Jacob Knuth commits to Kansas State

Not surprising, Kansas St came in on Knuth late right before he signed with the Gophers.

It makes sense. He will be buried behind a QB who is a SR next season rather than a SO next season. He will obviously have competition from some of the younger recruits (like he would anywhere) but if he emerges from that group, his path to starting is much shorter at KState. If it doesn't work out, he can always transfer down to USD or South Dakota State in a year or so.

It's a good landing spot for him.

It makes sense. He will be buried behind a QB who is a SR next season rather than a SO next season. He will obviously have competition from some of the younger recruits (like he would anywhere) but if he emerges from that group, his path to starting is much shorter at KState. If it doesn't work out, he can always transfer down to USD or South Dakota State in a year or so.

It’s a good landing spot but apparently he’s paying his own way. I think it makes more sense to start at USD and try to transfer up than to walk on at ksu and then head down if it doesn’t work out.

Things must have went south with the Gophers to move on and loose a scholarship for a walk on spot.

It’s a good landing spot but apparently he’s paying his own way. I think it makes more sense to start at USD and try to transfer up than to walk on at ksu and then head down if it doesn’t work out.
Wait he’s walking on? Crazy.

Things must have went south with the Gophers to move on and loose a scholarship for a walk on spot.
247 says "insider reports from the Gophers spring campaign noted early enrollee Drew Viotto challenging Knuth and, according to some, having a sharper look in the pocket."

The walk on angle is interesting. Could be kind of like the Annexstad situation was here where he was a walk on in name only and was basically assured of being on scholarship pretty quickly.

Hope it works out for him.

Walk on makes more sense. Odd move if there is a lot of competition there
247 makes it sound like he had a strong connection with the coach and has still maintained it. Betting on himself to be able to win the job, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Assume he figures that if it doesn't he can drop down to one of the Dakota schools at the FCS level without having to sit out.

And if he is on track credit wise he could be a grad transfer in 2-3 years to anywhere

Shocking he would go to place where he'd have to walk on. You know what's better than a slightly higher chance of playing meaningful snaps in a football game? Getting out of school debt free. But maybe that's just the dad in me talking.

Shocking he would go to place where he'd have to walk on. You know what's better than a slightly higher chance of playing meaningful snaps in a football game? Getting out of school debt free. But maybe that's just the dad in me talking.
Will likely be one year max. NIL, parents may have some extra cash with no state income tax I believe. Who knows.

Wouldn't walking on at Kansas St a couple months after entering the portal suggest he had limited to no other offers?

No but you can still grad transfer to my knowledge
I know if you start as a walk-on like Charlie Jones did at Buffalo you don’t burn your free transfer going on scholarship at a new school, but maybe doesn’t work the other way around.

I know if you start as a walk-on like Charlie Jones did at Buffalo you don’t burn your free transfer going on scholarship at a new school, but maybe doesn’t work the other way around.
There are two different rules.
Any player can transfer once with no wait time.

Another way to transfer with no wait time is to be a grad transfer.

Wouldn't walking on at Kansas St a couple months after entering the portal suggest he had limited to no other offers?

Not necessarily, he could have had other offers from lower FBS schools or places farther from home.

As others have mentioned he had a good relationship with the staff and visited there late before signing with the Gophers. It's also only a little over an hour farther from home than Minneapolis was.

With the number of QBs in the portal I would think his options to stay at the power 5 level would have been non-existent outside of going the walk on route the way he did. Power 5 teams are pretty unlikely to gamble on a guy who has never seen the field when there are far more proven options available.

Had he been willing to drop down in class to either lower level FBS or even FCS I am sure he would have had plenty of options.

Maybe NIL will cover it? Kansas may have reduced tuition rates for SD residents?

Family might be willing to cover Summer and Fall semester for him, then on full scholarship for Spring.

I don't think it does.

I think the rule is simply that he is eligible to play for K-State this fall, that is the right he has per the rule, but if he doesn't take advantage of that, that's his problem. It's used up either way

He could have had options… or didn’t shop around much… lots of possibilities.

At most, I think this only says something about his chances here.

Around 2012 or so the Gophers took a transfer kicker from NC State. He was a walk-on at NC State and got a scholarship at Minnesota, so he didn’t have to sit out. Maybe transferring to K State uses up his free transfer, but he gets another one if he leaves his walk on spot for a scholarship elsewhere.

Around 2012 or so the Gophers took a transfer kicker from NC State. He was a walk-on at NC State and got a scholarship at Minnesota, so he didn’t have to sit out. Maybe transferring to K State uses up his free transfer, but he gets another one if he leaves his walk on spot for a scholarship elsewhere.
It used to be if you are not on scholarship you can transfer anytime you’d like. I’m not sure if the rules are different now for PWOs because they can get training and food benefits a normal walk on doesn’t.

It used to be if you are not on scholarship you can transfer anytime you’d like. I’m not sure if the rules are different now for PWOs because they can get training and food benefits a normal walk on doesn’t.
And you can still get NIL.

So yeah, I don’t have much sympathy for any guy invited to a P5 fall camp, which I believe is still limited to 105 total?

Top Bottom