Jalen Suggs

#2Gopher

Reaction score
I see that the Mpls paper indicated that celebrities were in attendance and that Jalen Suggs was one of them. Was he on the field or in the stands. I'm hoping that he was in the stands and not on the field. He doesn't have the right to be on the field in my opinion as he clearly made it known that he was going elsewhere to play basketball and he did.

I see that the Mpls paper indicated that celebrities were in attendance and that Jalen Suggs was one of them. Was he on the field or in the stands. I'm hoping that he was in the stands and not on the field. He doesn't have the right to be on the field in my opinion as he clearly made it known that he was going elsewhere to play basketball and he did.
Stands on the 45 with Bateman and Gable

I don't fault anyone for not wanting to be a part of our basketball program. Would he have been a top pick in the draft if he came here instead? Or would he have just squeezed into the first round?

I don't fault anyone for not wanting to be a part of our basketball program. Would he have been a top pick in the draft if he came here instead? Or would he have just squeezed into the first round?
Probably a lottery pick but maybe not top 5

If Suggs plays for Minnesota last year it might be a sweet 16 team.
All of a sudden carr is your second best player. Liam is third. Have an extra serviceable bench guy.

Fleck is big on "relationships", and burning bridges doesn't seem to be his thing. So not surprised he'd let Suggs on the field.

But I'm a fan, and can be somewhat petty. I don't fault Suggs for going wherever he wants. But getting preferential treatment from a team he snubbed? Fuck him.

Fleck is big on "relationships", and burning bridges doesn't seem to be his thing. So not surprised he'd let Suggs on the field.

But I'm a fan, and can be somewhat petty. I don't fault Suggs for going wherever he wants. But getting preferential treatment from a team he snubbed? Fuck him.
If he is out of the nba in two years for a random reason he can still play QB for a year in the 5 years to play 4 seasons theory

Suggs got beat in HS by a bunch of guys from Cold Spring, that are not playing college football. Heck of a BB player.

In my opinion this was a stab at the basketball program in general as well. I wonder if they were upset like I am about Suggs getting preferential treatment as opposed to any current basketball players with the Gophers? Was coach Johnson on the field or did he get snub as well?

To me it makes no sense. Yet I get it that Fleck doesn't like to burn bridges, but Fleck cross the line on this one in my opinion. Until someone can convince me otherwise that this was a good move to honor someone in a sense who went elsewhere for college, I'm against this sort of thing. After all it was only two years ago that he did this.

In my opinion this was a stab at the basketball program in general as well. I wonder if they were upset like I am about Suggs getting preferential treatment as opposed to any current basketball players with the Gophers? Was coach Johnson on the field or did he get snub as well?

To me it makes no sense. Yet I get it that Fleck doesn't like to burn bridges, but Fleck cross the line on this one in my opinion. Until someone can convince me otherwise that this was a good move to honor someone in a sense who went elsewhere for college, I'm against this sort of thing. After all it was only two years ago that he did this.
Oh my goodness.

This is really something.

If I recall correctly -- didn't Suggs more or less tell the media something to the effect that if he had decided to play football instead of basketball, that he would have played for Fleck? He was a star QB recruit as well.

I'm sure he had a great relationship with Fleck, and kudos to Fleck for maintaining those relationships. You just never know when they might come in handy.

Agree with whomever said there's no good reason to burn a bridge.

I dunno, the guy picked number one went to Okie State. Gophers beat the snot out of them two years ago.

Suggs got beat in HS by a bunch of guys from Cold Spring, that are not playing college football. Heck of a BB player.
The cold spring QB could’ve played college football if he wanted to. He is playing baseball at Nebraska if I’m not mistake.

Notice he has a recruit tag on? His daughter is a big time basketball player (only a 8th grader i think) that was there on a unofficial visit.
I heard him for a brief moment on the radio as I was commuting to an appointment today. He actually spoke well of Minnesota. I forgot exactly what he said, but he didn't rip on us. Or even give a subtle dig IIRXC.

My first reaction to seeing him on the sidelines was “who in the hell do you think you are to sit sideline for the hometown school you shunned?”

But, hey. It probably doesn’t hurt recruiting or the U’s perception to have NBA stars hanging out and cheering for the Gophers. And if guys like Suggs develop relationships with people at the U (especially Ben Johnson), maybe he helps steer a few kids home.

I think we're forgetting that Suggs has a good relationship and spoke highly of PJ when he was recruiting him to play football, and he likely would have played here had he chosen football.

I saw him on the side lines during pregame warm ups last night and how all the students were cheering him on, thought he looked familiar but couldn’t put his name and face together! 😆 I thought that he was a famous recruit visiting. Didn’t learn who he was until today when I saw that photo with all of them together on Twitter.

Then I saw Rashod and Gable, knew who they were so I asked them to pose a photo with my son.

That’s was cool. Gable was extremely courteous, welcoming, and respectful.

Rashod was cool too but more on the cocky unapproachable demeanor.

Would have torn his ACL in fall practices if he came here.

There was also a Hawkeye hanging around 😱

It's crazy how small the Heavyweight Champion of the World looks in this photo.

Maybe it's an illusion because Greenway and Suggs are closer to the camera

Fleck likes the young man. I think it is great.

Would he have been a top pick in the draft if he came here instead? Or would he have just squeezed into the first round?
I dunno... not gonna lie, it was especially sweet to watch him cry when he didn't win a championship, though. With any luck, I'll see some tears rolling down Chet's face in March.

EDIT: Paige Buckets didn't cry, but it was nice to see her walk away angry, at least.

I'm sure he had a great relationship with Fleck, and kudos to Fleck for maintaining those relationships. You just never know when they might come in handy.
It's the one reason I'm not complaining about his inclusion...

Good. When it comes to attracting, choose honey over vinegar.
Yea, I think it is petty stuff. If BJ and his players want to be on the sidelines, I am sure they are welcome. Lindsay Whalen was there. PJ Fleck is doing PR. He is already working on the next Minnehaha Academy recruits for the Gophers.

He would have still been a top pick. NBA scouts don't care where a player comes from. Talent is talent.

It's crazy how small the Heavyweight Champion of the World looks in this photo.

Maybe it's an illusion because Greenway and Suggs are closer to the camera
At least Suggs picked the right tshirt. 😁

Top Bottom