Jason Dickson graduating

Unfortunate that he didn't pan out but it was pretty clear last year that he wasn't really in the picture as an option. Risk you take with JC guys, sometimes they work out but many times they just can't cut it. Best of luck to him in life after football, hopefully he made some good connections during his time with the team.

Awesome that he is getting his degree! Getting a degree should be a priority especially since you're going to college for a reason.

We’ll never know if he was “encouraged” to graduate, or decided on his own if that was his best option.

Same with the two that just medically retired.

Regardless, that’s how it happens, every year at probably every P5 program, to make numbers for scholarships.

Good luck to him! (y)

We’ll never know if he was “encouraged” to graduate, or decided on his own if that was his best option.

Same with the two that just medically retired.

Regardless, that’s how it happens, every year at probably every P5 program, to make numbers for scholarships.

Good luck to him! (y)
You are wondering if he wanted to stop rowing the boat or if he got kicked out of the boat??

I am thinking the former here. The offensive line needs depth and he could help at OT this year. Still, it has to be discouraging to see freshmen and sophomores passing you by on the depth chart. I wish him the best of luck, too.

You are wondering if he wanted to stop rowing the boat or if he got kicked out of the boat??

I am thinking the former here. The offensive line needs depth and he could help at OT this year. Still, it has to be discouraging to see freshmen and sophomores passing you by on the depth chart. I wish him the best of luck, too.

Yeah, his choice, coaches, both, who knows. I have no way of knowing.

I always worry a little when I see someone leave from a position that IMO we need help at ... even if they haven't broken through the depth chart.

Congrats to him!

Although he was never going to crack the two deep lineup, he has contributed to the team in other ways.

Twenty two starters and then the backups doesn't give a few players a chance to see the playing field.

You need all those extra players for practice and in running the opponents plays.

Last edited:

I've only been sleeping 2 hours a night worrying about it.

Yeah....there are posters way too stressed about the numbers. I am sure there are things that catch the staff off guard each year but overall they have a plan for how it is all going to play out. It is like the salary cap in pro sports, there are people on staff with the job of making sure the numbers work.

Yeah....there are posters way too stressed about the numbers. I am sure there are things that catch the staff off guard each year but overall they have a plan for how it is all going to play out. It is like the salary cap in pro sports, there are people on staff with the job of making sure the numbers work.
I think I left the oven on...

Okay, who just spent lunch watching Terry Tate Office Linebacker videos?

I do not think Fleck "forced" anyone out, but even if he did, I really have zero issue with coaches forcing people out post-graduation. If a player is not good enough to contribute, I think the coach's/school's obligation should just be to have a scholarship until that player graduates.

I'm not saying that is what happened here.

I do not think Fleck "forced" anyone out, but even if he did, I really have zero issue with coaches forcing people out post-graduation. If a player is not good enough to contribute, I think the coach's/school's obligation should just be to have a scholarship until that player graduates.

I'm not saying that is what happened here.
I would say it more than likely is not the case as if he still really wanted to play, he could be a grad transfer and play immediately somewhere else.

I would say it more than likely is not the case as if he still really wanted to play, he could be a grad transfer and play immediately somewhere else.

Yeah, that is how I would read the fact that he is not transferring as well. There comes a point for most players when they have to decide when to put football behind them and move on with their life. Would appear that Dickson has reached that point.

Fifth year guys Schlueter and Olson, fourth year guys Andries and Schmitz, and third year guys Dunlap and Faalele should be a very, very good core for oline. 400 pound guy coming off an injury is a concern.

Good opportunity for third year guys Boe from Lakeville and Beier from Ohio to shine.

Fourth year walk on Axel Ruschmeyer from Holy Family via Hutch was in two deep at year end and put on scholarship recently.

There has been some good talk about redshirted frosh Guedet from Illinois and maroon shirted Cooper from just up the St. Croix.

Ty Lawrence from Canada and Clearwater sports academy early enrolled...From Fleck said at signing day deal, sounds like he might be a developmental project. Early enroll gives more time with S and C and Callahan.

Ersery (KC) and Martes (Indy) arrive in June with rest of frosh. Maybe they surprise early. Both had some decent offers.

Cody Smith from Eagan walked on and redshirted last season.

Walk on Jackson Ruschmeyer early enrolled.

Last edited:

Awesome that he is getting his degree! Getting a degree should be a priority especially since you're going to college for a reason.
Get your degree, set yourself free!

We were wondering how the scholarship numbers will work out before NSD. It looks like individual conversations between Coach Fleck and the players must have been occurring early last season.

Those that want playing time that couldn't have them with the Gophers mapped out their paths and have decided to transfer. Those that wanted to stay are staying put. It was inevitable for the Gopher Football program to get to this level. When you see guys like Mayan Ahanotu transferring out, you know that the program is going to new heights of competition. Expect the Gophers to make noise in the years to come. This is what we have been waiting for a good part of our life.

Some that are close to finishing up decide to complete their degree and graduate. This is most important. Those who have the opportunity to get to the NFL have an average NFL career length of 3.3 years. That means many players will be done playing pro bowl by the time they reach their 26th birthday. That degree is very important.

IMHO, when they signed Jason Dickson from JUCO it was a stop gap measure. The emphasis was to put bodies because they did not even have enough O-linemen for practice not to mention scrimmages.

It became apparent once they started building and having success with the Offensive Line that they need to recruit a certain type of OLs. Those that fits their agile trap blocking schemes. The mauling of the Auburn vaunted Defense was like a beautiful piece of Mozart music.

The entire Offense is predicated on solid blocking schemes well executed by physically strong large athletic Ofensive Linemen and Tight Ends.

I know that it seems like a luxury, but I am all for recruiting three (or more) Offensive Linemen a year. So far, there are Gopher linemen that retire early due to medical reasons. Some like Jason did not fit into the scheme. It is a hit or miss thing with OLs. Three a year seems to me to be a good insurance policy.

Of course, it goes without saying that our Defense played a huge role too. I am pretty pleased with the way the 2020 recruiting has gone for both Offensive and the Defense in general.

Last edited:

Good for him on completing his education and best of luck in his future! Seems like he's got his priorities in order.

Couldn’t agree with you more. One thing that’s certain in football and I would argue most sports, is you will play (or be part of a team) for a last game. We can discuss blocking schemes, whether or not he was a gamble / panned out but the kid has earned a degree. That is something that he will now always have and will open doors of possibility for him. Congratulations to Jason Dickson and other players who will be graduating this spring.

The only post in this entire thread that is a fact and makes any sense. All the rest are fabrication and fantasy. It can’t possibly be that a player would want to graduate and get a job or want to transfer to another school on his own.

There must have been a “conversation”! There had to be a “conversation”! Every player had to have been manipulated!

Ridiculous.

Another kid Fleck has kicked to the curb.

Top Bottom