James Caan, Oscar-nominated actor of 'The Godfather,' 'Misery' and 'Elf,' dies at 82

BleedGopher

Reaction score
James Caan, the veteran screen actor known for his work in such films as "The Godfather," "Misery" and "Elf," has died, his family said in a statement on his verified Twitter account. He was 82.

"It is with great sadness that we inform you of the passing of Jimmy on the evening of July 6," the statement read. "The family appreciates the outpouring of love and heartfelt condolences and asks that you continue to respect their privacy during this difficult time."

They did not disclose a cause of death.

Caan first found fame playing Chicago Bears halfback Brian Piccolo in "Brian's Song," a widely seen 1971 TV movie. The tearjerking film chronicled Piccolo's real-life battle with terminal cancer and drew praise for its treatment of the interracial friendship between Piccolo and a Black teammate, Gale Sayers.

His next film, 1972's "The Godfather," made Caan a star. Although he was not Italian, Caan was cast as hotheaded Sonny Corleone, oldest of mobster Vito Corleone's three sons, who is memorably gunned down by rival gangsters at a tollbooth.

Go Gophers!!

as a sci-fi fan, have to point out that Caan starred in two genre films - "Rollerball" and "Alien Nation."

RIP, what a career. So many great intense dramatic bits but he was more than capable in comedy. Even his appearance on News Radio was great.

I guess I will finally get around to watching Thief. By all accounts he is absolutely amazing in it.

RIP, what a career. So many great intense dramatic bits but he was more than capable in comedy. Even his appearance on News Radio was great.

I guess I will finally get around to watching Thief. By all accounts he is absolutely amazing in it.

Thief is a good flick - Txs for the reminder - time for me to revisit

Top Bottom