Jamison, Parker, Treyton

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
Jamison, Parker and Treyton. That's the start of a good looking lineup next year.

Treyton with a year in the system and 20 lbs added to his frame. Jamison with a year of having been "the man." And Parker with his explosiveness.

We just need to develop Carrington and Henley, and add one solid transfer at guard.

I can't be the only one who looks at next year with anticipation?

Jamison, Parker and Treyton. That's the start of a good looking lineup next year.

Treyton with a year in the system and 20 lbs added to his frame. Jamison with a year of having been "the man." And Parker with his explosiveness.

We just need to develop Carrington and Henley, and add one solid transfer at guard.

I think Inhen could have the highest upside out of that batch.

I would feel much better with three solid transfers - true PG, C, SG. Ben should be able to sell his vision much easier than in 2021.

I was going to add Ihnen also, add Payne and they won't lack athleticism that's for sure. Not sure there is an inside muscle type in the group though, there will be times they will need that.

I think Trenton has a chance to play solid minutes next year but I believe Payne starts next year. He looks very impressive now that he’s back playing.

I was going to add Ihnen also, add Payne and they won't lack athleticism that's for sure. Not sure there is an inside muscle type in the group though, there will be times they will need that.
Yeah, oddly enough, we will be a bit 4/5 heavy next season at least if Ben agrees with me and Battle's minutes should (mostly) come at the 4.

C: Payne / Thompson / Ihnen
PF: Battle / Fox / Ihnen

If we shift Battle down to the 3, that spacing starts getting much clunkier.

Yeah, oddly enough, we will be a bit 4/5 heavy next season at least if Ben agrees with me and Battle's minutes should (mostly) come at the 4.

C: Payne / Thompson / Ihnen
PF: Battle / Fox / Ihnen

Im comfortable with the Ihnen, Battle, Fox starting front court next year. Ihnen helps space the floor still with Battle. And on defense all three are pretty interchangeable, so we would able to play alot of switch defense.

Looking at a recent video of Parker Fox doing his rehab, he looks like he is making good progress.

Im comfortable with the Ihnen, Battle, Fox starting front court next year. Ihnen helps space the floor still with Battle. And on defense all three are pretty interchangeable, so we would able to play alot of switch defense.
I don't love that front court for very many minutes. Part of spacing also requires some ball handling from the 4. That lineup rolls out two players who are almost no threat with the ball in their hands (Fox and Ihnen). I know we'll have to play that (or something similar for stretches), but I think our base set really should be Battle at the 4 with another post player at the 5.

In one sense, Thompson could be the key. Up to this point, according to what Johnson has said, the Gopher coaches have been looking at Thompson as more of a "stretch 4" than a traditional post player. He is supposed to be a good outside shooter. the issue is defense - can he guard a '4' on defense, or do they have to go zone when Thompson is in the game.

But, if Thompson can be a '4' on offense, at least, then you could look at a rotation where Battle is more of a wing/SF type, Fox at PF, Payne at C, Thompson as the swingman, backing up the 4 and 5,
and Ihnen getting minutes at SF or PF depending on the lineup.

I agree for the most part, but the beauty (at least in theory) of playing Ihnen/Thompson at the 5 is getting some stretch from your center spot.

In one sense, Thompson could be the key. Up to this point, according to what Johnson has said, the Gopher coaches have been looking at Thompson as more of a "stretch 4" than a traditional post player. He is supposed to be a good outside shooter. the issue is defense - can he guard a '4' on defense, or do they have to go zone when Thompson is in the game.

But, if Thompson can be a '4' on offense, at least, then you could look at a rotation where Battle is more of a wing/SF type, Fox at PF, Payne at C, Thompson as the swingman, backing up the 4 and 5,
and Ihnen getting minutes at SF or PF depending on the lineup.
Thompson's future is almost certainly as a stretch 5.

If he can provide average shooting from deep, and decent rim protection...that becomes an extremely valuable player.

here is my take on it....

5-Payne/Thompson
4-Fox/Battle/Ihnen/Payne/Ola-Joseph
3-Battle/Henley/Ihnen
2-Carrington/Henley/Thiam
1-????/Carrington

We have so much versatility...on paper anyway....at the forward spots....
Almost too many mouths to feed with Battle/Fox/Ihnen and all 3 of thems best position is probably the 4. So i would say it will be some combination of Battle and one of the other 2 at the 2 forward spots.

if we can find a high end grad transfer at PG & at least a solid grad transfer at C next year that would be huge for this team

and i cant imagine how much it will help Battle not having to play 36 plus minutes a game as well. we will at least have enough bodies to give him those short breathers before a media timeout and what not.

PS....Henley dropped another 24 points last night.....hes going to be a damn player for us! would have felt a lot better if we secured him sooner and got him signed in the early signing period. April 13th cant come soon enough on that front!

here is my take on it....

5-Payne/Thompson
4-Fox/Battle/Ihnen/Payne/Ola-Joseph
3-Battle/Henley/Ihnen
2-Carrington/Henley/Thiam
1-????/Carrington

We have so much versatility...on paper anyway....at the forward spots....
Almost too many mouths to feed with Battle/Fox/Ihnen and all 3 of thems best position is probably the 4. So i would say it will be some combination of Battle and one of the other 2 at the 2 forward spots.

if we can find a high end grad transfer at PG & at least a solid grad transfer at C next year that would be huge for this team

and i cant imagine how much it will help Battle not having to play 36 plus minutes a game as well. we will at least have enough bodies to give him those short breathers before a media timeout and what not.

PS....Henley dropped another 24 points last night.....hes going to be a damn player for us! would have felt a lot better if we secured him sooner and got him signed in the early signing period. April 13th cant come soon enough on that front!
Battle is going to play a lot next year as well......

This will turn into the same discussion as we've had 100000 times on here. If you criticize/question you arent a fan and have no faith. If you are all in you are an idiot because we dont have elite top end talent and we will never win a game. It can be pretty frustrating ha.

That said, we are losing a lot next year, we have been better than I had anticipated so losing Curry/Willis/Loewe/Sutherlin/Stephens means a lot of graphics showing "this team is replacing 80% of X, Y and Z". I am excited about our F/C spots. Battle is a stud, thompson will have another year in the system, Payne looks like the real deal, Fox should be solid, Ihnen always has flashes and JOJ looks to have some upside. Our backcourt I am VERY skeptical of as it sits today. Carrington/Henley look to me more like long term guys not show up on campus and produce day 1 in big roles. Thiam has shown nothing to give us hope and that is all we have. I think we need at least 2 if not 3 (not 100% on scholarship #'s) transfer guys to take a majority of the time. If you want to look at it from that end there is some hope, we were in a similar spot last spring and we ended up with Willis/Loewe/Stephens who arent a top 5 B1G backcourt but not a total disaster either. I think we need to find a similar trio to help the young guys along next year.

Still needs a PG and at least a combo guard in my mind, could get by without a center.

5-Thompson/Payne/Fox/Ihnen
4-Ihnen/Fox/Payne/Ola-Joseph
3-Battle/Ihnen/Henley
2-Carrington//Thiam/Henley
1-????/Carrington

I feel like everyone is forgetting that Ihnen was top-10 all-time ranked recruit for us... https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

Dude has some real nice game that was starting to blossom, even being held back by the previous regime/squad. He needs to be starting for us- if he can develop some chemistry with Battle for pick-n-roll/pop, he'll be very dangerous! Small ball-center would be great for him, but we can't plan to start games that way.

We've also seen nothing from Fox in a D1 game, much less B1G- not sure why everyone thinks his explosiveness alone will amount to instant success (see Rodney Williams). I'm excited for him, but he's probably better off the bench for energy initially, at least until he shows he can adapt.

Braedon will start somewhere, depending on incoming transfers... Realistic scenario for him could be a Gabe-like freshman season 🤞🤞🤞

Henley and JOJ won't play at all unless there's some major improvement- talented projects. The next year though they'll shine...

I can see Payne getting TT type minutes next year and driving us all NUTS. Speaks more for TT's development than for Payne tho

So yeah, write that down!! :D

Last edited:

We've also seen nothing from Fox in a D1 game, much less B1G- not sure why everyone thinks his explosiveness alone will amount to instant success (see Rodney Williams). I'm excited for him, but he's probably better off the bench for energy initially, at least until he shows he can adapt.
He's a couple of inches taller than Rodney, he fits into the PF position a little bit better than Rodney. The no D1 experience might be a concern.

Battle is going to play a lot next year as well......
of course he will....as i said its more of....hey there is a dead ball....we have a minute before the media timeout...lets get battle out and while it will only be 1 minute of game time it will be 2-3 minutes break....something along those lines....next year we have the guys to do it....this year we legit cant

Success or failure next year will depend on getting a great PG transfer. Ben desperately needs to fill that position.

of course he will....as i said its more of....hey there is a dead ball....we have a minute before the media timeout...lets get battle out and while it will only be 1 minute of game time it will be 2-3 minutes break....something along those lines....next year we have the guys to do it....this year we legit cant
I would bet his minutes are virtually the same next season as this season.

I think Johnson has said that his system does not necessarily rely on a "traditional" PG. Willis would be a SG on a lot of other teams, but he plays PG for MN out of need.

So yes, I think the Gophers need to bring in a PG for next year - ideally a transfer with some experience.

But, I would not be surprised if Carrington gets significant minutes at the point next year - maybe as a "point forward" type.

as long as somebody can get the ball up court, once you are in the front-court, you don't have to have a traditional PG to initiate the offense.

and for the future - this Chatman kid looks like the real deal. if Johnson can land him, that would be a yuge deal.

5-Thompson/Payne/Fox/Ihnen
4-Ihnen/Fox/Payne/Ola-Joseph
3-Battle/Ihnen/Henley
2-Carrington//Thiam/Henley
1-????/Carrington

I feel like everyone is forgetting that Ihnen was top-10 all-time ranked recruit for us... https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

Dude has some real nice game that was starting to blossom, even being held back by the previous regime/squad. He needs to be starting for us- if he can develop some chemistry with Battle for pick-n-roll/pop, he'll be very dangerous! Small ball-center would be great for him, but we can't plan to start games that way.

We've also seen nothing from Fox in a D1 game, much less B10- not sure why everyone thinks his explosiveness alone will amount to instant success (see Rodney Williams). I'm excited for him, but he's probably better off the bench for energy initially, at least until he shows he can adapt.

Braedon will start somewhere, depending on incoming transfers... Realistic scenario for him could be a Gabe-like freshman season 🤞🤞🤞

Henley and JOJ won't play at all unless there's some major improvement- talented projects. The next year though they'll shine...

I can see Payne getting TT type minutes next year and driving us all NUTS. Speaks more for TT's development than for Payne tho

So yeah, write that down!!

He's a couple of inches taller than Rodney, he fits into the PF position a little bit better than Rodney. The no D1 experience might be a concern.
Eh, an inch and little thicker I suppose... I was getting at the explosiveness being the featured aspect of his game though. Don't doubt my eagerness to see him on the court though haha!

Top Bottom