Izzo Rightfully Frustrated With B1G For Not Rescheduling Guaranteed Win For MSU vs Minnesota

I get why Michigan St wants to play the game but a win against Minnesota doesn’t help their resume.

Weird complaint.

Playing a team like the Gophers with their metrics is much more likely to hurt you then help.

Weird complaint.

Playing a team like the Gophers with their metrics is much more likely to hurt you then help.
They will likely be one win short of a double bye in the BTT.

if Not the best coach in the B1G, certainly in the top 3.

But I was told that MSU wouldn't want to play this game. :p

As insensitive as this sounds, they cancelled the game. They have to deal with the risk it doesn't get rescheduled. It's not the B1G's fault. If you really want it played, then you should have proposed a back to back on Feb 27. Rutgers doesn't have to accomodate your dilemma, MSU. You want the game, you make the sacrifice.

Last edited:

All Izzo said was, "I'm frustrated. Next question". Does not mean he doesn't understand the reality of the situation.

The calendar is not conducive to moving things around to get the game in. Something the Spartans can control is winning their last 3 games which would still put them in excellent shape for a double bye.

In they fall short, go out and 4 games in the BTT. It's been done before.

It occurred to me that the Big Ten schedule is unbalanced to start with. The schedules the teams play are already fairly random in nature. This just adds a small amount of randomness to an already random situation. It's not the abomination that some people might say it is.

I'd rather the game be made up, but at some point you have to recognize the impracticality of the situation and move on.

Move MSU vs Nebraska up a day to Monday
Move Rutgers vs MN up a day to Wednesday
MN at MSU on Friday the 3rd
Move tOSU at MSU from Saturday the 4th to Sunday the 5th.

I think 4 games would have to move to make it work and avoid a back to back.

Throw in arena availability as a potential factor/ripple effect, and it's even more difficult.

All Izzo said was, "I'm frustrated. Next question". Does not mean he doesn't understand the reality of the situation.

The calendar is not conducive to moving things around to get the game in. Something the Spartans can control is winning their last 3 games which would still put them in excellent shape for a double bye.

In they fall short, go out and 4 games in the BTT. It's been done before.
Listening to an interview, I think that Izzo wanted to play the game on the original date. He said something to the effect that when you face hardship, you need to get up and go back to work. He expressed that he understood that others might not process grief like he does, but I think Izzo never wanted to cancel the game. His frustration may be in a MSU leadership that treated the tragedy in a different fashion than he would have treated it.

Intentionally or not, you have explained why this is not impossible, but close.

Intentionally or not, you have explained why this is not impossible, but close.

Probably too late now, but it seemed like the obvious solution was to move the Michigan State vs Nebraska game to either 3/1 or 3/2 (from 2/28) and then schedule us on 2/27. Maybe Nebraska balked at that idea.

Probably too late now, but it seemed like the obvious solution was to move the Michigan State vs Nebraska game to either 3/1 or 3/2 (from 2/28) and then schedule us on 2/27. Maybe Nebraska balked at that idea.
And I don't think Nebraska has any obligation to accommodate, either. I suspect other teams not bowing to MSU is underneath all of this. Multiple teams not involved in the game at hand having schedules upended is way too much to ask for an almost meaningless game.

And I don't think Nebraska has any obligation to accommodate, either. I suspect other teams not bowing to MSU is underneath all of this. Multiple teams not involved in the game at hand having schedules upended is way too much to ask for an almost meaningless game.
Just for the heck of it, I looked at the calendar of events for Pinnacle Arena where the Huskers play. It is booked Mar 1 & 2 for the Nebraska State Girls Basketball Tournament.

Your scenario is unnecessarily complicated. Moving MN-Rutgers to Feb 28 and playing MSU on March 2 would have worked. That’s what Izzo wanted. No back to backs.

But I don’t blame Rutgers for not wanting to do that. They shouldn’t have to get the runaround. MSU cancels the game. MSU makes the sacrifices to fit it in.

I still think if MSU wanted the game they should have sucked it up and played a back to back on Feb 27-28. They tried to get their way and are potentially left without an easy win.

Last edited:

Top Bottom