23. Illinois
31. GOPHERS
37. Michigan
42. Northwestern
50. Iowa
74. Penn State
79. Purdue
175. Indiana

Big Ten Nonconference SOS Rankings (out of 343 D-I teams)
33. Wisconsin
37. Indiana
55. Northwestern
62. Ohio State
68. Michigan State
104. Michigan
107. Illinois
109. Iowa
222. Purdue
246. GOPHERS
308. Penn State

Wins vs. RPI Top 50 (19)
Michigan St 6: Ohio State (14), vs. Texas (22), vs. Oklahoma State (29), at Gophers (31), at Northwestern (42), Bradley (47)
Michigan 3: Duke (2), Illinois (23), vs. UCLA (46)
Ohio State 2: Butler (3), Iowa (50)
GOPHERS 2: Ohio State (14), vs. Louisville (40)
Purdue 2: vs. Davidson (27), vs. Boston College (48)
Wisconsin 2: at Michigan (37), Northwestern (42)
Northwestern 1: Florida State (17)
Penn State 1: Northwestern (42)

National RPI Top 25 Rankings
1. Pitt
2. Duke
3. Butler
4. Xavier
5. Clemson
6. UConn
7. Michigan State
8. North Carolina
9. Wisconsin
10. Syracuse
11. Oklahoma
12. Cal
13. Miami-Ohio
14. Ohio State
15. Utah
16. Arizona State
17. Florida State
18. West Virginia
19. Villanova
20. Georgetown
21. Gonzaga
22. Texas
23. Illinois
24. St. Mary's
25. Marquette

:confused: Question for Selection Sunday or anyone else

I finally broke down and tried to understand RPI a little better.

25% Win% + 50% Opponents Win% + 25% Opponents Opponents Win%.

I found that CollegeRPI is a subscription service but I found Hoops Report which posts an RPI that is free. Their RPI is updated nightly and looks very close to CollegeRPI. You show CollegeRPI with MINN as 31 in RPI and Hoops shows MINN as 32 in RPI.

Hoops also shows a Strength of Schedule (SOS) for Minn as 120. You show CollegeRPI with a SOS of 246. Do you happen to know why the big discrepancy in SOS between these 2 sites.

Also, Hoops Report shows Minn record as 12-1 as of Last night indicating that they are not including our game against Conncordia St. Paul Division II school. Is it possible that CollegeRPI includes the Concordia game as part of our SOS calculation and thus bringing our SOS down considerably and thus explaining the big difference in the 2 SOS rankings?

This makes my head hurt a little but interesting. Any additional info is appreciated.

Hoops report link here http://www.thehoopsreport.com/rpi.aspx?action=rpi

RRJIII,

I post the Gophers' nonconference SOS (#246), not their overall SOS. CollegeRPI.com has the Gophers' overall SOS at #118, very similar to Hoops Report's #120 ranking.

CollegeRPI.com does not count non-DI games either, so it doesn't impact the SOS in any way. The Concordia-St. Paul game is a non-game, basically.

Do you happen to have the RPI ratings for the Big Ten at this time last year? It would be interesting to see how much improvement from top to bottom there has been. Middle of the conference is so much better.

Really interested to see tonight how the Gophers play on the road. Should be a good game.

Big game tonight as it is a game for us against a "top-50" team...

Good point

But the possibility exists that if the Gophers win tonight, Iowa drops out of the top 50. But who cares, right? No such thing as a bad conference road win.

A year later, Big 10 is miles & miles ahead of 2007-08

"Do you happen to have the RPI ratings for the Big Ten at this time last year? It would be interesting to see how much improvement from top to bottom there has been. Middle of the conference is so much better."

Excellent question, and I was finally able to dig it up in CollegeRPI.com's archives. Only two teams have a worse RPI than they had last year on this same date, Michigan State and Indiana. It is crystal clear that the middle and bottom of the Big Ten (except for IU) are infinitely better than 2007-08.

RPI through games played Jan. 7, 2008
5. Michigan State
17. Ohio State
19. Wisconsin
42. Indiana
55. Minnesota
108. Penn State
134. Purdue
141. Illinois
170. Michigan
177. Northwestern
210. Iowa

Most Improved Thus Far Based on RPI
1. Iowa (+160)
2. Northwestern (+135)
3. Michigan (+133)
4. Illinois (+118)
5. Purdue (+55)
6. Penn State (+34)
7. Minnesota (+24)
8. Wisconsin (+10)
9. Ohio State (+3)
10. Michigan State (-2)
11. Indiana (-133)

This offers proof that the tide can change drastically between mid-January and Selection Sunday. ... for the better or for the worse. OSU had a nice, comfortable RPI of #17 last year at this time and still failed to make the NCAA Tournament. On the other end of the spectrum, Purdue had an ugly RPI of #134 yet still ended up as the 2nd-best team in the Big Ten & comfortably in the NCAA tourney.

Thanks for the info.

An amazing turnaround, from an RPI perspective for the conference.

It should really help come seeding time.

Top Bottom