Jack Brewer rips Weber

upchurch

Reaction score
Jaxk Brewer really told it like it is re Weber on his post-game show yesterday. Someone called in and said Gray proved in every game during his high school career that he can't manage a game and that's why he's not playing. Brewer wasn't buying it. He said some guys don't practice well. He also thinks Gray should be playing and that Weber is regressing. There can't be anyone who actually thinks Weber is a good qb. You watch other games and you just realize how bad he is. Look at what the Texas Tech qb did in his first start. Look at the pure freshman play for Michigan. Even the Purdue qb is much better than Weber. It is time to give Gray a few series to see what he can do.

I think Weber is a good QB. I think Maybe Cupito who was second in all time Minnesota Gophers passing yards and is now third might think that Weber is a good QB too. I'm thinking that Decker who is breaking all kinds of gopher records and has recieved every pass from Weber might think that he's pretty good too. I also think that maybe the Syracuse coach, the AF coach, the Northwestern coach, and now more recently the Purdue coach might think pretty highly of him as well. I have a feeling that most of the gopher players who have had Weber as their starting QB for three seasons might think pretty highly of him. And I'd be willing to bet that Gray even thinks Weber is a pretty good QB. I'm willing to bet that about 90% of the D1 head football coaches would love to have him on their teams because he's a pretty good QB. I think Brewster and Fisch both think he's a pretty good QB.

I don't think anybody thinks he's the best, or perfect.

Jaxk Brewer really told it like it is re Weber on his post-game show yesterday. Someone called in and said Gray proved in every game during his high school career that he can't manage a game and that's why he's not playing. Brewer wasn't buying it. He said some guys don't practice well. He also thinks Gray should be playing and that Weber is regressing. There can't be anyone who actually thinks Weber is a good qb. You watch other games and you just realize how bad he is. Look at what the Texas Tech qb did in his first start. Look at the pure freshman play for Michigan. Even the Purdue qb is much better than Weber. It is time to give Gray a few series to see what he can do.

tell us how you really feel

You've been pretty outspoken on this, my question to you is Are you satisfied with a 5-7 record if Gray plays the season out? 6-6 ? How do you think the players and coaches would feel with that record? They are putting the best they have out there. If they feel Gray is their best, he would play. Period.

I think Weber is a good QB. I think Maybe Cupito who was second in all time Minnesota Gophers passing yards and is now third might think that Weber is a good QB too. I'm thinking that Decker who is breaking all kinds of gopher records and has recieved every pass from Weber might think that he's pretty good too. I also think that maybe the Syracuse coach, the AF coach, the Northwestern coach, and now more recently the Purdue coach might think pretty highly of him as well. I have a feeling that most of the gopher players who have had Weber as their starting QB for three seasons might think pretty highly of him. And I'd be willing to bet that Gray even thinks Weber is a pretty good QB. I'm willing to bet that about 90% of the D1 head football coaches would love to have him on their teams because he's a pretty good QB. I think Brewster and Fisch both think he's a pretty good QB.

What he said! And Ole, too.

I highly doubt that...maybe Lee Campbell.......

I think everyone recognizes that Weber has had some tough plays this year, but I don't think everyone realizes that Weber has an uncanny connection with Decker. This is worth more than some measurables and has bailed us out a few times this year.

I wish Gray would have gotten in the 4th quarter when we were up 35 -13, but then Weber through the INT and Purdue scored early in the 4th. If we could have answered, I think (hope) we would have seen Gray in.

Weber is average at best. Take away Decker and what would he look like? Weber gets credit anytime Decker goes out and makes an unbelievable play. He gets the benefit of appearing to be good because he has an incredible receiver to throw to. We've played 6 games so far and Weber hasn't thrown a TD to someone other than Decker since the first 5 minutes of the Syracuse game for Christ sakes!

The next two games might determine how much Gray plays from Oct. 31 (MSU) to th end of the year.

tell us how you really feel

You've been pretty outspoken on this, my question to you is Are you satisfied with a 5-7 record if Gray plays the season out? 6-6 ? How do you think the players and coaches would feel with that record? They are putting the best they have out there. If they feel Gray is their best, he would play. Period.

Is this a joke? You think their record will be any better than that with Weber??? The point is, it won't. That's why you might as well get Gray in there.

I am sure the Purdue coach was very impressed with 9 pass attempts and 2 interceptions, a fumble on the goalline, etc. I like Weber, and I am pulling for him, but you have to be blind to not admit he is in a funk and has been in one for a while.

I am sure the Purdue coach was very impressed with 9 pass attempts and 2 interceptions, a fumble on the goalline, etc. I like Weber, and I am pulling for him, but you have to be blind to not admit he is in a funk and has been in one for a while.

No I'm not blind. Quite the opposite. I'm not saying he's great, I'm not saying he's having a great year. I am saying he's not bad. And that is based on my observations of the other QB's in the big ten. If you're going to judge him it ought to at least be based on a comparison of his peers and not a mythical perfect QB that everybody seems to believe he ought to be.

No I'm not blind. Quite the opposite. I'm not saying he's great, I'm not saying he's having a great year. I am saying he's not bad. And that is based on my observations of the other QB's in the big ten. If you're going to judge him it ought to at least be based on a comparison of his peers and not a mythical perfect QB that everybody seems to believe he ought to be.

I'm pretty sure Purdue's Coach would rather play against Weber over Jimmy Clausen, Mike Kafka, Chandler Harnish or Jeremiah Masoli *ANY* day of the week.......

I'm pretty sure you can guess why.......

Weber is worse now than his freshman year, and I was impressed with him his freshman year. He has regressed big time. I don't even trust him to successfully take a snap without fumbling, throwing a pick, or holding the ball for an eternity. He's a Culpepper, I'm expecting him to throw a pass backwards one of these games.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/conferences/sortables?stat=pass&sort=rat&season=2&year=2009&confId=5

Statistically he looks pretty bad compared to his peers. He is also tied for the most sacks, but the QB can't blame the O-line for every sack. Stanzi has an outstanding O-line, but he has taken a lot of sacks this year. I think he and Weber tend to hold the ball too long.

He does hold the ball too long. Statistically he looks pretty bad compared to the top line stats. But he's scarcely off the median. And the line was brutal so far, and the play calling suspect. But from a stats perspective, he should recieve credit for previous years, he's proven something positive about his abilities. Plus I've seen the guys ahead of him, they're not that good. Only Kafka has been impressive. And of course, it's not about stats. We are 4-2. And that's with deficiencies far beyond anything Weber can be held responsible for.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/conferences/sortables?stat=pass&sort=rat&season=2&year=2009&confId=5

Statistically he looks pretty bad compared to his peers. He is also tied for the most sacks, but the QB can't blame the O-line for every sack. Stanzi has an outstanding O-line, but he has taken a lot of sacks this year. I think he and Weber tend to hold the ball too long.

They also both have the problem of locking in on their primary target and not checking down. Stanzi can look brilliant for stretches but will make decisions that leave you scratching your head.

Weber is worse now than his freshman year, and I was impressed with him his freshman year. He has regressed big time. I don't even trust him to successfully take a snap without fumbling, throwing a pick, or holding the ball for an eternity. He's a Culpepper, I'm expecting him to throw a pass backwards one of these games.

I certainly agree with you but let us not forget one very important thing. THREE, count em, THREE different offensive coordinators in the last three years. That is the major reason for decline. Period. It has made him a much weaker competitor in the mental department, which is why you find him struggling to figure out what to do with the ball. It really is too bad, because he had a shot to do something great.

I certainly agree with you but let us not forget one very important thing. THREE, count em, THREE different offensive coordinators in the last three years. That is the major reason for decline. Period. It has made him a much weaker competitor in the mental department, which is why you find him struggling to figure out what to do with the ball. It really is too bad, because he had a shot to do something great.

That would be 3 in 4 years, not 3 in 3. Still plenty of upheaval of course.

Brewster was asked for his opinion of Weber against Purdue. Now listen to his answer very carefully. "I think Adam Weber did a good job of getting us into the right run." Nothing about his passing or ball handling or running. Someone blamed his performance on poor play calling. Well, he's the one making the ultimate decision on what play to run.

I agree that Stanzi looks at times like he's on drugs. But other times he's brilliant. Weber is never brilliant. I wish he would be. This team would be quite good with a decent qb.

He does hold the ball too long. Statistically he looks pretty bad compared to the top line stats. But he's scarcely off the median. And the line was brutal so far, and the play calling suspect. But from a stats perspective, he should recieve credit for previous years, he's proven something positive about his abilities. Plus I've seen the guys ahead of him, they're not that good. Only Kafka has been impressive. And of course, it's not about stats. We are 4-2. And that's with deficiencies far beyond anything Weber can be held responsible for.

I'd agree that the guys ahead of him are not that good, but I think most of them are better than Weber. I wouldn't argue that the line has been bad or the play calling is suspect, but he also has the advantage of playing with the best WR (by far) in the conference and his numbers are still terrible. He has a quality TE and the other receivers have shown they can contribute when given the chance. I'm not sure if Gray is a better alternative yet, but I think we are at the point where it won't hurt to find out.

Upchurch -- a little selective editing?

Brewster was asked for his opinion of Weber against Purdue. Now listen to his answer very carefully. "I think Adam Weber did a good job of getting us into the right run." Nothing about his passing or ball handling or running. Someone blamed his performance on poor play calling. Well, he's the one making the ultimate decision on what play to run.

Not sure where your quote is from ... but it seems pretty selective. Here's Youngblood's full quote from Brewster:

Brewster expanded (that) the Gophers went into the game determined to run the ball. They knew the weather wouldn't lend itself to a passing attack. And don't forget, much of the running success had to do with Weber's ability at times to check to the right run to fit the front he saw.

"I think Adam is a very self-confident player," Brewster said. "His leadership skills, his leadership, his understanding was outstanding against Purdue. From a statistical standpoint, it wasn't a great [passing] game. But it was a 35-20 victory. Quarterbacks are judged on winning."

emphasis added​

Nice try but selective editing always comes back to bite the editor in the rear.

Top Bottom