Jake Keefer

Ski-U-Mah24

Reaction score
Can anybody elaborate on the status of this talented young man? According to GopherIllustrated, he may be closing in a decision soon. Anyone with inside info on this care to share? He is from western wisconsin and would be great to reel in for next year's class!

According to GV in this thread Keefer is supposed to commit to Wisconsin (sucks) soon. but who knows maybe Keefer is just pulling a reverse Konrad Z to get the gophers interested. In another thread from this week keefer had this to say when the gophers offered him.

Minnesota just offered,” Keefer said Wednesday evening. “I'm excited to see what Minnesota has to offer. I'm extremely thankful for the opportunity I have been given.”

According to GV in this thread Keefer is supposed to commit to Wisconsin (sucks) soon.

That might have been true at one point, and maybe it still is, but it sounds like interest in Jake Keefer has mushroomed since he was named to the Rivals 250 watch list (or whatever it’s called) and he may now wait a bit to see what other offers materialize and evaluate his options.

I have met the Keefer family on a couple of occasions through a mutual friend. They seem like great people. I have never seen him play and don’t have any “inside” information, so take this for what it’s worth. Dad is his high school coach and seems to place a lot of importance on the coaching ability of the staff where the son plays. My guess is that he thinks that Minnesota trails Wisconsin in that area by a significant margin. I think Dad was surprised and disappointed that Minnesota didn’t get interested much sooner. Mom really wants him to stay close to home so they can attend his games. Travel is an issue, especially with Dad coaching on Friday nights. Obviously, Minneapolis is more convenient than Madison, but Madison is also easily reachable from Baldwin. My take is that Wisconsin is the clear leader and Minnesota may have gotten interested too late to change that. Mom may encourage the son to look hard at Minnesota, but I think that, in the end, they will pick the best overall college and college football experience for Jake. Up to Brew and staff to convince them that's Minnesota. I’d be surprised if he opts for someplace like IU or Washington State, but if he gets an offer from one of the big boys, like Notre Dame, he may not be able to pass it up even though it's farther away from home.

I'll add a couple more intangibles....his girlfriend (since he was a freshman), who graduates B-W this year, has been accepted and is enrolling at the U of M next year. Also, his grandparents live in Middleton, WI (suburb of Madison).

That might have been true at one point, and maybe it still is, but it sounds like interest in Jake Keefer has mushroomed since he was named to the Rivals 250 watch list (or whatever it’s called) and he may now wait a bit to see what other offers materialize and evaluate his options.

I have met the Keefer family on a couple of occasions through a mutual friend. They seem like great people. I have never seen him play and don’t have any “inside” information, so take this for what it’s worth. Dad is his high school coach and seems to place a lot of importance on the coaching ability of the staff where the son plays. My guess is that he thinks that Minnesota trails Wisconsin in that area by a significant margin. I think Dad was surprised and disappointed that Minnesota didn’t get interested much sooner. Mom really wants him to stay close to home so they can attend his games. Travel is an issue, especially with Dad coaching on Friday nights. Obviously, Minneapolis is more convenient than Madison, but Madison is also easily reachable from Baldwin. My take is that Wisconsin is the clear leader and Minnesota may have gotten interested too late to change that. Mom may encourage the son to look hard at Minnesota, but I think that, in the end, they will pick the best overall college and college football experience for Jake. Up to Brew and staff to convince them that's Minnesota. I’d be surprised if he opts for someplace like IU or Washington State, but if he gets an offer from one of the big boys, like Notre Dame, he may not be able to pass it up even though it's farther away from home.

Is his dad deaf, dumb and blind? Or is he aware that that B.J. Bulimic is the head coach at Wisconsin?

Is his dad deaf, dumb and blind? Or is he aware that that B.J. Bulimic is the head coach at Wisconsin?

The common perception is that MN coaches lack a bit in the coaching department but make that up in the recruiting department. Sounds like Hightower was not a very good WR coach last year. I can't really make an educated statement about the coaching abilities of MN vs. WI but that is where I feel public sentiment stands.

That said, I think we have seen solid growth out of our linebackers (Campbell, Triplett, Lawrence, Cooper, Tinsley) since Brewster has been here in addition to the defensive line (Brown, Small, Edwards); both are positions Keefer could end up at.

Keefer has said recently that Wisconsin is his clear leader, however he's getting some heavy interest from schools like USC, UCLA, and LSU. It will be interesting to see what plays out, especially if one of those three offer soon.

Keefer has said recently that Wisconsin is his clear leader, however he's getting some heavy interest from schools like USC, UCLA, and LSU. It will be interesting to see what plays out, especially if one of those three offer soon.

Add Stanford to that list. He hears from LSU and Stanford almost daily.

Where do you feel he will land when this is all said and done StCroix? I really hope he crosses the river and heads over the the gophers! He looks like a very solid prospect from close by.

If he can get a free ride from Stanford and handle the school work he should take it. Great school, obviously, and he should be able to get some NFL QB training if he wants to go that route. ;)

If he can get a free ride from Stanford and handle the school work he should take it. Great school, obviously, and he should be able to get some NFL QB training if he wants to go that route. ;)

I don't get it.

I don't get it.

Harbaugh was an NFL QB from 1987-2001 and is currently coaching one the best up and coming NFL QB prospects in the nation in Andrew Luck. However, I too fail to see the connection though cuz isn't Keefer a LB prospect?

Harbaugh was an NFL QB from 1987-2001 and is currently coaching one the best up and coming NFL QB prospects in the nation in Andrew Luck. However, I too fail to see the connection though cuz isn't Keefer a LB prospect?

I know Harbaugh's background. We seem stuck for the same reason.

Stanford is a great school and he should go if he get's the chance. I meant that part. The fact that he's a LB prospect and Harbaugh was an NFL QB that was tongue in cheek. I thought I indicated that by the winking simile ;) after the post.

I tried to be subtle, but maybe instead it came off as obtuse.

I have a better shot at shacking up with Jessica Alba than the U has at landing Keefster

I have a better shot at shacking up with Jessica Alba than the U has at landing Keefster
Why do you say that? Why is it so unreasonable to believe that Keefer lands at Minnesota?

Why do you say that? Why is it so unreasonable to believe that Keefer lands at Minnesota?

He is from Wisconsin. About 95% of the instate players the Badgers have offered over the last 18years have gone to Wisconsin.

He has said Wisconsin is his leader and he has been a Badgers fan all his life.

Other then that, I can't think of a reason he wouldn't end up at Minnesota.

He is from Wisconsin. About 95% of the instate players the Badgers have offered over the last 18years have gone to Wisconsin.
How many of that 95% came from western Wisconsin though?

How many of that 95% came from western Wisconsin though?

The biggest thing is, as recently as a couple of weeks ago, he said UW was his clear favorite, and he expected to commit sometime in the near future.

He certainly may have changed his mind since those interviews, but I'd be quite surprised if he didn't choose UW in the coming weeks.

Top Bottom