Jack Robinson commits to Wisconsin

Would mean we're all in on Knueppel and Asuma. First one to commit.
Isaac Asuma plays the position of the greatest need so I have to presume he is the top priority if Freitag is, indeed, no longer being pursued fully. Possible future pipeline at Cherry if brother and cousin develop. I have to also presume that Johnson also has some other prospects in his sights.

The BADgers didn’t throw $$$ around to find the flavor of the day. They found coaches in Dick and Bo with local ties who knew how to win and how to recruit to their system. The system placed an emphasis on recruiting to fit the system vs chasing 4 and 5 star players who only aspired to getting to the next level.

They knew that it was harder to compete for these rarer recruits and focused instead on lower rated players who fit. Because there are more 3 star players available, they could choose to be very selective and ENSURE fit. While not always the most exciting bball, I must acknowledge that it has been highly successful.
Sam Dekker, Johnny Davis, Devin Harris. Badgers recruit defenders and players that willing to play together - no 'me' before 'we' players. They do chase the 4-5 stars, but they must conform to their style of play. Herro committed to Wisconsin initially, but wanted to be one and done. WI has no patience for losing. Heck the new AD just fired their Head FB coach. and he won alot in the BIG10.

Sam Dekker, Johnny Davis, Devin Harris. Badgers recruit defenders and players that willing to play together - no 'me' before 'we' players. They do chase the 4-5 stars, but they must conform to their style of play. Herro committed to Wisconsin initially, but wanted to be one and done. WI has no patience for losing. Heck the new AD just fired their Head FB coach. and he won alot in the BIG10.
Umm it wasn't WI that told herro to move on, but nice spin

Isaac Asuma plays the position of the greatest need so I have to presume he is the top priority if Freitag is, indeed, no longer being pursued fully. Possible future pipeline at Cherry if brother and cousin develop. I have to also presume that Johnson also has some other prospects in his sights.
Asuma would definitely make sense as the main guy if the Freitag news is true, but I can't see Ben passing on Kneuppel's talent, honestly if they both want to commit I'm sure we'd find a way and bring in 2.

Asuma would definitely make sense as the main guy if the Freitag news is true, but I can't see Ben passing on Kneuppel's talent, honestly if they both want to commit I'm sure we'd find a way and bring in 2.
Haven’t heard anything on this site on Kneuppel. (Maybe I missed it.) Did see that he has an offer from the Gophers. Lot of schools seem to be on him.

OK Gopher fans...here is my take on the Minnesotans-to-Wisconsin situation...I agree that the Minnesotans that have committed to and played with the Badgers recently have not been 'program changers'. In the last 10 years we have not lost one of those (to WI). That said, there are a number of players that have left the state (for WI) that would have helped OUR Gophers. For example:

2022: We have a deficiency at PF and C. Wahl and Crowl would make us better.
2021: We had nothing. Wahl, Crowl, Carlson, and Davison all would have helped.
2020: We had a deficiency at guard. Davison would have helped.
2019: We had a deficiency at guard. Davison would have helped.
2018: We had a need at PF. Reuvers would have helped...and BTW so would have Davison.
2017: We had a deficiency at C. Reuvers would have helped...and maybe Ilikainen too.
2016: We had no depth. Smith and Ilikainen both might have helped.
2015: We had a good roster. But Smith and Dearring would be a plus.
2014: We had a deficiency at PF. (No instate recruit would have helped us)
2103: We had a need at SF. (No instate recruit would have helped us)
2012: We lacked forward depth. Breusewicz and Berggren would have been very helpful.

In these years we offered scholarships to Ahanmisi, Buggs, Dhiediou, Ellenson, Greenlee, Harris, Hurt, Konate, Morris, Osieniks, and Thiam.

Now. NONE of these players would have made us Final Four contenders. I agree. And I realize that some of these offers and 'misses' are about timing...but to say that we wouldn't have been better had we recruited and signed many of tham--Davison, Wahl, Crowl, Carlson, Reuvers, Dearring, Breusewicz, Bergrren, etc. is just simply not true.

OK Gopher fans...here is my take on the Minnesotans-to-Wisconsin situation...I agree that the Minnesotans that have committed to and played with the Badgers recently have not been 'program changers'. In the last 10 years we have not lost one of those (to WI). That said, there are a number of players that have left the state (for WI) that would have helped OUR Gophers. For example:

2018: We had a need at PF. Reuvers would have helped...and BTW so would have Davison.
2017: We had a deficiency at C. Reuvers would have helped...and maybe Ilikainen too.
2012: We lacked forward depth. Breusewicz and Berggren would have been very helpful.

In these years we offered scholarships to Ahanmisi, Buggs, Dhiediou, Ellenson, Greenlee, Harris, Hurt, Konate, Morris, Osieniks, and Thiam.

Now. NONE of these players would have made us Final Four contenders. I agree. And I realize that some of these offers and 'misses' are about timing...but to say that we wouldn't have been better had we recruited and signed many of tham--Davison, Wahl, Crowl, Carlson, Reuvers, Dearring, Breusewicz, Bergrren, etc. is just simply not true.
Orono legend Jordan Smith?

The Badgers have never signed a Minnesota recruit that the Gophers wanted.

But they sign 2 or 3 every year...so of course some of them turn out to be better than our worst players.

And the Badger backside smooching is over-the-top. To say guys like Carlson & Illikainen would have helped...Pitino made the totally correct decision by taking Murphy instead. Davison turned out to be good...but we got a much higher rated player who didn't pan out. Etc., etc. They only get our rejects.

It's an interesting post and you make some good points, but you COMPLETELY lost me when you cited Dearing, Smith and Illikainen.....give me a break!

It's an interesting post and you make some good points, but you COMPLETELY lost me when you cited Dearing, Smith and Illikainen.....give me a break!
Is he talking about Orono Legend Jordan Smith? The guy's B1G career reminds of Isaiah Dalhman, both great practice squad players.

He did mention some of these recruitments didn't work out timing-wise, which is good because most of the players he mentioned who went to Wisconsin were fall recruits, and most of the players he criticized the Minnesota coaches for taking were spring recruits, but these scenarios also don't work out because of limited scholarships. To take Jared Berggren or Mike Brusewitz, you have to swap out one of Royce White, Rodney Williams, or Trevor Mbakwe. Taking Alex Illikainen likely means we never get Jordan Murphy. The staff seemed to go harder after Dawson Garcia than Ben Carlson, which looks to have been the right decision based on how their careers have gone.

Jordan Smith and Riley Dearring scored a combined 29 career points at the University of Wisconsin. Claiming they would have made any significant difference feels like a big reach. For comparison, Chip Armelin scored 53 points in just two seasons at Minnesota. Bakary Konate scored 56 points in just his freshman season, backing up Mo Walker.

Watching the Wolves play the Suns tonight, I heard the name Landry Shamet, he was a guy the Gophers recruited early in Pitino's tenure. Check out the names Bonzie Colson, Allerik Freeman, Riley LaChance, Wade Baldwin, Chris Boucher, Shamorie Ponds, Marcus Zegarowski, Tyrese Haliburton, Grant Sherfield, and AJ Green for some out of state difference makers that we were in on at one point. Colson, Baldwin, Boucher, Ponds, Zegarowski, Haliburton, and Green all at least got drafted or got a two-way deal in the NBA at some point, and Ponds was the only one who was ranked much above the bottom end of the top 100. Johnny Davis was even recruited by Rob Jeter here at one point, but I thought I remembered hearing he was kind of a package deal with his less talented brother, and we didn't recruit Jordan Davis.

He did mention some of these recruitments didn't work out timing-wise, which is good because most of the players he mentioned who went to Wisconsin were fall recruits, and most of the players he criticized the Minnesota coaches for taking were spring recruits, but these scenarios also don't work out because of limited scholarships. To take Jared Berggren or Mike Brusewitz, you have to swap out one of Royce White, Rodney Williams, or Trevor Mbakwe. Taking Alex Illikainen likely means we never get Jordan Murphy. The staff seemed to go harder after Dawson Garcia than Ben Carlson, which looks to have been the right decision based on how their careers have gone.

Jordan Smith and Riley Dearring scored a combined 29 career points at the University of Wisconsin. Claiming they would have made any significant difference feels like a big reach. For comparison, Chip Armelin scored 53 points in just two seasons at Minnesota. Bakary Konate scored 56 points in just his freshman season, backing up Mo Walker.

Watching the Wolves play the Suns tonight, I heard the name Landry Shamet, he was a guy the Gophers recruited early in Pitino's tenure. Check out the names Bonzie Colson, Allerik Freeman, Riley LaChance, Wade Baldwin, Chris Boucher, Shamorie Ponds, Marcus Zegarowski, Tyrese Haliburton, Grant Sherfield, and AJ Green for some out of state difference makers that we were in on at one point. Colson, Baldwin, Boucher, Ponds, Zegarowski, Haliburton, and Green all at least got drafted or got a two-way deal in the NBA at some point, and Ponds was the only one who was ranked much above the bottom end of the top 100. Johnny Davis was even recruited by Rob Jeter here at one point, but I thought I remembered hearing he was kind of a package deal with his less talented brother, and we didn't recruit Jordan Davis.
Jordan Smith was a walk on as well.

Found Jordan Smith's account!

Exactly. Wisconsin fans love to think that they come to Minnesota and steal recruits that we want...but it's simply false. Totally false.

Like I've said, our problems are our own. Wisconsin's recruiting has never been anything to worry about. And will be even less so if Coach Johnson turns out to be a good one.

Last edited:

2015: good roster?!?! huh? One of the worst seasons in school history.
2016: Yes, depth was a problem, but a good team that got to the tournament as 5 seed, no idea who those guys are I doubt they would have helped.
2017: Deficiency at C midway through the season because of Lynch, start of the season was a top 15 team.
2018: The team won a tournament game, then lost Murph in 2nd round.
2019: Deficiency at guard? they had Marcus Carr and Gabe was coming off a great freshman season, plus oh yeah Peyton Willis. Covid ended the season.
2020: who cares, covid year.
2021: New Coach so everything kind of resets, those players probably transfer out.
2022 deficiency at C and PF? no, not really

I beg to differ. Fit matters. Some of the players you list fit UW's system perfectly but not what the Gophers were running at the time. The debate about what led to the varying success of the two programs is a whole different discussion.

WI has done a good job of identifying and sticking to a system and recruiting the talent to play it. There are many past or current Gophers who would not do well at WI. There are many past or current Badgers who would not do well at the U of M.

Our hope is that Johnson establishes an unwavering identity and then expertly recruits the players that fit that versus chasing stars that do not fit- even if they are a top ranked Minnesotan.
Maybe that has been part of the problem. Find good players and build your program to fit their talents.

Maybe that has been part of the problem. Find good players and build your program to fit their talents.
You adjust little things when you get players with special talents, but great programs find great players that fit their system. Players are also looking for fits when they make choices as well and having a consistent proven system is a strong recruiting tool.

Yeah, I agree. I don't sleep over missing out on Winter and Robinson. I really like the class that Ben has put together.

I think we are going to continue having difficulty recruiting in the suburbs (and potentially outstate). There is, at least, a perception that MPLS has gone downhill in the last few years and that perception is pretty strong in the suburbs.
This is my reaction to Nolan Winter and Jack Robinson.

Top Bottom