Jacob Simpson Commits to Gophers!

He could be the next HOF tight end! Our gain their loss. Just curious what the knock is?

Highlights look good, nice frame, good hands, willing blocker. Offers from Illinois, Duke, Cincinnati, Louisville, Missouri, Texas Tech, Memphis, Vanderbilt. Welcome aboard.

Looks like he picked the previous style of uniform for the promo pics.

He could be the next HOF tight end! Our gain their loss. Just curious what the knock is?
Perhaps the Iowa schools aren't recruiting TEs and he doesn't want to change positions. PJ wants to give him a chance there so he jumped at it.
Whatever the reason, I'm not too concerned.

I dunno we offered two Iowa tight ends that neither Iowa nor ISU offered. Another Iowa tight end that we didn’t offer committed to ISU. Iowa hasn’t offered any instate tight ends and does not have a tight end committed. Iowa did offer the Illinois tight end that we got.

My guess would be given his height they may have wanted him to potential move to OL and an offer may be contingent upon that
I don't think that's it...he's listed at 6'5". Same height as Travis Kelce and TJ Hokenson.
Simpson is our third highest rated recruit. I was more coming from the question of why a highly rated guy wouldn't have home state interest? Or more Big Ten interest?
I also realize that our third highest rated guy is pretty low nationally and the others are recruiting people above him...but still? If he was from Minnesota...we'd all be wondering why he didn't get an offer from us. I assume somebody in Iowa wondered and knows the answer.

Well, Jacob lives in Iowa. Iowa and Iowa St did not offer him a scholarship. Illinois is his only other Big Ten offer. What's up?

247 Team Rankings
There is not enough meat on the bone at 6' 5", 210 pounds compared to Ko Keith, as an incoming Freshman. He was 6' 4", 250 pounds.

There is not enough meat on the bone at 6' 5", 210 pounds compared to Ko Keith, as an incoming Freshman. He was 6' 4", 250 pounds.
Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 4.09.37 PM.png
Good point! Didn't realize he weighed 210. He may be a wide receiver? The tight ends on our roster now weigh 35 to 60 pounds more. That is a lot!
New offensive coordinators looking to pass more...target lighter pass catching tight end. Is it real?

View attachment 25648
Good point! Didn't realize he weighed 210. He may be a wide receiver? The tight ends on our roster now weigh 35 to 60 pounds more. That is a lot!
New offensive coordinators looking to pass more...target lighter pass catching tight end. Is it real?
I suspect that he'll get up to 230 or so for his final HS season but it'll take a couple of years in the weight program to get big enough for the Big Ten. I willing to bet neither Iowa school wanted to wait and develop him.

Kieft was 225 lbs in high school according to Rivals.

View attachment 25648
Not a chance he is a WR. BSF has put on like 40 pounds since he got to college and this guy has a frame to easily add on weight. The Gopher strength coaches and the team nutritionist will have him putting on lbs in no time

View attachment 25648
On our roster is the key phrase. All these guys were probably much lighter as juniors in high school.

Definitely on the lighter side for a TE *at this moment* but will likely grow a lot this final year of HS. 6’5” / 250lb is very realistic and exciting if he can keep his movement abilities

View attachment 25648
Based on his films, he has the speed and agility to be used differently. He may be a position switch.

Are the Gophers signaling a slight tweak to their offensive philosophy?

Not a chance he is a WR. BSF has put on like 40 pounds since he got to college and this guy has a frame to easily add on weight. The Gopher strength coaches and the team nutritionist will have him putting on lbs in no time
TEs don't grow on trees. Sometimes, you have to develop them. Developmental players in the Gophers program end up being great contributors. That is if they are mature and patient with hard work.

Top Bottom