Jared Weyler Commits! - UPDATED GopherHole Q&A w/ Weyler on Commit

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>GI can confirm that <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Minnesota&src=hash">#Minnesota</a> just picked up it's second commit of the hour in Dayton (Ohio) Centerville OL Jared Weyler. Boom.</p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI/statuses/427960574819840000">January 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

*Whoops, spelled this title wrong too. *WEYLER. I'll just leave it up to the professionals from here on out.

Bring'em home Jerry! That private jet is getting a workout.

This sounds like good news, but he was a Bowling Green commit and after reading Gopherhole this weekend are we supposed to be P.O. at him or can we be happy?

Hometown:Centerville, Ohio
School:Centerville High School Position:Offensive Tackle Status: Committed Bowling Green 07/20/2013

This sounds like good news, but he was a Bowling Green commit and after reading Gopherhole this weekend are we supposed to be P.O. at him or can we be happy?

Hometown:Centerville, Ohio
School:Centerville High School Position:Offensive Tackle Status: Committed Bowling Green 07/20/2013

I'm pissed off. He should have committed to us in the beginning.

j/k

Seems like Kill & Co. took those extra schollies and are putting them to good use.

I like it.

According to GI's podcast a few days ago, they said the staff really liked Weyler and that they wanted him regardless of Ragnow. Like others have said, you can't have too many OL.

Jerry has done a fantastic job to close out recruiting

This is the best football news for the program. A needed addition and a quality athlete. Welcome aboard. Study well!

I've noticed most of additions have been kid's with good GPA's, including Jared with a 3.5

I'm guessing the Kill staff generally prefers these kids. I'd be curious how our recruit's GPA's and test scores measure up to those going to Northwestern and Stanford.

I've noticed most of additions have been kid's with good GPA's, including Jared with a 3.5

I'm guessing the Kill staff generally prefers these kids. I'd be curious how our recruit's GPA's and test scores measure up to those going to Northwestern and Stanford.

Yep, that's a great tie breaker amongst potential recruits. They probably save themselves a lot of time and energy on the backend with recruiting guys who you only really need to work on the football end. Kill won't have to worry about Weyler going to class or staying eligible. He can just focus on football.

Surprised they took another Olineman. If Ragnow commits that will make 18(!) of the 80 scholarship players next year Olineman. I wonder if Isaac Hayes might move to the Dline? The thing I don't like about so many Olineman is they are generally limited to only playing OL while WR can convert to CB/S, S to CB/LB, LB to DE or S, DT to OG, TE to OT or DE, QB to WR/CB/S, RB to LB/S, etc. The other issue is you need more LB's, WR/CB, and S's to play on the coverage teams.

Surprised they took another Olineman. If Ragnow commits that will make 18(!) of the 80 scholarship players next year Olineman. I wonder if Isaac Hayes might move to the Dline? The thing I don't like about so many Olineman is they are generally limited to only playing OL while WR can convert to CB/S, S to CB/LB, LB to DE or S, DT to OG, TE to OT or DE, QB to WR/CB/S, RB to LB/S, etc. The other issue is you need more LB's, WR/CB, and S's to play on the coverage teams.

It's a lot and I see your point, but I like recruiting a lot of OL. First off, there are 5 OL on the field on every play. Simply being an OL is versatile in itself. There are rarely 5 CBs or WRs, never 5 DTs or QBs. . .so while they aren't the best athletes to switch positions, you need a lot of them.

Second, the problem with us being OL heavy is that some walk-ons have been awarded scholarships (rightfully). So that adds to the numbers. We will have 11 SRs and JRs who are on scholarship. That's the number that is inflating our current scholarship numbers. Additionally, we only had 1 scholarship OL RS last season (Alex Mayes). So if we didn't add another OL, we'd be really short on scholarship OL in a couple seasons. Sometimes when you are balancing classes for the future, you're going to have a disproportionate year or so to fix the mess.

It's a lot and I see your point, but I like recruiting a lot of OL. First off, there are 5 OL on the field on every play. Simply being an OL is versatile in itself. There are rarely 5 CBs or WRs, never 5 DTs or QBs. . .so while they aren't the best athletes to switch positions, you need a lot of them.

Second, the problem with us being OL heavy is that some walk-ons have been awarded scholarships (rightfully). So that adds to the numbers. We will have 11 SRs and JRs who are on scholarship. That's the number that is inflating our current scholarship numbers. Additionally, we only had 1 scholarship OL RS last season (Alex Mayes). So if we didn't add another OL, we'd be really short on scholarship OL in a couple seasons. Sometimes when you are balancing classes for the future, you're going to have a disproportionate year or so to fix the mess.

Or, you can balance out like the big helmet schools and carry a ton of linemen on scholarship.

Really good points, especially about only taking 1 OL last year. When you look at it from the perspective of taking 5 OL commits (assuming Ragnow) in a two year span it makes a lot more sense. The only thing I'd disagree slightly on is that while you won't have 5 DT's on the field on one play, this staff uses at least 4 DT's for significant snaps each game. On the OL, you rarely rotate players (Lauer/Ed Olson did happen though) so the depth only plays if there's an injury. I think there is always a "mess" of some degree in regards to numbers at positions due to circumstances beyond a coaches control or different philosophies between prior coach A and current coach B. Great response though and you made me see the issue through a different lens.

Having 18 scholarship OL is not too many at all. Of the 22 starters from scrimmage, 5 are OL. That's 22.7%. Of the 85 (not 80) scholarship players, 22.7% equals 19 and change. So we're right on or maybe even one short - certainly not too many.

Welcome aboard Jared. It was fun seeing these positive developments last night.

They've also offered or have interest in eight or so OL's for 2015 already.

-Carlberg (DeLaSalle)
-The one from Sioux Falls
-The brothers from Iowa
-The one from Stewartville
-The three from Indianapolis that Limegrover offered from this past weekend

That's just off the top of my head; I could be forgetting someone.

They've also offered or have interest in eight or so OL's for 2015 already.

-Carlberg (DeLaSalle)
-The one from Sioux Falls
-The brothers from Iowa
-The one from Stewartville
-The three from Indianapolis that Limegrover offered from this past weekend

That's just off the top of my head; I could be forgetting someone.

I wouldnt mind seeing the Gophers take 3-4 OL every year. And to extrapolate that, in a normal 25 scholly class, I wouldnt mind seeing 8-10 lineman (OL & DL) each year.

Top Bottom