Jack Wilson commits

All that is good.

With Battle leaving, I have a slightly different take than others. First, let's assume you can't have it all. You can have this or you can have that. Tradeoffs.

In exchange for Ohio State luring Battle, Minnesota brought in Hawkins and Mitchell. Good.

Everyone was moaning last season that guards was a disaster. Battle was at a glut position.

CBJ got it done. Yet now people are moaning they need more depth at guard.

#10 PG in the nation is coming in.

plus current players like Christie a year older.

it is true they have not won a big game, no tournament.

Looks like a start up rising up.

Good post. I agree with all of that except much is dependent upon the starters returning for next season.

My point exactly. The argument is hire "stud" coach (which is apparently not possible) or Ben Johnson. Therefore Ben Johnson was best choice. This same argument has been stated before by others, not just one crazy poster. It's not a great argument, we agree on that. Not sure why you are upset with me. Also, moniker prior to September 2023?

OK, we agree on that central point. As far as my moniker prior to September 2023, no, not at this time. I like my new screen name; it comes from a favored song and documentary. However, it definitely was not "Rockraven." That was one of weasel Howe's lies. What particularly pissed me off (among other things) is that he had no basis for spreading that lie (we don't write the same way or have the same temperament at all) but he did it anyway.

All that is good.

With Battle leaving, I have a slightly different take than others. First, let's assume you can't have it all. You can have this or you can have that. Tradeoffs.

In exchange for Ohio State luring Battle, Minnesota brought in Hawkins and Mitchell. Good.

Everyone was moaning last season that guards was a disaster. Battle was at a glut position.

CBJ got it done. Yet now people are moaning they need more depth at guard.

#10 PG in the nation is coming in.

plus current players like Christie a year older.

it is true they have not won a big game, no tournament.

Looks like a start up rising up.

I agree. He did a much better job at roster construction this year and it helped us a ton. Maybe even bigger than the roster construction, he refused to play guys a ton of minutes out of position this year, they killed us last year. I would have liked another guard or two last year, but I agree his construction was much improved.

As for the coming year, I'd love to Asuma and at least 1 more guard (ideally two more guards).

I agree. He did a much better job at roster construction this year and it helped us a ton. Maybe even bigger than the roster construction, he refused to play guys a ton of minutes out of position this year, they killed us last year. I would have liked another guard or two last year, but I agree his construction was much improved.

As for the coming year, I'd love to Asuma and at least 1 more guard (ideally two more guards).
Assuming everyone who is playing stays, the biggest need in the portal next year is a couple of big post player with at minimum two years of eligibility. They will need to learn the system next year and be ready to step in when Garcia and Fox are gone.

Another guard would be a low priority if all four return plus Asuma.

You've completely lost it.

A. Where did I campaign for Ben to be fired? I was mocking the idiotic takes on this site but I 100% think Ben has earned a 4th season.

B. No one was campaigning for Clem to be hired in year 3, he went to the Sweet 16. That idiotic argument of yours (comparing Ben to Clem) ended in Year 3.

C. Crittenden was a walk on and I realize all coaches have misses. Most coaches don't choose players they absolutely know (or should know) are misses.

D. We only play 6-7 guys, he clearly has WAY more misses than ole Clem.
I think you guys are the ones who have lost it. Like here...worried so much about Jack Wilson.

A. Ok, you're not technically campaigning for Ben to be fired. You simply mock & ridicule him and anyone with a positive outlook (about EVERYTHING...even stuff like Jack Wilson) and have him on the hot-seat.

B. In Year 3, Clem's first recruits were juniors. In Ben's Year 3, his first recruits are only sophomores.

C. I only used Crittenden as an example because everyone remembers him. But Clem had many bench-warmers. How often are the 10th & 11th guys played much on any team?

D. Fox, JOJ, Carrington, & Ihnen are our bench players 6 to 9...all eligible to return next year. Asuma too. And Ben has shown he can add good transfers.

Last edited:

I just hope Gopher players play well.
I do too. But I also analyze the situation realistically.

Like surprisingly early NBA entries are out of his control. Musselman might be able to overcome that. But no mid-major coach or Medved would do any better.

He always fails to mention Clem's credentials prior to taking the Gopher job. He was already very accomplished in the world of basketball and proven he can win leading a smaller school. Apples to oranges comparing to Ben.
Which is exactly why we shouldn't bash Ben for his first 2 years. It was a ground-up rebuild after inheriting NOTHING.

We're in position to be very good next year. But unless we bring in a Musselman or better...there's no guarantees. Even Clem would have had difficulty if Burton & Newbern or Coffey left early.

They need a 6’8” forward who can shoot like Battle, but who can rebound and play defense.

Top Bottom