J.B. Bauer: Mbakwe Injured in Minnesota's Loss; 6th Year; Postgame Quotes

A note has been added to the top of the article re: ACL confirmed.

As mentioned in the note, there are many examples of kids getting sixth years... but, they have all been different situations than that of Mbakwe's.

Also, remember that Mbakwe sitting his first year at the U was due to a decision which was completely in control of the school. The Committee won't be sympathetic to that topic.

GW - What was the Adam Boone situation

He had 6 years.

Thanks - That sounds familiar.

Not sure how that would differ from Trevor.

Trevor
Yr 1 MQ
Yr 2 Mia Dade
Yr 3 Redshirt (non mandatory MN Choice)
Yr 4 MN
yr 5 Injury
Yr 6 MN ???????????

Not saying its going to happen. Tubby said he graduates in December. They are checking NOW about his possible status for next year. Once he graduates he needs to take 12 hours to remain eligible but they may take into consideration his necessary rehab. Tubby did not sound too confident - but he may have just been a little down talking about the subject in general.

Thanks - That sounds familiar.

Not sure how that would differ from Trevor.

Yr 3 Redshirt (non mandatory MN Choice)

Once he graduates he needs to take 12 hours to remain eligible but they may take into consideration his necessary rehab.

You pointed out the major fact that differs. Minnesota elected to sit Mbakwe.

I'd expect him to continue to take classes no matter what the plans are in the future so that he can get medical care from the U.

Is there something in NCAA Redshirt guidelines that differentiates between who decides to Redshirt a Student Athlete?

Also - not sure but I would think the U is responsible for his medical care whether or not he stays in school.

Is there something in NCAA Redshirt guidelines that differentiates between who decides to Redshirt a Student Athlete?

Also - not sure but I would think the U is responsible for his medical care whether or not he stays in school.

"Redshirt" is simply a term used to describe a student-athlete who doesn't compete (not even a second) in an academic year.

Certain rules, including the five-year rule with respect to waiver criteria, do consider whether a student-athlete being held out of competition was within the control of the institution and/or student-athlete.

Re: medical, if he's enrolled and still a member of the team, Mbakwe will receive incredible medical care. Nothing wrong with heading over to Sister Kenny for some rehab, but having dedicated rehab folks on campus looking out for you daily is huge. You really think that when if you've been a student-athlete at Minnesota that you receive lifetime health care?

I just thought a redshirt was a redshirt was a redshirt. I wasn't aware that the NCAA treated redshirts (or non-compete years) differently especially for the five-year rule. This would be for a sixth year though.

and, No I didn't think he got lifetime care. Do you think the U has no obligation or medical insurance to cover his health care as it relates to his knee injury (the right one) even if he chooses not to stay in school after he graduates in December?

Top Bottom