Janay Sanders

Bio. Looks like a point guard addition. Very nice! Question I have is Cooper like....how do you shoot 38% from three and 57% from the free throw line? Part of the answer is only 11 made 3's,
but still.
Star trib. She is a grad transfer. Welcome addition!

Last edited:

Bio. Looks like a point guard addition. Very nice! Question I have is Cooper like....how do you shoot 38% from three and 57% from the free throw line? Part of the answer is only 11 made 3's,
but still.

I am mirroring information floating around.

-5' 11" is on the taller side for guards. Ideal for shooting guard, combo guard.

-Didn't get many assists. Scores. A shooter. Rebounds.

I am guessing starts opposite Braun until the other off-ball guards/wings/small forwards show they are ready. And then she could probably rotate in at 3 positions. No idea how good of a ball handler she is.

One year of eligibility signals to others players that playing time opens up next season, so this year can learn and grow behind the veteran unless they are ready sooner.

Coach P called her versatile and veteran.

If she can play defense then sounds like her kind of player in the positionless basketball.

This also just removed a whole lotta risk with depth.

I think the goal was to land a good player but not so good they won't
come because of the competition for playing time.

I don't know. Just mirroring obvious information.

We will see...

I thought the most interesting part of her bio is:

PERSONAL
Sanders is the daughter of Renee and Malcolm. Her brother, Jalen Sanders, played basketball at App State from 2014-16, while her father walked on for the Mountaineers. Her uncles are former NBA standouts, Dell Curry and Muggsy Bogues. Her godbrother is three-time NBA champion and two-time Most Valuable Player, Stephen Curry.

very poor assist to turnover ratio 1.6-3.1 for her senior year.

Her FT% is poor during her career (~58%) but last year it was almost 70%.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4399438/janay-sanders

Seems like a solid add for depth. I noticed Janay’s Appalachian State team played Coach P.’s West Virginia squad last season.

I think players looking at us in the portal know we have a strong young core we are building around. Most obvious adds would be situations like this… A solid grad transfer from a mid-major that wants a shot at Power 5 for their final season. I don’t see many younger (freshman / sophomore) transfer players wanting to compete against the young core we have for starting spots. Those players normally go where they see an open spot hoping to star in.

She is an excellent seasoned veteran addition. The added depth will help to rest starters, which will be crucial down the season's stretch.

She's also posted triple digit turnovers: 112 last season and 107 the previous.

I think shooting guards statistically have the most turnovers because they are expected to make things happen, to shoot and score.

I think she is not a point guard for sure or those metrics would be real bad.

Based on who the Gophers hosted for known visits, Hottonger and Donarski, a shooter was the first priority and preferably playing good defense.

Hopefully the turnovers for all the players are better this year since they were extreme last year.

She's also posted triple digit turnovers: 112 last season and 107 the previous.
She played 31 games...that's less than 4 per game. The Gopher coaches saw her play...they must feel between better teammates and a better coaching plan that she can significantly lower that number.
She's gonna get a couple back with steals and blocks.
She'll make plays and help!

Janey Sanders press conference after game:

Extended interview:

Recognition:

I think all the highlights I could find are in the Gophers highlights video.

She played 31 games...that's less than 4 per game. The Gopher coaches saw her play...they must feel between better teammates and a better coaching plan that she can significantly lower that number.
and let's be honest App State 11-20 overall last year.. so guessing they weren't that good..

the highlights I've seen she is a quick guard who can spread the floor and get to the basket.. also I'm not sure she is the point guard for us maybe just another guard to use with Amaya and Mara out there.. to give another option to Amaya to pass too.

I'm assuming the above highlights imply that the coaching staff sees Sanders more as a receiver rather than a distributor. Summer will be for fitting that into a ball movement (I assume) offense.

For reference: last season

Appy State had 368 assists with 486 turnovers (Sanders led the turnovers with 112)
Minnesota had 410 assists with 460 turnovers (Battle led the turnovers with 99)
West Virginia had 348 assists with 414 turnovers (Two players had 74 turnovers)

I'm assuming the above highlights imply that the coaching staff sees Sanders more as a receiver rather than a distributor. Summer will be for fitting that into a ball movement (I assume) offense.

For reference: last season

Appy State had 368 assists with 486 turnovers (Sanders led the turnovers with 112)
Minnesota had 410 assists with 460 turnovers (Battle led the turnovers with 99)
West Virginia had 348 assists with 414 turnovers (Two players had 74 turnovers)
I'd say coach P and her staff know what they want...know what kind of player can fit their system.
Their track record tells us they will push the right buttons to get us competitive. But, there does seem to be a ways to go to get to the Gophers to the top level. Still think she'll continue her streak and elevate us to the NCAA tournament this year.

I am curious about positionless basketball. What is theory, what actually happens.

In theory I think a team wants 3 players on the court that are wings/shooting guards that also play like combo guards that can distribute the ball well enough like point guards. They move the ball around and try to set each other up hitting on three levels and handling the ball well enough to not bungle. And if the team has a point guard that player is more than just dribble up court and feed the ball.

And then a power forward that shoots like a wing and rebounds like a post. Being able to shoot like a wing is probably the closest to positionless basketball.

But I don't know if this really exists since perimeter shooting is difficult and then for that person to be a distributor too.

And then we have Caitlin Clark at Iowa who is the master at assists while also being the scoring master. A very different way of doing things.

I would say having multiple players that can hit from the perimeter -- and make the other team respect that -- would be huge.

Excellent insights.

DePaul Ball, as they like to call it, boils down to four key factors—three-point shooting, transition, half-court offense and rebounding.

While the three-ball has played a crucial role in spreading the court, Bruno says his philosophy emphasizes getting to the rim for the highest percentage shot, which often comes in transition.

“The spacing exists to get the ball to the rim, but the best shot basketball is still going to be a layup,” Bruno says. “What I’m trying to figure out is how to score the highest rate of points per possession. You score the highest rate of points for possession in the open court, not in the half court.”

“I really believe the essence of the game of basketball is sharing and serving your teammates,” Bruno says. “Every pass to a teammate is a service project within the game.”
“We have a lot of freedom,” Held adds. “The only rule we have is to shoot it or share it. Other than that, he trusts us to play our game and make decisions. And we don’t have set plays that we run every time on the court.”

This stems from Bruno’s idea of ‘positionless basketball,’ in which each player on the court can play every position. Freshman forward Aneesah Morrow, senior guard Sonya Morris and Held all said this ideology played a significant role in their decision to choose DePaul, as well as the green light the coach gives those on the court. As a result of the philosophy, all five of his starters are averaging double digits, with seven players totaling six or more points a game.

“You can shoot it from anywhere. You can drive it from anywhere. He doesn’t try to limit your game at all,” Morrow says.

Bruno and his players believe rebounding has been the differentiating factor for them this season.

“Coach always says the offense will work if the players make the offense work,” Morris says. “If they take one option from us, we’ll have another option because that’s how the offense is and us as individual players are. We’ve got the skills, talents and capabilities to adjust to the defense or what the defense took from us.”

ETC

Link to a cool round table about "modern" basketball, from that article:

Excellent insights.

DePaul Ball, as they like to call it, boils down to four key factors—three-point shooting, transition, half-court offense and rebounding.

While the three-ball has played a crucial role in spreading the court, Bruno says his philosophy emphasizes getting to the rim for the highest percentage shot, which often comes in transition.

“The spacing exists to get the ball to the rim, but the best shot basketball is still going to be a layup,” Bruno says. “What I’m trying to figure out is how to score the highest rate of points per possession. You score the highest rate of points for possession in the open court, not in the half court.”

“I really believe the essence of the game of basketball is sharing and serving your teammates,” Bruno says. “Every pass to a teammate is a service project within the game.”
“We have a lot of freedom,” Held adds. “The only rule we have is to shoot it or share it. Other than that, he trusts us to play our game and make decisions. And we don’t have set plays that we run every time on the court.”

This stems from Bruno’s idea of ‘positionless basketball,’ in which each player on the court can play every position. Freshman forward Aneesah Morrow, senior guard Sonya Morris and Held all said this ideology played a significant role in their decision to choose DePaul, as well as the green light the coach gives those on the court. As a result of the philosophy, all five of his starters are averaging double digits, with seven players totaling six or more points a game.

“You can shoot it from anywhere. You can drive it from anywhere. He doesn’t try to limit your game at all,” Morrow says.

Bruno and his players believe rebounding has been the differentiating factor for them this season.

“Coach always says the offense will work if the players make the offense work,” Morris says. “If they take one option from us, we’ll have another option because that’s how the offense is and us as individual players are. We’ve got the skills, talents and capabilities to adjust to the defense or what the defense took from us.”

ETC

Link to a cool round table about "modern" basketball, from that article:

just post the link.. if people want to read the article they will click the link.. you have a tendency to post SUPER LONG posts that just makes this board messy.. as people have to scroll and scroll..

I'm sorry to sound rude, but here come to this board to post comments and interact with other fans..

your long post just make it harder for people to just read other posts

just post the link.. if people want to read the article they will click the link.. you have a tendency to post SUPER LONG posts that just makes this board messy.. as people have to scroll and scroll..

I'm sorry to sound rude, but here come to this board to post comments and interact with other fans..

your long post just make it harder for people to just read other posts
I'm sorry but I agree with this. Look I am all for people posting and sharing ideas, thoughts on team etc but this poster RARELY is on topic. If it is on topic it quickly goes wayyyyy overboard or is posting old articles. Like It truly is hard to come on here when it's the same poster on almost every new post multiple times throughout the day. Just because they changed their name doesn't mean we dont know the posting style.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....keep posts on topic, current or in regards to the topic at hand.

Fine numbers for bench but would be concerning if she's starting with similar stats

Coach P’s teams are known for their defense, as we had some of the lowest turnover rates in the nation during the years we were at South Dakota. Her staff will work with the players, and if they continue to have turnovers, they will sit on the bench a lot. As to the positionless offense, Coach P’s teams are good at it. You may also call it selfless offense, as they spread the ball around a lot. You can see good examples of it on the South Dakota women’s basketball site, under the video watch page. Every girl learns how to bring the ball up to court, every girl looks to get assists and post-ups and rebounds. She changes it slightly depending on the players she has available, such as when my daughter was so effective inside. However, even she had to go out and play on the perimeter at times. I’m sure Coach P will do the same with Ayianna Johnson, who is the same height and build as my daughter.

Top Bottom