Jason Williamson

Will be interesting to hear why he is no longer with the team. Didn’t transfer so could be any number of reasons.

Sorry to hear that! A lot of promise, but totally understandable if - taking a wild guess - the team/school offered to keep him on scholarship to finish his degree at the U while medically retiring.

What a shame. I was excited to see what this kid could do with the power and speed he showed in high school. Good luck with your next steps in life and may you run through the challenges you face in life like it was a MN High School defensive line.

He is transferring to St. Scholastica, in order to run 400 yards against Macalester.

I noticed that his name was not on the roster a few days ago. In every recruiting class, we most likely will see promising young Gopher athletes' dreams crushed by life-changing injuries.

Good luck Jason on the next step of your college journey!

Last edited:

His Prep Bowl game as a HS SR was nuts.

It would have been interesting to see what he could have done in college. After watching him play a couple of games in HS, my only real question was top-end speed. He had good feet and could really cut back well - but at D1, you need to have the jets if you want to be more than a 4-yards-a-crack guy.

if he had enough speed, I thought he would have been an intriguing return guy.

File this under what if.......

He was scoring touchdowns in the prep bowl while the Gophers were running all over Wisconsin at Wisconsin. A fond memory.

A well-deserved and well-earned scholarship. Unfortunately, career-ending injuries do happen.

The lessons that he learned from football and his positive attitude will serve him really well.

Hopefully, he is allowed to continue coming to The Athletic Village and allowed to interact with his former teammates.

A well-deserved and well-earned scholarship. Unfortunately, career-ending injuries do happen.

The lessons that he learned from football and his positive attitude will serve him really well.

Hopefully, he is allowed to continue coming to The Athletic Village and allowed to interact with his former teammates.
I believe that, he still has access to the trainers and academic support staff, which would mean that he would have access to the Athletic Village. I wish him nothing but the best for the future.

I don't quite know what happened to the other players like Noland Edmunds, and Grant Norton that they had different experiences than Jason Williamson.

These injured players have gone through a lot due to their life-altering injuries. Bouts of depression and other issues come to fruition. Each one of them copes differently.

Alex Riegelsperger's experience in handling and coping have been well documented - https://mndaily.com/201533/sports/spfbreigelsperger/

I am more impressed with Joan Gabel in her support for Gopher Athletics and her commitment to taking care of student-athletes.

Last edited:

Clearly much speculation about him early on. We will never know the impact that he could have had with the Gopher. I'm sure some will discuss endlessly and needlessly about that. However I do believe if he continues to hang out with the team doing his rehab etc., he'll have a fine life ahead of him. Good luck!

Shoulder injury didn’t allow for continuing safely.

Top Bottom