James Farrow commits to gophers

this is great news!!! from the early projections it sounds like there will only be 3 kids from the state this year that are worthy of high D 1...We have 2/3 now!

this is great news!!! from the early projections it sounds like there will only be 3 kids from the state this year that are worthy of high D 1...We have 2/3 now!

Really? I feel like this class will be deeper than last year's class. A lot of players in this state are generating a lot of interest from area D1 schools and some from other conferences. I feel as though this state class has potential to shape up to be an overall decent one!

Welcome to Gopher Nation James! I'm really glad to see Farrow commit so early, hopefully he has his academics in order (see below). MV rates him on his blog as possibly the second highest recruit in the state.

This was posted on ESPN earlier about him.

James Farrow (Minnetonka, Minn./Minnetonka) was one of the standouts last weekend at the Sound Mind/Sound Body, Michigan Showcase. The 6-foot, 180-pound cornerback is hoping to follow in his father's footsteps.
"I'm waiting for Minnesota to offer," Farrow said. "My dad (Lonnie Farrow) played his college football at Minnesota and I've been talking a lot to coach (Kevin) Cosgrove and Josh Sternquist, who works in the recruiting department."

Farrow has yet to have been offered a scholarship thus far in the process by any schools, but that's not because of lack of talent.

"I have work to do in the classroom," Farrow explained. "I've been talking to Minnesota and I think they are going to offer as soon as I have my academics squared away."

Farrow, who has been invited to junior days at Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska says those three schools along with Michigan, Wisconsin and Louisville are his current favorites.

"I'm looking at Minnesota hard right now but they aren't a clear-cut leader," Farrow said. "I'd like to get my grades in order first and hopefully things will fall into place so I can make a commitment before the start of my senior season.

"I don't want my recruitment to be a distraction to my teammates. I want to focus 100 percent of my energy on my senior season."

Farrow had 44 tackles and three interceptions in 2009. He also runs the 100 meters and anchors the 4x100 relay in track for Minnetonka.

Really? I feel like this class will be deeper than last year's class. A lot of players in this state are generating a lot of interest from area D1 schools and some from other conferences. I feel as though this state class has potential to shape up to be an overall decent one!

I think it looks like a pretty shallow class.

This looks to be one of the weeker classes of recent memory. When Westerhaus, Jackson or even possibly Cam Jones are battling for a top 5 spot it is a very week year. Minny kids are consistently late bloomers and a kid like Colville or Winfeldt could improve quite a bit over the next 9 months, but there are no quality skill players in this year's clas.

This looks to be one of the weeker classes of recent memory. When Westerhaus, Jackson or even possibly Cam Jones are battling for a top 5 spot it is a very week year. Minny kids are consistently late bloomers and a kid like Colville or Winfeldt could improve quite a bit over the next 9 months, but there are no quality skill players in this year's clas.

Didn't you hear? Westerhaus is going to get an offer from Notre Dame!

:rolleyes:

This is great news! Brewster is doing a really solid job with the MN guys. To those who say they don't care where a guy is from, from a strictly business standpoint it costs us a lot less effort and time to get a James Farrow from MN that it would take to get a James Farrow from Texas or Florida or California.

I would be happy to offer the top 5 in MN annually regardless of their quality, and to make judgments on 6-10. I hope Farrow is rated #2 for Brewster's sake so people would get off his case.

Brewster is doing a really solid job with the MN guys. To those who say they don't care where a guy is from, from a strictly business standpoint it costs us a lot less effort and time to get a James Farrow from MN that it would take to get a James Farrow from Texas or Florida or California.

That's all well and good, but you're looking solely at the expense side of the ledger. If you take players because they're Minnesotans, you're by definition going to have a poorer collection of talent than if you get the best players you can regardless of geography. Having a better team improves the income side of the ledger, thus enabling you to spend more on recruiting. Or, in some cases, the recruiting costs are subsidized as a necessary expense in order to field a legitimate team.

Schools like Notre Dame, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. recruit nationally because they know they can't stock a competitive roster with players from their own states. USC, Texas, Florida, etc. are afforded the luxury of signing the great majority of their players from within a few hours of campus because they can do that and still be in the national title hunt every year.

In terms of recruiting, Minnesota definitely falls in the scope of the former. If a player is worthy of a scholarship offer and is from Minnesota, all the better, if only because: a) Minnesota fans like our own; and, more importantly, b) signability is a factor, and players closer to Minneapolis are, generally speaking, more likely to want to play close to family and friends. If we want to be a legitimate Big Ten team, and we ever start offering players just because they're from Minnesota, we might as well pack it in.

Otherwise, again, where the player is from should have absolutely zero impact on whether or not they are tendered. If we want to win at the highest levels (a goal I think most Gopher fans would agree with), we must recruit nationally. If we want to field the best team full of Minnesotans possible, let's drop down to the MIAC, because that's the level where a team comprised of mostly/exclusively Minnesotans would be competitive.

I agree with you to a point. For the most part, you are going to have to pluck a few skilled playmakers (WR,RB,CB) from parts other than the Midwest every single year just compete speed wise with the rest of the country. However, I still think that if you recruit well in MN, IA, WI, and IL every year you can field a great team yearly. Our state and these three surrounding states churn out some highly rated players every year. We just have to do a better job at landing them.

I disagree with your Alabama example btw. They really don't recruit nationally at all. They recruit regionally. About 70% of there last three recruiting classes have been from AL, GA, MS, and TN. What they do is sprinkle in a few from SC and TX every year. So Alabama doesnt really venture too far from campus. They don't need to.

I disagree with your Alabama example btw. They really don't recruit nationally at all. They recruit regionally. About 70% of there last three recruiting classes have been from AL, GA, MS, and TN. What they do is sprinkle in a few from SC and TX every year. So Alabama doesnt really venture too far from campus. They don't need to.

It's not really germane to the discussion, but here are some hometowns of players Alabama has recently signed, and their distance from Tuscaloosa:

Southlake, TX (612)
Shallotte, NC (593)
The Woodlands, TX (643)
Galena Park, TX (609)
Hyattsville, MD (806)
Chesapeake, VA (767)

And that was just in 2010. They signed 9 Alabama players this year, and 17 from out-of-state.

For comparison's sake, these are the numbers of in- (and out-of-) state players USC, Texas, and Florida signed this year:

USC: 16, 4
Texas: 22, 3
Florida: 16, 12

Upon further review, Florida does recruit nationally a lot more than I thought they did. And their out-of-state numbers have been going up steadily in recent years.

And it's also important to note that Florida recruits nationally because it can, not because it has to. With the exception of a 2-star CT QB, every one of their out-of-state players this year was a 4- or 5-star.

Welcome aboard James, I look forward to seeing you in maroon & gold.

Anybody know how we are doing with other instate prospects?

The only player that has been offered and not committed is Peter Westerhaus a TE from Holy Family in Victoria. Minnesota is currently his only offer.

Not a deep class this year.

Didn't we offer that big OL from St. Cloud?
Your thinking of Ross Windfeldt. He has some big questions about him at this point he will have to earn an offer in camp.

so i see rivals posted something about Farrow getting his second offer. anyone know who its from?

so i see rivals posted something about Farrow getting his second offer. anyone know who its from?

Michigan. Which is awesome, because it validates Brewster's scholarship offer even more. Hopefully Farrow will keep his commitment. Considering how quickly he accepted the offer, and that his dad played here, I think he'll still be Golden.

Michigan. Which is awesome, because it validates Brewster's scholarship offer even more. Hopefully Farrow will keep his commitment. Considering how quickly he accepted the offer, and that his dad played here, I think he'll still be Golden.

Actually, I believe his offer is from a school in Michigan although Rivals does say Michigan.

Top Bottom