Jack Robinson commits to Wisconsin

Something seems off here, there has to be SOMETHING at that school with WI and money or some funny business. This is a multiple year/coaches thing so i dont think you can pin it on the Gophers. I mean I know every kid is different and you dont want to just auto cut kids but man I have to agree, what is the point of spending time going after kids who will only spurn you for your #1/2 rival.

Something seems off here, there has to be SOMETHING at that school with WI and money or some funny business. This is a multiple year/coaches thing so i dont think you can pin it on the Gophers. I mean I know every kid is different and you dont want to just auto cut kids but man I have to agree, what is the point of spending time going after kids who will only spurn you for your #1/2 rival.
Maybe a Minnesota booster is paying them. I don't want any of those type of recruits. I liked Shikejanski, Grim...Kolander and a few guys like that were okay...but Clem didn't need to recruit like that. And hopefully Coach Johnson doesn't either.

Maybe a Minnesota booster is paying them. I don't want any of those type of recruits. I liked Shikejanski, Grim...Kolander and a few guys like that were okay...but Clem didn't need to recruit like that. And hopefully Coach Johnson doesn't either.
You don't want any white suburban kids? Or is it just white kids in general?

Yeah, Clem kind of needed Kevin Lynch and Sam Jacobson to win.

More seems like suburban white kids don’t want us. Have to recruit who wants to be here and hopefully winning more will help them want to be here.

Ok….somebody that has actually seen him play…..let me know what we’re missing out on????

Go easy on these kids. The kids are not defective, nor even their high school, its the parents.
It’s interesting. WI does have the perception of building strong teams with more white kids, so it’s not terribly shocking that suburban white kids choose to go there. Impossible as an outsider to tell if that’s parents’ or kids’ preferences in these cases, or if there’s some other influence going on.
It sucks to see any of these kids go to WI, but I’d also say there haven’t been many MN kids that have gone there that I’m really disappointed weren’t Gophers (maybe Taylor and Leuer?). Robison and Winter were on the same team last year and led their team to a pedestrian 19-9 record given their talent - it’s not like these kids are world beaters or anything. Good luck to them, just not when playing the Gophers.

It’s interesting. WI does have the perception of building strong teams with more white kids, so it’s not terribly shocking that suburban white kids choose to go there. Impossible as an outsider to tell if that’s parents’ or kids’ preferences in these cases, or if there’s some other influence going on.
It sucks to see any of these kids go to WI, but I’d also say there haven’t been many MN kids that have gone there that I’m really disappointed weren’t Gophers (maybe Taylor and Leuer?). Robison and Winter were on the same team last year and led their team to a pedestrian 19-9 record given their talent - it’s not like these kids are world beaters or anything. Good luck to them, just not when playing the Gophers.
Well stated. As often as I have read this board l’m pretty sure that if a lot of these guys had committed to the Gophers they would have been criticized for not living up to expectations.

Wisconsin isn't getting Minnesota kids like Lynch and Jacobson. Not even close.

Yeah yeah Leuer was good. But out of the 3 per year for 30 years...only 2 or 3 turned out to be in that category. The Gophers don't need to worry about the Badgers. We simply need a good coach.

Last edited:

Wisconsin isn't getting Minnesota kids like Lynch and Jacobson. Not even close.

Yeah yeah Leuer was good. But out of the 3 per year for 30 years...only 2 or 3 turned out to be in that category. The Gophers don't need to worry about the Badgers. We simply need a good coach.
Jordan Taylor was a huge miss But he probably doesn’t count? Many of the others were role players . Wahl would start for us this year. One every other year would be more accurate Annoying would best describe it. Mcandrews from Wayzata will likely end up in Wisconsin as well Plenty of good players around to stress the burbs too much But Frietag would be a huge get.

Last edited:

More seems like suburban white kids don’t want us. Have to recruit who wants to be here and hopefully winning more will help them want to be here.
Yeah, I agree. I don't sleep over missing out on Winter and Robinson. I really like the class that Ben has put together.

I think we are going to continue having difficulty recruiting in the suburbs (and potentially outstate). There is, at least, a perception that MPLS has gone downhill in the last few years and that perception is pretty strong in the suburbs.

didnt seem like the staff was really in on this kid anyway. Maybe because he has been a strong Badger lean for awhile.

hes a solid player though and im guessing he will have himself a nice career over there

Ok….somebody that has actually seen him play…..let me know what we’re missing out on????
My kid has been at many of the same AAU tournaments over the years, going back to when he was in 6th grade. Also in the same HS conference, so I've seen him a lot.

First off, he's a really good shooter with a quick release. He's also a very smart player and a good passer. Where he falls off for me is his in between size and questionable athleticism for the Big Ten level. Thinking of some of the 6'4/6'5 SG/SF's that the Big Ten typically has, I see him struggling to win athletically, especially off the dribble. If he does get a favorable size matchup he's capable in the post. I've seen him really struggle in some SSC conference games against athletic defenders.

He's a solid player, and he still has two years of HS left. He could easily grow and/or improve a lot more, but I don't see this as a huge miss, especially in light of us bringing in a similar sized Cam Christie (and hopefully more like him).

Top Bottom