Jabril Cox, NDSU linebacker/grad transfer

All I know is that Mitch was our QB on one of the most glorious days of my life. It was a sun-drenched, fall Saturday in Lincoln and me and my permagrin got to file out of the stadium with 90K+ somber Husker fans who looked like the Walking Dead. And then I partied all night downtown with fellow Gopher fans........and for that Mitch Leidner - I THANK YOU!

I bartended at a bar in Bismarck about 5 years ago, and Carson's uncle was a regular there. Was told Carson would have been a Gopher had Brewster ever offered...or even offered a PWO. Said he just kept stringing Carson along, trying to keep him in his back pocket in case some other recruits fell through....Carson eventually had enough, and just decided to go to a place where he knew he was wanted.

I can kind of understand Tim not signing him...Carson was a late bloomer, who sat out his junior season due to injury. He didn't have much FBS interest outside of Central Michigan...but at the same time, Tim saw this kid in person numerous times at camps. How do you not recognize the talent? I believe the three coaches to proceed Tim would have gotten Carson here. Tim just didn't have an eye for talent, and I think Carson was the perfect example of Tim chasing stars in recruiting.

I have zero reason to believe Kill or Claeys would have identified the talent in Wentz and gotten him here.

And most QB commits are locked up by then. Story matches up with the injury his JR year, but Carson didn't travel much cause he played other sports. Wouldn't have mattered Jerry and Limegrover wouldn't have gotten him any WR's to throw to.
Which should have made it even easier on Kill to identify him.

All teams miss on players. Ohio State had AWjr in one of their camps and didn’t bother to offer him. That’s more egregious than not offering zero star Carson Wentz from Bismarck, ND.

I have zero reason to believe Kill or Claeys would have identified the talent in Wentz and gotten him here.
Seems to me that Carson’s uncle is the only one who did

Many and most QBs who are going P5 are already committed before they start their SR year is my point and many already have their rosters filled, so it's easy to see why he was passed over if he wasn't flying all over to camps was my main point.

Why would the dude lie? He was a regular at the bar in Carson's hometown. It's not that outlandish was my point like you seem to think it is. Either way I don't blame the staff, he redshirted at NDSU as well. Wasn't like it was an easy thing to spot.

I believe the poster, I don't believe the person at the bar. I don't believe them because it absolutely flies in the face of common sense. If the uncle was drinking at the bar talking about how his nephew was never recruited by the Gophers' idiot football coach, he would have gotten the coach right. There was plenty of time for the staff to come in and offer Wentz and he still would have taken the Gophers offer.

Why would he not be annoyed with Jerry Kill? Central Michigan was recruiting Wentz, why wasn't Northern Illinois and then why didn't Kill bring him to MN when he took the job (like Fleck with Morgan)? I'll tell you why. . . it didn't happen.

Wentz was missed by all of the coaches. Brewster wasn't stringing him along, he missed on him. So did Kill. So did every other P5 coach in the country. It happens. It happend with Trey Lance and Fleck.

We see these sort of posts all of the time about NDSU players. There becomes a sort myth surrounding them and how the Gophers screwed them over and so they ended up going to NDSU out of spite to show us. It's a nonsensical argument because the overwhelming vast majority of these players didn't even have MAC offers. The Gophers missed on them, yes. But so did every P5 coach in the country.

I believe the poster, I don't believe the person at the bar. I don't believe them because it absolutely flies in the face of common sense. If the uncle was drinking at the bar talking about how his nephew was never recruited by the Gophers' idiot football coach, he would have gotten the coach right. There was plenty of time for the staff to come in and offer Wentz and he still would have taken the Gophers offer.

Why would he not be annoyed with Jerry Kill? Central Michigan was recruiting Wentz, why wasn't Northern Illinois and then why didn't Kill bring him to MN when he took the job (like Fleck with Morgan)? I'll tell you why. . . it didn't happen.

Wentz was missed by all of the coaches. Brewster wasn't stringing him along, he missed on him. So did Kill. So did every other P5 coach in the country. It happens. It happend with Trey Lance and Fleck.

We see these sort of posts all of the time about NDSU players. There becomes a sort myth surrounding them and how the Gophers screwed them over and so they ended up going to NDSU out of spite to show us. It's a nonsensical argument because the overwhelming vast majority of these players didn't even have MAC offers. The Gophers missed on them, yes. But so did every P5 coach in the country.
Ndsu develops players at a pretty high level, especially QBs. Lots of schools, that’s not what they are about. Cox & Wentz, case in point, they didn’t come in at the level they are leaving.

Not to nitpick your overall point but I’m not sure I’d say Fleck missed on Lance. Basically got Annexstad as a walk on in that class which helped secure his teammates. I’m sure a heathy ZA would look pretty good for NDSU too.

*Below Average* And he was trash
You finally made believe you are from Jersey- talk about a state that’s full of trash and below average people. Mitch Leidner despite his deficiencies is a fine young man who have his all for his University- you spend your days harassing a poster on this board as well as disparaging his family. Talk about trash- you are the definition. Get lost.

....he probably would have been a linebacker.
This is very true. That is probably where he should have played for us, too. Unfortunately, the staff did not have anyone better and didn't recruit anyone that was better. I guess Streveler in retrospect would have been better but they missed it.

But Brewster was the coach for the summer before Carson's senior year? QB's are normally picked out pretty early and commit early was all I was saying. I thought the story had to do more with Brewster's incompetence which I will typically always believe. I obviously must've misread the initial story.

As far as missing guys or being "screwed" by the U I'm with you on that. Trey Lance is nice, but he wouldn't have started the U over Zach or Tanner. Carson was a late bloomer which even NDSU coaches say in interviews from back then.

Which should have made it even easier on Kill to identify him.

Are you really blaming Kill for not identifying Carson Wentz?

No one did. Literally, no one.

Every single team in the country would have been better off signing Carson Wentz and every one of them missed.

Are you really blaming Kill for not identifying Carson Wentz?

No one did. Literally, no one.

Every single team in the country would have been better off signing Carson Wentz and every one of them missed.
Killballs was all in on Nelballs out of Mnakato.

Top Bottom