Jamison Transferred To OSU So That He Could Experience March Madness Oh! Oh!

daveozark

Reaction score
Last time I checked Ohio State trails the Gophers by 1 1/2 games in the Big Ten. Granted their Net ratings are marginally better than the Gophs, but not good enough to be a bubble team. Grass is not always greener on the other side. Wouldn’t it be sweet if Mr. Battle was starting along side Dawson and JOJ.

It's striking how they've sunk like a rock (lost 6 of their last 7 games). Early in the season, they looked like they could be a top 5 team in the conference. Well, there's still NIT March Madness I guess.

Battle's shooting percentages are way up across the board. Shame he didn't stick around because he would have been a really nice piece on this current team shooting the way he is.

Won't feel bad for him if Ohio State ends up missing the tournament.

Battle's shooting percentages are way up across the board. Shame he didn't stick around because he would have been a really nice piece on this current team shooting the way he is.

He's having a much better year. The all around game, the defensive side, the making other team mates better- that's what I question there. That team has talent and of course its not his fault but....

He's having a much better year. The all around game, the defensive side, the making other team mates better- that's what I question there. That team has talent and of course its not his fault but....
He's healthy...

He wasn't willing to be anything but the lead guy here though, and threw up such dumb shots. Also, he's not playing any better defense at OSU than he did here - still a significant liability. We are much better without him on that end of the court. Offensively he was a ball stopper, and in watching some of the OSU games he still is. May be shooting better, but is a liability to them on defense and doesn't make anyone around him better offensively.

He wasn't willing to be anything but the lead guy here though, and threw up such dumb shots. Also, he's not playing any better defense at OSU than he did here - still a significant liability. We are much better without him on that end of the court. Offensively he was a ball stopper, and in watching some of the OSU games he still is. May be shooting better, but is a liability to them on defense and doesn't make anyone around him better offensively.

I thought the same thing when watching a couple of OSU games this season where the other team went on big runs against them. He was almost useless on the defensive end in those moments.

Last time I checked Ohio State trails the Gophers by 1 1/2 games in the Big Ten. Granted their Net ratings are marginally better than the Gophs, but not good enough to be a bubble team. Grass is not always greener on the other side. Wouldn’t it be sweet if Mr. Battle was starting along side Dawson and JOJ.
No it wouldnt be. We tried that all last year and it was a disaster.

Too much positional overlap for those guys and it didnt work. Resulted in Battle massively regressing.

Would also have christie coming off the bench

A defense of undersized Hawkins and Christie at the 1 and 2. Battle and JOJ tryna guard wings and PFs and Dawson as a C. Would be a disfunctional offense and terrible D.

Fwiw, apparently Battle had a key turnover late in the Suckeyes game to seal the 18 point comeback by Indiana last night. They have lost eight of nine now.

Battle is a really talented player, but I like this year's chemistry with Hawkins and Mitchell better. Battle worked well when Willis was driving the offense and Battle could play off of him as pretty much the only other scoring option. Big problem for the Gophers the second half of that season is that the rest of the conference figured out that there wasn't a third option and everything bogged down.

As for last season, point guard play regressed and the Battle/Garcia tandem didn't mesh. Both of those guys really need the ball and there is only one ball.

I have no animosity towards Battle. Like I said, he's very good, but he's also a bit one-dimensional in that he's a scorer (and pretty much an outside shooter) that almost requires that the offense be built around him to get optimal value from his talents. I have a friend who is (or was at our age) an extremely good basketball player who played several seasons in Europe. He always remarked that Battle wasn't selfish enough given the talent level around him. That may have been true his first season with the Gophers, but clearly not last year (and probably wouldn't have been this year).

Battle is a really talented player, but I like this year's chemistry with Hawkins and Mitchell better. Battle worked well when Willis was driving the offense and Battle could play off of him as pretty much the only other scoring option. Big problem for the Gophers the second half of that season is that the rest of the conference figured out that there wasn't a third option and everything bogged down.

As for last season, point guard play regressed and the Battle/Garcia tandem didn't mesh. Both of those guys really need the ball and there is only one ball.

I have no animosity towards Battle. Like I said, he's very good, but he's also a bit one-dimensional in that he's a scorer (and pretty much an outside shooter) that almost requires that the offense be built around him to get optimal value from his talents. I have a friend who is (or was at our age) an extremely good basketball player who played several seasons in Europe. He always remarked that Battle wasn't selfish enough given the talent level around him. That may have been true his first season with the Gophers, but clearly not last year (and probably wouldn't have been this year).
Excellent insights

I have animosity towards him. I bet I’m not the only one rejoicing in his schaudenfrede.

Yep, I don't wish him any ill will, but I'm good where we are. The majority of the minutes at the 4 should come from Payne/Christie and Battle is not a help at the 3.

Do not have any ill will towards J. Battle.

OSU however I wish could lose every last game that they play. Even against Iowa.

Michigan State was what, #17 in KenPom...that didn't seem to matter much.

I don't wish we had Battle this year. A senior who takes up 38 minutes and 20 shots. I like this as a building year...with everyone eligible to return next year.
yeah pending what happens with the portal and if DG comes back, next years team really could have a shot to do something great. They've already gotten substantially better this year, could be really good next year

Top Bottom