Jamison Battle: Hey everyone, earlier today my bike was stolen while I was in class.

Pretty nice looking bike! But no way is anyone stupid enough to ride it around campus after stealing it.

I'm against bribing players from other teams and turning 'college' sports into a joke.

But we should definitely give Battle a brand new bike. And upgrade it. Things like that. Our players shouldn't have to go searching for their stolen property.

On a side note, why does a strong 20 something need a peddle assist electric bike? Come on Jamison, those peddle assists are for old farts and weak folk, not for an elite athlete in his prime. I can get you a good used bike at Bike King in Inver Grove Heights that will serve you well on campus.

Keep an eye on social media for a similar looking bike for sale. Thieves tend to either part those things out immediately or sell/trade them for drugs to black market bike sellers. Hopefully, he had it registered. Ups the chances of finding it from zero to maybe 10%.

I hate bike thieves. Some of these thieves are experienced enough to spot, saw through a U-Lock and gone in a few minutes and just look like they're struggling with their key (like all of us have) while doing so. Lost a pair of $1,000 bikes (which to me is a heck of a lot of money) in the past 5 years. His bike looks a lot more expensive than mine.

Hopefully it will be returned/found. If not....hopefully there is something that can be done without breaking any rules to replace his bike.

Is this a pretty common issue on campus? Stolen bikes? I'd think that there would be ways that this could be minimized. Cameras near bike racks. More solid, campus provided lock systems.

Hopefully it will be returned/found. If not....hopefully there is something that can be done without breaking any rules to replace his bike.

Is this a pretty common issue on campus? Stolen bikes? I'd think that there would be ways that this could be minimized. Cameras near bike racks. More solid, campus provided lock systems.
It was super common when I was there. Had 3 stolen. One in a locked bike room at University Village. One right outside Weaver Densford, which is fairly high traffic. The 3rd in Dinkytown was actually intentional, it was a cheap bike with bad brakes I wanted to get rid of. Left it unlocked and literally the first night it was gone lol!

Drive through the riverside neighborhood on the west Bank. Right down Cedar until reach the 94 overpass.

You’ll see a tent encampment; each tent has multiple bikes and bike parts out front. Expensive ones. This is one small location that manifests a large part of the problem.

Depending on the carrier and policy, his parent’s homeowners insurance may lessen the blow to replace the stolen bike, if not cover a large portion.

Drive through the riverside neighborhood on the west Bank. Right down Cedar until reach the 94 overpass.

You’ll see a tent encampment; each tent has multiple bikes and bike parts out front. Expensive ones. This is one small location that manifests a large part of the problem.

What kind of parts? Are people REALLY buying and selling bike parts? I get it for more expensive bikes....but your typical bike?

What kind of parts? Are people REALLY buying and selling bike parts? I get it for more expensive bikes....but your typical bike?
Frames, wheels. I don’t think they are technically for sale. However, I think if you offered any price you likely get accepted. Not really the spot one wants to wave a lot of cash though.

This has been happening all over the City.

This summer, by the old Kmart on Nicollet, where the temp US post office is set up (where the day laborers hang out) there used to be hundreds stacked up.

Normally one would be able to park roughly 6 cars abreast. It was Roughly 100 feet long.

At its worst, It went down to one lane in between the fence and stacked bikes. They were stacked tight, sometimes on top of one another. Then a dude was murdered there (Carlos Rangel). Cleared within a few days.

In the attched pic, the distance was from the storefront all the way to the curb (where a fence is now). Although, it was the building next to Kmart.

I feel for you Jamison, I just had another bike stolen about 6 weeks ago. I've had several stolen over the years. While it may be worse, it's not a new problem by any means. In this case it was me screwing up and not having my u-lock on the bike. I know better than to use a cable, even in the middle of the day.

What is new and even worse is the wave of KIA and Hyundai thefts. I got a replacement bike, brought it home with the bike rack on my car and brought it inside.

The next day I went out to go to work and my KIA Optima was stolen. KIA and Hyundai are absurdly easy to steal. "Fortunately" mine was just taken by kids who are part of wave of young'uns who jumped on this Tik Toc/Instagram trend and took it for a joyride. Police found it a couple miles away the next day and all it required was a new window and steering column.
Got a club for the steering wheel now.

Exhausting.

I feel for you Jamison, I just had another bike stolen about 6 weeks ago. I've had several stolen over the years. While it may be worse, it's not a new problem by any means. In this case it was me screwing up and not having my u-lock on the bike. I know better than to use a cable, even in the middle of the day.

What is new and even worse is the wave of KIA and Hyundai thefts. I got a replacement bike, brought it home with the bike rack on my car and brought it inside.

The next day I went out to go to work and my KIA Optima was stolen. KIA and Hyundai are absurdly easy to steal. "Fortunately" mine was just taken by kids who are part of wave of young'uns who jumped on this Tik Toc/Instagram trend and took it for a joyride. Police found it a couple miles away the next day and all it required was a new window and steering column.

Exhausting.

Buy American 🇺🇸

j/k. Sorry for your transportation travails

Exhausting.
can you still buy a club?

I hadn't seen one of those in years until I was at my kids youth hockey tournament this spring enjoying a beverage in the parking lot when some older dude pulls up in like a 1995 Honda that was a complete rust bucket, puts the club on, and gets out. This in a parking lot full of nice/new/fancy SUV's. His POS would have been the last car in that lot anyone would have tried to steal. Although maybe it would have been the easiest to steal. Just thought it was pretty funny to see a club on something worth about $100. However I'm sure it was there waiting for him when he came back out, so he had that going for him.

I hadn't seen one of those in years until I was at my kids youth hockey tournament this spring enjoying a beverage in the parking lot when some older dude pulls up in like a 1995 Honda that was a complete rust bucket, puts the club on, and gets out. This in a parking lot full of nice/new/fancy SUV's. His POS would have been the last car in that lot anyone would have tried to steal. Although maybe it would have been the easiest to steal. Just thought it was pretty funny to see a club on something worth about $100. However I'm sure it was there waiting for him when he came back out, so he had that going for him.
Manual transmission works that way too now.

There was a carjacking in Uptown, the theives brought dude’s car back after a minute and got back in the one they showed up in.

Frames, wheels. I don’t think they are technically for sale. However, I think if you offered any price you likely get accepted. Not really the spot one wants to wave a lot of cash though.

This has been happening all over the City.

This summer, by the old Kmart on Nicollet, where the temp US post office is set up (where the day laborers hang out) there used to be hundreds stacked up.

Normally one would be able to park roughly 6 cars abreast. It was Roughly 100 feet long.

At its worst, It went down to one lane in between the fence and stacked bikes. They were stacked tight, sometimes on top of one another. Then a dude was murdered there (Carlos Rangel). Cleared within a few days.

In the attched pic, the distance was from the storefront all the way to the curb (where a fence is now). Although, it was the building next to Kmart.
It's been this way on the west coast for years, unfortunately. There is an RV that drives around our town and it has maybe 20 some odd bikes strapped to it. They are 100% stolen and will be parted out/resold. It's really frustrating that more is not done about it.

Yep, there's a wide variety of them available. Never thought I would need one but since I have, for the second time, found myself the owner of one of the most frequently stolen cars I had to get one.

Anyhooo.... Jamison Battle was an amazing surprise last year and I hope he takes his frustration with this out on opponents. :)

My son had a 1997 Honda CRV. Easy to steal. After the first time, he got the club. The second time it was stolen, they had cut thru the steering wheel to take off the club. So much for that.

Believe it or not, old Honda Accords and Civics are usually among the top 5 stolen cars in any given year . . . not because the thieves want to drive them, but because there are so many of them on the road, there is a huge market for used parts. Others in the top 5 are usually Toyota Camry and Ford and Chevy pickups.

Believe it or not, old Honda Accords and Civics are usually among the top 5 stolen cars in any given year . . . not because the thieves want to drive them, but because there are so many of them on the road, there is a huge market for used parts. Others in the top 5 are usually Toyota Camry and Ford and Chevy pickups.
I do believe it as I had a Civic stolen during the day time in downtown St Paul.

The police found it about a week later in Frogtown.

On a side note, why does a strong 20 something need a peddle assist electric bike? Come on Jamison, those peddle assists are for old farts and weak folk, not for an elite athlete in his prime. I can get you a good used bike at Bike King in Inver Grove Heights that will serve you well on campus.
Most have scooters, so...

Top Bottom