Jarvis Johnson .. Please become a Gopher

freshtrout

Reaction score
Watching DeLaSalle this morning destroy St Paul Central, I hope that Jarivs decides to become a Gopher. What a nice solid point guard. Explosive when he needs to be (had a massive breakaway slam) and a smart floor general. With all of the scorers on his team he doesn't need to score much - but next year I'm sure he will. He seems to also have about 3 gears in terms of his speed. Thinking he'll be a solid Big Ten player.. Didn't realize that Quincy Lewis is a coach for DeLaSalle. Impressive team. Too bad DeLaSalle can't play Hopkins in this tournament. Was also really impressed with Sacar Anim as well. Nice - nice player. Reid Travis - well what can you say, he's top level D1 for sure.

Jarvis received your message... And yes, he is going to be a Gopher.

Nice that Quincy is on the staff, wasn't their head coach a Clem assistant?

Nice that Quincy is on the staff, wasn't their head coach a Clem assistant?

Yes, Dave Thorson was an assistant under Clem. Not exactly sure what his actual job title was but that is his connection with Quincy prior to Quincy becoming an assistant at De.

First time to see Dave Thorson 'live' .. With a 20 pt lead he was still going after the refs .. too much IMO. If Austin wins their next game (big if) I'm looking forward to the match-up between Jarvis and Zach Wessels. No doubt that DeLaSalle will win, but that match-up could be good TV. Wessels is maybe a D1 point guard - probably DII for sure - but is the best player for Austin. They went at it last year in the AAA championship game - so it's worth a look hopefully Saturday night.

After watching how (and how much) Pitino uses Mathieu, I can't help but envision him stepping into the same role. Hopefully he feels the same way.

Yeah - let's hope so. He seems to play under control and can make plays when he needs to. Similar to Al Nolen but Jarvis can go both ways with both hands and score, which AN couldn't do.

Hopefully Ben Johnson can work some magic. We NEED this kid.

After watching how (and how much) Pitino uses Mathieu, I can't help but envision him stepping into the same role. Hopefully he feels the same way.

+1 I hope he realizes the glory days can start with him.

Hopefully we don't lose another 'top flight' player to _____ This kid is the real deal. Lock him up Richard Pitino. Now.

Hopefully we don't lose another 'top flight' player to _____ This kid is the real deal. Lock him up Richard Pitino. Now.
Wessels is D2 U of Sioux Falls. Geno Crandall of DE 6'3 PG a young senior is playing as well as Jarvis and has the second best handles and court vision in Minnesota next to Tyus.

First time to see Dave Thorson 'live' .. With a 20 pt lead he was still going after the refs .. too much IMO. If Austin wins their next game (big if) I'm looking forward to the match-up between Jarvis and Zach Wessels. No doubt that DeLaSalle will win, but that match-up could be good TV. Wessels is maybe a D1 point guard - probably DII for sure - but is the best player for Austin. They went at it last year in the AAA championship game - so it's worth a look hopefully Saturday night.

I remember attending the Clem Haskins basketball camps back in the day. Thorson was a grade A jerk. Loud, arrogant and mean. Treating 12 year old kids (who were paying for this camp) like complete garbage. I have zero good things to say about him.

I remember attending the Clem Haskins basketball camps back in the day. Thorson was a grade A jerk. Loud, arrogant and mean. Treating 12 year old kids (who were paying for this camp) like complete garbage. I have zero good things to say about him.

Never met him, but I've heard the same. Considering that, it was funny to hear him invoke the Lord at Reid Travis' announcement.

I think it's called having a real pg. We haven't had that for awhile.

I went to the Clem Haskins camps too, but I don't remember him there. I just remember one of the Gophers teaching us how to flop.

I played in the same conference as DeLaSalle, though, and my coach had a disdain for Thorson, mixed with a bit of envy. This was right after the Ben Johnson/Alan Anderson days. I never really knew who Thorson was until years later I saw someone mention him on here as a former assistant.

Never met him, but I've heard the same. Considering that, it was funny to hear him invoke the Lord at Reid Travis' announcement.

People CAN change. It's possible.

I went to the Clem Haskins camps too, but I don't remember him there. I just remember one of the Gophers teaching us how to flop.

I played in the same conference as DeLaSalle, though, and my coach had a disdain for Thorson, mixed with a bit of envy. This was right after the Ben Johnson/Alan Anderson days. I never really knew who Thorson was until years later I saw someone mention him on here as a former assistant.

I also played in the same conference as DeLaSalle and had multiple friends who played for Thorson who would tell me they would actually practice flopping a few times a week. Thorson was always a loud, run-it-up kind of coach that I never heard a good comment about. Obviously he gets a lot out of his players and knows a lot about the game but he sure is obnoxious to watch/listen to. I just hope he doesn't have a negative outlook on Gopher Basketball and isn't pushing his players away. My friend told me he would always tell Reid not to feel pressured by the home state...he seems to have some power in Minnesota basketball still.

I also played in the same conference as DeLaSalle and had multiple friends who played for Thorson who would tell me they would actually practice flopping a few times a week. Thorson was always a loud, run-it-up kind of coach that I never heard a good comment about. Obviously he gets a lot out of his players and knows a lot about the game but he sure is obnoxious to watch/listen to. I just hope he doesn't have a negative outlook on Gopher Basketball and isn't pushing his players away. My friend told me he would always tell Reid not to feel pressured by the home state...he seems to have some power in Minnesota basketball still.

That's healthy, I think, and good advice. If he were driving players away - like Rene Pulley seems to be doing - that's a flogging offense.

Thorson's loud but as a guy that went to DLS (never made it to varsity) he's fine. Yea he's loud and abrasive and animated but I don't recall any of my guys on the team talking bad about him and he certainly didn't get anywhere near the hate we gave our FB coach at the time. Thorson wins even when he doesn't have D1 talent and gets the most out of his team so the players are obviously responding positively on the court to him.

Top Bottom