Jamal Mashburn Jr: I don't plan on staying and I'm just looking for the right situation for me.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per London:

“I just wanted to open up my options after coach got fired and everything,” he said. “I don't plan on staying and I'm just looking for the right situation for me. Somewhere where I'll be able to show my full skill set, be able to play with freedom, and have a chance to go to the next level.”

“I'm looking for a leadership role where I can lead my team on both sides of the floor and be able to be out there and show my complete game.”

Go Gophers!!

No mention of winning. Just making it to the next level for himself. OK. I get it, but maybe it is for the best. He's a talented kid and I hope for the best for him.

"be able to play with freedom". This can mean different things, I'm sure, but it just doesn't sound like what I would want to hear from a player. It screams selfish to me (I stress, to me). Winning college teams have players that certainly have the ability to play with freedom, but don't because they play within a system. Carr played with freedom, but he did so because he had no system. ISO ball is not a system in my opinion. I'd rather have a team guy who strives to get his own when needed, but will make those around him better. Mashburn never seemed like that guy to me. My two cents.

per London:

“I just wanted to open up my options after coach got fired and everything,” he said. “I don't plan on staying and I'm just looking for the right situation for me. Somewhere where I'll be able to show my full skill set, be able to play with freedom, and have a chance to go to the next level.”

“I'm looking for a leadership role where I can lead my team on both sides of the floor and be able to be out there and show my complete game.”

Go Gophers!!
...Iona...

Wants to play with freedom? I didn't see him shying away from taking lots of shots early and often. And considering what we've got at PG....I don't think there would have been many things that would keep him from doing the same next year.

New Mexico? Pitino's replacement for Carr. He should be able to play with freedom with Pitino.
Perhaps, but I'm not so certain. Not sure how his dad really feels about Pitino. However he could probably start there.

I try not to read too much into what kids say. Just because he says he doesn't plan on staying doesn't mean he won't. Personally I think it's more likely he doesn't but the door isn't shut.

Wants to play with freedom? I didn't see him shying away from taking lots of shots early and often. And considering what we've got at PG....I don't think there would have been many things that would keep him from doing the same next year.
I was going to say, he played with quite a bit of freedom this year and had every opportunity to prove himself on both ends. Seems like a comment for comments sake type of statement. He may not even know what he actually wants yet.

per London:

Go Gophers!!
It certainly will be a new thing if he starts showing leadership on the defensive side of the floor, he was dominated all year. His offensive efficiency was not that good either, most of the time, it took a lot of shots to get his points. Too small for SG and not enough of a distributor for point in my opinion.

Funny how negative folks get on a player when we says he’s leaving. Dude was solid and will be missed. So much potential. No surprise. He’s a Pitino guy. He’d probably never heard of Johnson until last week. This Happens with coaching changes. Excited to see who Johnson lures here.

Funny how negative folks get on a player when we says he’s leaving. Dude was solid and will be missed. So much potential. No surprise. He’s a Pitino guy. He’d probably never heard of Johnson until last week. This Happens with coaching changes. Excited to see who Johnson lures here.
Fans want it both ways. Rip a guy for leaving but open arms to transfers in (even those who denied us previously).

This interview is the example of the type of ball I hope we no longer play.

I didn't get the excitement about him.
I'm in the minority I suppose.

Mashburn was a good player, we should wish him well. By all accounts he was a high character guy and never shied away from anything he was asked to do. Do not try to read too much in between the lines of what he said. Any unfounded criticism of him reflect more on the poster than it does on him.

Showed a great deal of promise. Hope he picks a great coaching staff to play for.

So who we gonna poach from Xavier?

Why would you want to play for a dumpster fire? You could go a couple of states below and get paid.

I guess CSOM isn't such a big draw after all......

In Mashburn's defense, it's going to be difficult to find a system that gives the point guard more freedom than Pitino's dribble as much as you want and shoot pg sets.

Evidently, this was a big selling point for Pitino to get solid point guards. Get a solid PG who can shoot and have them carry the team. Let them run the game.

Evidently, this was a big selling point for Pitino to get solid point guards. Get a solid PG who can shoot and have them carry the team. Let them run the game.

Yeah, it'll get you point guards who can score. I'm not sure it will get you really good point guards. It also put such a premium on having a ball dominant point guard, it forced us to use one of our better players over the last decade out of position (and at a position that IMO hurt his draft stock).

IMO it's a bad system for the team and even the players.

Top Bottom