Iverson....Good Kid...But...I think

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
I hate to rip a kid who gives maximum effort....however...he is a sophmore..I think it might be time for him to go play D2 ball. Inconsistent, He has stone hands, mega turnover prone, poor judgment, cannot FINISH--DUNK THE BALL SON!!.....and we need the scholarship--especially if RWHITE is returning next year.....

Disagree. I don't think anyone expected him to come in and light the world on fire. He is a mountain with toughness and coordination. Let's hold judgement on him until next year when he has a time to refine some of the areas that will help him be a very solid player for us. He probably doesn't have the offensive upside of Ralph, but he can be an important part of our team. Fact is, 7 footers with his physical specimen don't fall off the tree. Plus, he seems to be a good kid.

Thanks for coming.

I think Iverson is going to be a very good player for the Gophers. He is a big kid who gets up and down the floor and plays physical something the Gophers are lacking. Sure he has work to do on his game he is a Soph. Iverson is not expected to be a 10 ppg scorer he is supposed to be a strong physical player down low which he is. He will get his shots inside but that part of his game still needs work and sure sounds like he will put in the time. I think you might have forgotten how bad some of the Gophers better big men were when they were Sophomores. Iverson now is a solid backup Big Ten post player Iverson two years from now could be a very good player especially playing next to other good players who can create.

I agree. I think Iverson could eventually be an All-Big-Ten time player. He seems like a guy who is still growing into his body. If he makes Hagen type progress, he'll be great at some point.

I loved his reaction to the elbow call. No reaction at all. No crying about the foul. No remorse. The State fans can cry all they want, but it was barely a foul at all.

Props for the first first-post in months that wasn't some paraphrase of:

"Everyone is out to get Royce White ... he didn't (or at least it can't be proved 100% that he did) do anything wrong .... and he should be back at practice right now and in the starting line-up the next game!"

Yep ... now it's "get rid of the big, slow, white kid so there's a scholarship for RWHITE" That's a whole new angle. Thanks!

Million 2 spare,

this is for you...

Attachments

• your-problem-demotivational-poster-1214970346.jpg
    your-problem-demotivational-poster-1214970346.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 32

Ridiculous post. Please be respectful and try to post constructive criticism in the future.

I loved his reaction to the elbow call. No reaction at all. No crying about the foul. No remorse.
I like what you posted. I thought the same thing. Didn't look worried at all that it happened. He seemed like "it's over, lets move on". For some reason I appreciated that. Whenever people get on players like this I always start thinking of Darryl Mitchell. Man I thought he stunk. I was so smart, I could see the guy was a load. Never going to amount to a player, ever.

Iverson

Iverson will not be Jeff Hagen- Hagen had better feet and was good with the ball.

Iverson will be a solid player for this program. Ideally when Tubby gets the program where he wants a guy like Iverson will be red shirted- but they were short bigs so he needed to play.

Gophs have two bigs in the program now good bet the Elliason kid is red shirted next year.

Iverson will get better as he matures, a red shirt year would have helped him a lot. I think by his senior year he will give us some quality minutes. I like his attitude and willingness to be physical, he will get a little more polish over time. Big guys like him often need to grow into their bodies. I would like to see him focus on the hard two handed dunk as his main shot.

Some of the responses on this board take me back to the Royce White discussion and how athletes of color are classified. I don't see much condemnation for what Iverson did or calls labeling him a "thug". These things happen in basketball and I'm not interested in the reasons or situations behind the action itself but only the reaction to it by fans, media and people in general.

I hate to rip a kid who gives maximum effort....however...he is a sophmore..I think it might be time for him to go play D2 ball. Inconsistent, He has stone hands, mega turnover prone, poor judgment, cannot FINISH--DUNK THE BALL SON!!.....and we need the scholarship--especially if RWHITE is returning next year.....

You must be talking about Ryan Iverson.

Iverson knew

I like what you posted. I thought the same thing. Didn't look worried at all that it happened. He seemed like "it's over, lets move on". For some reason I appreciated that. Whenever people get on players like this I always start thinking of Darryl Mitchell. Man I thought he stunk. I was so smart, I could see the guy was a load. Never going to amount to a player, ever.

he didn't hit him that hard and wondered what the big deal was. If you watch the replay that shows it from the back, you can see Nix was already starting to lean away before the bow and it really didn't look so hard, the whole thing was a flop. Nix said he blacked out for four seconds? How would you know how long it was if you were blacked out? fake. Plus he broke his 'fall/flop', it should have been a delay of game foul on Nix. faker

Wow. You really believe Colt 45 is D2 talent?

That's nonsense. The kid has the tools to become a dominant inside player. He rebounds well, and he also fills the role of 'enforcer' on our squad nicely. You'd better believe if he transferred the Bo Ryans and Bruce Webers of the world would be looking to pick him up immediately.

Some of the responses on this board take me back to the Royce White discussion and how athletes of color are classified. I don't see much condemnation for what Iverson did or calls labeling him a "thug". These things happen in basketball and I'm not interested in the reasons or situations behind the action itself but only the reaction to it by fans, media and people in general.

Are you really trying to equate a thrown elbow on the basketball court with shoplifting and assaulting a security guard? Seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Please note the OP's use of "..." or what I like to call dots. The theme is intriguing here on GopherHole

million 2 waste

Let me just say this, with all due respect,

:(

Please note the OP's use of "..." or what I like to call dots. The theme is intriguing here on GopherHole

If he would have used some damn emoticons he could have gotten his point across!:mad:

Anybody that says Colt should not be on this team are mistaken. He is by far our best rebounder and dirtiest player. A team needs guys like this that will run through walls for their teamates. His skill is average right now and as a sophomore that is acceptable. Everyone is so quick to throw people of the team such as Nolen and Hoff last year as sophs and now its Colt and Devoe this year, just hold onto your panties.

Are you really trying to equate a thrown elbow on the basketball court with shoplifting and assaulting a security guard? Seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Not really. The discussion about White evolved into a larger discussion about race and basketball and I think this was a pointed example of how we views things in terms of color and class. If that had not been Colton Iverson but say an African American male that fit a stereotype often attributed to black basketball players (tattoos, showboating, demonstrative attitude on the court, etc) would the outrage be bigger? Would we see posts about that "thug" from Minnesota all over Big Ten team message boards?

Not really. The discussion about White evolved into a larger discussion about race and basketball and I think this was a pointed example of how we views things in terms of color and class. If that had not been Colton Iverson but say an African American male that fit a stereotype often attributed to black basketball players (tattoos, showboating, demonstrative attitude on the court, etc) would the outrage be bigger? Would we see posts about that "thug" from Minnesota all over Big Ten team message boards?

I really don't think so. There wasn't outrage about Iverson because the foul he committed wasn't all that egregious. If it had been Iverson who was caught shoplifting at Macy's and then assaulted the security guard I think he would have gotten the exact same treatment as White did. Racism clearly exists and is a problem but I don't think that it is what drove the reaction to White's transgressions.

Wow. You really believe Colt 45 is D2 talent?

That's nonsense. The kid has the tools to become a dominant inside player. He rebounds well, and he also fills the role of 'enforcer' on our squad nicely. You'd better believe if he transferred the Bo Ryans and Bruce Webers of the world would be looking to pick him up immediately.

Dominant? Seriously, come on. If all of our players were as good as some people on this board believe they are, we'd be a top 10 program, not a borderline NCAA club. Iverson is solid at best, as is Joseph, Carter, Bostick, and Williams (for now).

Weskbrook, Hoffarber, Johnson, Nolen, and Sampson are the only guys on our team that would be in a regular rotation in a upper half B10 program, and you could argue that none of them would start on a top 10 type team.

Dominant? Seriously, come on. If all of our players were as good as some people on this board believe they are, we'd be a top 10 program, not a borderline NCAA club. Iverson is solid at best, as is Joseph, Carter, Bostick, and Williams (for now).

Weskbrook, Hoffarber, Johnson, Nolen, and Sampson are the only guys on our team that would be in a regular rotation in a upper half B10 program, and you could argue that none of them would start on a top 10 type team.

I think I saw a similar post by an Iowa fan about their team not long ago. After all, we "only" have five guys that would play for an "upper-half Big Ten program." In other words, we're on our way to the second division for sure. Thanks for having faith in our team. :clap:

I think I saw a similar post by an Iowa fan about their team not long ago. After all, we "only" have five guys that would play for an "upper-half Big Ten program." In other words, we're on our way to the second division for sure. Thanks for having faith in our team. :clap:

I am not saying that at all. I think the Gophers are the 5th or 6th most talented team in the B10

They are middle of the pack, and I am not ripping them at all, they are what they are.

Iverson has improved his game by keeping the ball high after he gets a pass. This seems to have reduced his turnovers and shortened the time he takes to shoot, which is still too long. A couple things he should work on are keeping his head in the game (he seems to drift and not be ready at all times) and go to the basket fast and strong when he's inside. He's so strong that if he went in for furious slams, the defense would learn to watch out. Too many times, it seems he's hesitant when he has the shot, and then loses the opening.

Top Bottom