Jalen Myrick

gophergrad

Reaction score
Here are the tweets about him today. Might be the next Gopher commit.

@MVofDT: FWIW, this Myrick kid was the Georgia Class 4A State runner up at 10.69s in the 100m.

@GEricksonScout: Jalen Myrick says there is a "good chance" that he will commit to the #Gophers because he wants to play in the B1G

@GEricksonScout: #Gophers are recruiting Jalen Myrick as a CB

@GEricksonScout: WR Jalen Myrick has just picked up an offer from the #Gophers

Highlights from hudl

Let the 40 time and "he doesn't have any other offers" discussions begin!!!

He does have offers from Colorado State and Middle TN State. Kill will coach him up if we get him.

“The Minnesota coaches said they looked at my highlights and were impressed,” Myrick said. “I was told to call coach (Jerry) Kill today and he offered me a scholarship.”

Myrick said he would rank Minnesota at the top of his list right now because it plays in the toughest conference of the schools that have offered – competing in the Big Ten. But he is also receiving interest from teams such as Georgia Tech and Louisville, where his former teammate DeAngelo Brown will start this fall.

“I would like to make a commitment early and get it out of the way, maybe in the middle of the season,” Myrick said. “I know I’m going to be getting the ball a lot more this season and I’m looking forward to it.”

http://savannahnow.com/share/blog-p...ians-myrick-gets-offer-minnesota#.T9FsiNW7dyx

Go Gophers!!

So do you take him over Kierre Rhodes?

Myrick said he would rank Minnesota at the top of his list right now because it plays in the toughest conference of the schools that have offered – competing in the Big Ten.

Just love that attitude.

And to mkAz, that is a great question. Thankfully I don't have to make that decision.

I should have said "discuss that he doesnt have enough offers" in the OP.

I think it's interesting between him and Rhodes. I saw another tweet about Rhodes camping at the U next week, so Kill will have a good look at him. If we got Rucker too we'd be bringing in a larger class of DB's than I would have thought.

On the basis of film, they seem to be very similar players, with Myrick being a little bigger and Rhodes being more aggressive. If it comes down to making a choice between accepting the commit of one or the other, this is one of the extremely rare circumstances where I would use location as a tiebreaker*, given that they seem to be almost in a dead heat and I think the local boy will be more likely to stay 4-5 years, have a greater sense of hometown pride, and will bring more family/friends as loyal and game-attending fans into the Gopher family.

*To be used only when players seem to be virtual ties in the more important things (ability, height, weight, playing style, position, etc.) and used as a tiebreaker way down the list of attributes.

IMO, we are short CBs (lots of safeties though) so I would think we are taking two (Brookins is likely not a CB as the camp he was MVP at had him at both safety and LB).

If they only want one more CB for this class, I'd bring in Myrick with this class and see if Rhodes would greyshirt and come in a semester late like they are doing with Lauer this year. Our 2014 class is bigger and it seems to be a lot easier greyshirting hometown kids.

Lauer is not greyshirting...

Very interesting offer, a lot to speculate off of it related to Rucker and Rhodes

If they only want one more CB for this class, I'd bring in Myrick with this class and see if Rhodes would greyshirt and come in a semester late like they are doing with Lauer this year. Our 2014 class is bigger and it seems to be a lot easier greyshirting hometown kids.

doubt Rhodes would take a grayshirt at the u

heard eastern illinois is close to offering him

An offer from an FCS is hardly a great deterrent from accepting a grayshirt offer from a BCS school. It's not the same thing as a walk-on.

Grey-shirting is much different than being a PWO. You are guaranteed a scholarship. I believe you enroll with everyone on campus in the fall, but don't participate in football practices until the winter/2nd semester. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Grey-shirting is much different than being a PWO. You are guaranteed a scholarship. I believe you enroll with everyone on campus in the fall, but don't participate in football practices until the winter/2nd semester. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

that would be incorrect, royal...

if you enroll with everyone else in the fall, then your 5-year clock begins ticking, thereby nullifying a grayshirt season...

Grey shirts usually enroll in January and not the fall. A grey shirt in the 2013 signing class would enroll January 2014 under full scholarship which is counted against the 2014 class scholarship numbers. They get to participate in Spring ball and are true frosh in 14 and could still redshirt giving them essentially an extra half year to grow and get bigger before seeing the field

Grey shirts usually enroll in January and not the fall. A grey shirt in the 2013 signing class would enroll January 2014 under full scholarship which is counted against the 2014 class scholarship numbers. They get to participate in Spring ball and are true frosh in 14 and could still redshirt giving them essentially an extra half year to grow and get bigger before seeing the field

Okay, thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom