane: A few years ago, the rules committee moved the 3-point line back, but did not widen the lane to NBA and FIBA size. That was a mistake, as those two things should have been done together. A wider lane should help in reducing physicality in the post area, although is it not a magic bullet for that goal.

Bench decorum: Coaches are not going to like this one. While interaction with officials should not be discouraged, the behavior of coaches toward officials needs to change. What is allowed by officials on the college level would never be allowed in the NBA. Coaches should coach their teams and leave officials alone. If such negative interaction can influence officials, it needs to stop for obvious reasons (I do not believe it influences officials). If such negative interaction does not influence officials, it needs to stop because it is a bad look and affects public perception. Officials should call technical fouls on all such behavior and should be supported in doing so. There are no sacred cows on the sideline. The officials are the law of the court. Nobody is decrying a quick and emotional reaction to a call. But there is a line, and that line is too often crossed by coaches. We can do better, and the officials should not have to deal with such issues.

Monitor review: While we all want to "get it right," there are too many monitor reviews and it simply takes too long on too many occasions. Replay should be used for out-of-bounds calls in the last minute of regulation and overtime only. Review of every call under the two-minute mark is unnecessary. And, a monitor review for a potential flagrant 2 foul (which carries with it an ejection) should be allowed at any time during play, even is play has resumed. That just makes good sense.

Go Gophers!!
Love changing the rules to make it harder to earn a charge. Thats ruined the game at all levels. Play some damn defense.

Hate advancing the ball to mid court. The team that just scored has earned the right to make the other team go the distance. Why is the last 2 minutes special that the ball should be advanced? Discounts the other 36 minutes of the game.

Monitor review needs to be limited. I'd also like them to get rid of frame by frame slow motion.

Other ones I'm not super passionate about one way or another

Love changing the rules to make it harder to earn a charge. Thats ruined the game at all levels. Play some damn defense.

Hate advancing the ball to mid court. The team that just scored has earned the right to make the other team go the distance. Why is the last 2 minutes special that the ball should be advanced? Discounts the other 36 minutes of the game.

Monitor review needs to be limited. I'd also like them to get rid of frame by frame slow motion.

I'd like to add that no team can meet during a monitor review unless they want to use a time out. During a review players should have to remain in the lane that is on the opposite end of where their bench is located.

I'd like to add that no team can meet during a monitor review unless they want to use a time out. During a review players should have to remain in the lane that is on the opposite end of where their bench is located.
good one - totally agree

I got another one: coaches should never be able to call timeouts directly

No on advancing the ball to mid-court. Half the teams roll in there anyway and and if the other team lets them, that's on them. The Gophers have lost games over the years that would have been over if they had forced the other team to burn 3-4 seconds per possession on the back-court.

On the reviews on out of bounds, I vote to get rid of them. If the refs don't agree who it was off of, it's a jump ball. This can be true the entire game.

No on advancing the ball to mid-court. Half the teams roll in there anyway and and if the other team lets them, that's on them. The Gophers have lost games over the years that would have been over if they had forced the other team to burn 3-4 seconds per possession on the back-court.

On the reviews on out of bounds, I vote to get rid of them. If the refs don't agree who it was off of, it's a jump ball. This can be true the entire game.
A literal jump ball though, not a possession arrow!

I also disagree with his stance on physicality. Bills seems interested in watching methodical offense, and thinks that is what is “best” for the “game”. Stylistically I want to see rugged defense. Its all preference, but I love to watch lock down defense. IMO the best basketball in the last few years was Davion (?) Mitchell locking everyone down last March, and Texas Tech suffocating top 25 teams with their defense.

No. Arrow. We don't need 15 jump balls per game.
No. Jump ball! I don’t want to find out my team lost because a ref was out of position and had a bad look. At least put the ball in play - maybe under 5 min it’s a jump.

Bilas continues:

What to do about the transfer portal​

The ease with which players can transfer and be immediately eligible is still new to most and offends the sensibilities of some. While I differ with those who object to player movement and player rights, I respect the difference in opinion. Unpaid students should not be limited in their choice of destination. It strains the mind to believe that a high school player with no college experience should be required to make a binding commitment, yet after having college experience, cannot be trusted to decide whether staying or leaving is right for him. The transfer portal is clunky and has some problems, but those can be remedied by some sensible regulation. Forcing a player to sit out a year should not be one of those regulations.

Several high-profile coaches are complaining about rival coaches recruiting transfers off of their rosters, and I don't doubt that is happening. However, that phenomenon is more reflective of the ethics of the coaching profession. Who should pay the price for such actions? Why should players be subject to a transfer penalty because some coaches are not behaving ethically? Players are assets of the university -- valuable assets. Yet unless they are paid under contract, they should be allowed to move as they wish, with reasonable regulation as to timing of decisions.

The reality of NIL​

Amateurism is dead. Players can now be compensated for their name, image and likeness and be paid for promotional activities, appearances and for their talents outside of the field of play -- just like anyone else in our society and just like any other non-athlete student. It was a long time coming, and athletes still do not have full economic rights. Yet, while this is still new and so contrary to the way the NCAA has done business over the last century, there are many in the game struggling with this new reality. Now, "collectives" are being formed by seemingly every major conference school, and NIL enticements have moved into the recruiting realm, which was inevitable.

The NCAA is furiously lobbying Congress for a national standard so that it can legally restrict and regulate what players can earn or accept. While it seems ridiculous for a serial antitrust violator to ask Congress for an antitrust exemption, that is what the NCAA is doing. Given in what low esteem the NCAA and president Mark Emmert are held on Capitol Hill, such an exemption seems unlikely. In my view, universities should simply sign players to contracts rather than continue down this road.

Recently, I had a great discussion with a college administrator in which the concept of "rationality" was stated. The argument was put forth that there needs to be rationality with the amount of money any athlete can be paid. I thought about that and, while I am a free-market advocate, it seemed reasonable to consider. After considered thought, I believe the amounts being offered to athletes are completely rational, as the biggest keys to success in college sports are due to athletes. If anything is irrational, it is running a multibillion-dollar entertainment industry on college campuses. Until that is addressed, it is entirely rational to offer competitive compensation to athletes.

We have NIL now, and it is not going away. Yet the games are played, billions of dollars are being generated, and no fans have turned away. In fact, the games seem more popular than ever, and there will not be an empty seat in New Orleans. Compensating athletes is not a problem, it is just business.

The state of the game is strong, but it can be stronger. Let's hope that the bureaucracy of the NCAA can change so that a strong game can get stronger and better. I believe that it can, if we have the will to make those positive changes, and we stop rationalizing continued inaction.

Go Gophers!!
I still think that D-1 athletes are missing the value of the college scholarship, room and board, tutoring, etc. This may not be a fortune but easily runs $25K+ per year.

I understand that the institutions are making money off of the athletes so some portion of these revenues need to also be available to compensate athletes further. The devil is in the details on coming up with an equitable system. Is it some base amount to all athletes in revenue sports with additional funding based on performance (team and/or individual)?

No. Jump ball! I don’t want to find out my team lost because a ref was out of position and had a bad look. At least put the ball in play - maybe under 5 min it’s a jump.
The idea is to save time. Also, these review are 50/50 finger in the air reviews 75% of the time. So just go to alternating possessions. Otherwise having a center who can win jump balls suddenly becomes very important.

On the reviews, I think in all sports there should be a few changes. First, have a "shot clock" of sorts. Listen if you are at the monitor for 5 min and can't decide, then it was so close that it shouldnt matter. I think for me its 1 min (maybe 2) from the time you put the headset on until its over. If its clear and obvious it should easy. Second (and I am stealing this from KenPom a bit) there needs to be a point/time threshold for these. If its 85-60 with 2 min left and the ball gets tipped out, you dont need a review, the game is over lets move on with it. My thresholds would be anytime the game is 30+ difference no reviews, 20+ with less than 4 min left and 15+ with 2 min left. The odds that call changes the game from an L to a W is .00001%. And that would knock a lot of time off games over the course of a year.

Hate the magical timeout rule, it should go away in all levels instead of be added in at college. Especially watching girls games when you can move in situations other than following a made basket such as a shot clock violation

Advance the ball to midcourt late in games:

I don't get the "quarters instead of halves" argument.

granted, MN HS basketball has been playing 2 halves for a long time, so I really don't remember what quarters were like.

Bilas seems to want fewer free throws. but, I think getting rid of 1-&-1 situations would take away a lot of drama and strategy. 1-&-1 rewards good free-throw shooters - you are literally earning that extra point.

and I do not want to see the automatic advancement to half court. don't like it in the pros - don't want it in college or HS.

I also disagree with his stance on physicality. Bills seems interested in watching methodical offense, and thinks that is what is “best” for the “game”. Stylistically I want to see rugged defense. Its all preference, but I love to watch lock down defense. IMO the best basketball in the last few years was Davion (?) Mitchell locking everyone down last March, and Texas Tech suffocating top 25 teams with their defense.
per Bilas:

Go Gophers!!

The game is fine quit trying to fix something that works,idiots !! Everytime you change something,2 more issues arise,leave the game alone.

I would not believe that puffed up would be expert, Bilas if he told me the sun arises in the east.

I would absolutely love for the last two minutes of a close game to not take 15 minutes of actual time. I think two things could help that considerably:

1. Put a 1 minute timer on all reviews (and don’t let teams huddle up).

2. Teams lose all of their timeouts except 1 following the under 4 minute media timeout.

Bilas is right about everything except advancing the ball. Advancing the ball is a horrible rule.

Monitor reviews should be be eliminated all together. I am also not in favor of advancing the ball to the front court. Can you imagine if football did that and having to go 99 yards suddenly became you're in field goal range already! Also no waivers for transfers. Sit out your year.

I
The idea is to save time. Also, these review are 50/50 finger in the air reviews 75% of the time. So just go to alternating possessions. Otherwise having a center who can win jump balls suddenly becomes very important.
Overall, I’d agree that this would better than lengthy reviews. However, waiting for a jump ball is different than waiting for a 3 minute review. I’m limiting my opinion to a true situation where two refs cannot reach a consensus. Could also be a jump ball between two guys who the refs think it was off. Doesn’t have to be a center.

The NIT champ game is a perfect example of not taking it to half court. 3 seconds left, A&M had to go full court and didn't have a lot of time. Got a good shot, but not the same as if they had it at half court. Both teams play the game, don't diminish Xavier's shot to win.

I like pretty much all of Bilas' proposals. I don't like reviews...all the calls the refs screwed up the first 38 minutes were ignored. Just play. Make the call and stand by it.
Almost all of Bilas' rule ideas help the better coaches.

Why can't the reviews be handled like the NFL....each coach gets 2....if you win the challenge, you get another one? It's not rocket science. Games have become unwatchable down the stretch with all the reviews/delays.

With him 100% on his suggested changes pertaining to charging and coach's behavior. I can flip a coin on the rest of it.

I am even more against advancing the ball after watching the UConn-Stanford women's game. It is a huge advantage to the trailing team and is dragging out the last 3 minutes that already take forever.

I am even more against advancing the ball after watching the UConn-Stanford women's game. It is a huge advantage to the trailing team and is dragging out the last 3 minutes that already take forever.
Thought the same thing while watching that game. The rule makes no logical sense.

Top Bottom