Jack Coan transferring to Notre Dame

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Hadn't seen this mentioned, apologies if it was and I just didn't see it. Hey, if you're a grad transfer and a school like Notre Dame will take you, why not get the hell out of Madison?

Some text from The Athletic:

Former Wisconsin quarterback Jack Coan posted Monday on Twitter that he’s transferring to Notre Dame. The graduate transfer will be immediately eligible for the 2021 season.

Coan started for the Badgers in 2019 but missed the entire 2020 season due to foot surgery; four-star QB Graham Mertz took over as the starter in his absence. Coan passed for 2,727 yards, 18 touchdowns and five interceptions as a junior, leading Wisconsin to a Rose Bowl appearance.

Wisconsin and Notre Dame are scheduled to play against each other on Sept. 25 at Soldier Field in Chicago. The Fighting Irish, who lost 31-14 to Alabama in the College Football Playoff semifinals, are expected to lose starting quarterback Ian Book to graduation.

Not exactly and earth-shattering move.

Nice landing spot for Coan. Looks like Wisconsin fans were appreciative and positive in their comments to him on Twitter last night after this was announced.

Mertz really seemed to level off after the hot start he had in his first game against Illinois. My hope is Wisconsin continues to struggle next year at the QB position. Their fans seemed to go on and on about Mertz when he signed and now in action, he hasn't been all that impressive outside of a few moments/game.

I wish that we had that problem, where we had so many talented QBs that some of them felt compelled to transfer to other top football programs...

I wish that we had that problem, where we had so many talented QBs that some of them felt compelled to transfer to other top football programs...
You don't think we'll see any QB transfers in the calendar year 2021?

I know your point was "to other top programs". But who knows where they'll go, if we do.

You're right. We will have transfers.

I was merely referring to that much QB talent and depth. Morgan had a dream year in 2019 and then fluttered in 2020. Who really knows what we have in Annexstad, but it's not at the same level as Mertz and Coan.

I do hope that PJ has a true QB competition this spring. I like Morgan a lot, but he hasn't earned the right to be penciled in.

I was merely referring to that much QB talent and depth. Morgan had a dream year in 2019 and then fluttered in 2020. Who really knows what we have in Annexstad, but it's not at the same level as Mertz and Coan.

I do hope that PJ has a true QB competition this spring. I like Morgan a lot, but he hasn't earned the right to be penciled in.
I don’t think Coan will win that job, and Mertz is mediocre at best through 2 years at wisconsin

Well, I wasn't thinking of Annexstad when I did the reply.

I was thinking Clark ... What if he transferred to Austin? I'm making that up, mind you. Just for the sake of discussion.

I'm sure PJ will say it's a competition like he always does but Morgan gets the starting spot barring injury. And I think he's definitely earned it. Leading the team to the first 11 win season in 100+ years gives you a long leash. All the changes within the team, the chaos in his personal life, and covid to top it off, it makes since that the offense wasn't as sharp.

Coan wasnt that good, but he wasnt awful. He showed up big against us one snowy Saturday in 2019. Hopefully it works out and the Fighting Irish fans wont call for his head game 1.

I don’t think Coan will win that job, and Mertz is mediocre at best through 2 years at wisconsin
This. I have no idea what ND's QB situation is after Book leaves. Knowing what Coan was at WI, I would be pretty surprised if he is a starter there unless there is an injury. I'm assuming ND is adding him for veteran depth, as nobody behind Book has gotten playing time. Pretty good for all parties involved- ND adds depth, Coan gets a year of free grad school (or 1.5 years if he transfers before second semester this year) at ND. Not a bad thing to have on your resume.

Coan wasnt that good, but he wasnt awful. He showed up big against us one snowy Saturday in 2019. Hopefully it works out and the Fighting Irish fans wont call for his head game 1.
You saying their best guy not being that good but not being awful somehow doesn’t make me jealous of Wisconsin’s quarterback situation.

I have no doubt Mertz will produce at a level somewhere between hornibrook and russel Wilson over the next 2-3 seasons

This. I have no idea what ND's QB situation is after Book leaves. Knowing what Coan was at WI, I would be pretty surprised if he is a starter there unless there is an injury. I'm assuming ND is adding him for veteran depth, as nobody behind Book has gotten playing time. Pretty good for all parties involved- ND adds depth, Coan gets a year of free grad school (or 1.5 years if he transfers before second semester this year) at ND. Not a bad thing to have on your resume.
Yeah. Maybe Coan is Notre Dame quarterback, but worst case scenario he is now in the Notre dame alumni network

Hmmmmmm...

Morgan "fluttered" to a QB rating of 128.1 in 2020.
Mertz's rating: 125.2

Morgan's
QB rating in 2019: 178.7.
Coans's
rating in 2019: 151.8

Last edited:

Hmmmmmm...

Morgan "fluttered" to a QB rating of 128.1 in 2020.
Mertz's rating: 125.2

Morgan's
QB rating in 2019: 178.7.
Coans's
rating in 2019: 151.8
2018 Morgan rating 147.6
2018 Annextad rating 117.6

2018 hornibrook rating 132.5
2018 Coan rating 118.0

Minnesota has been better at the quarterback position 3 years in a row.
The 2020 Wisconsin quarterback performed at a lower level than hornibrook did in 2018.

let me put this in perspective.
Mertz had one of the best 7-8 games in big ten history at the quarterback position count for 15% of his season and 11% of his attempts and still managed to have a lower QB than hornibrook.

And I’m supposed to think Mertz is the next coming

Last edited:

A little surprised he ended up at Notre Dame but not surprised at all that he is transferring out. Was clear late in the season that he really wasn't in the picture anymore at Wisconsin.

I will also be shocked if we continue to not see any QB transfers here only because QB transfers have become insanely common at the college level.

2018 Morgan rating 147.6
2018 Annextad rating 117.6

2018 hornibrook rating 132.5
2018 Coan rating 118.0

Minnesota has been better at the quarterback position 3 years in a row.
The 2020 Wisconsin quarterback performed at a lower level than hornibrook did in 2018.

let me put this in perspective.
Mertz had one of the best 7-8 games in big ten history at the quarterback position count for 15% of his season and 11% of his attempts and still managed to have a lower QB than hornibrook.

And I’m supposed to think Mertz is the next coming
Not sure what you mean in bold? Hornibrook was 28-7 as QB.

The Mertz Illinois game was one of the 7-8 best individual games by a quarterback in big ten history.

it accounted for 15% of his starts. And he still was worse than Hornibrook

are you really going to credit hornibrook with those wins? If hornibrook was better wisconsin may have had a national championship at some point in the past few years

I guess the ravens won a Super Bowl because Trent dilfer is a Super Bowl champ too

Ask a Badger fan if they miss Hornibrook. Ask a Florida State fan if they were impressed with Hornibrook.

1994's take — that Wisconsin's QB situation is clearly better than Minnesota's — is shaky, at best.

Last edited:

Top Bottom