I've now seen two sources mention Grinning Glen for the AD Job

How so? PR and handling the promotion of the program were some of his least favorite things. How does this suggest that he'd be a good fit?

Good points. I guess I've just always viewed him as a natural PR-type person.( meaning the few instances when I've interacted with him he has straddled the line between genuinely interested and fake). Admittedly, he didn't do enough to promote the program as a coach but I think that was because he didn't feel that was the coach's responsibility (wrongly so). I'm not even sure I'd welcome him as the choice, but I admit that the suggestion was not something I had previously thought about, and it somewhat intrigued me.

Say what you want, but Glen Mason was the best coach we've had here since Murray Warmath and he knows more about what is wrong in this department than anyone. He would make an excellent A.D. but I doubt that he would seriously consider it. I've also heard great things about the A.D. at Stony Brook. My money is on him right now.

Your conclusion may be right, but there's no way your logic is. By your logic, Les Miles or Nick Saban would be the greatest ADs on the planet given their success on the field as football coaches.

Running this department is a lot different than knowing what's wrong with the department. I have really nothing against Mason (if he can bury the hatchet with Barreiro, him remaining in disdain with me would be petty), but I think the department needs a new face who can think outside the tight box that we in Minnesota always seem to put ourselves into. It's an odd contradiction, but we need someone from the outside who can come in and re-connect the department with the larger Minnesota community. That may mean a top-to-bottom overhaul and I don't think "one of us" can get that done.

however one feels personally about glen, i would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see a true football guy (let alone a former football coach) as the U of M AD. it would be a very good thing for the gopher football program (particularly budgeting-wise) if someone with a football coaching background were the AD.

According to Sansevere's sports report on KQ this morning, the three top choices should be Jeff Diamond, Glen Mason or Jon Anderson.

I would be Dennis Green, Lou Holtz and Sid Hartman. All great choices in my book.

According to Sansevere's sports report on KQ this morning, the three top choices should be Jeff Diamond, Glen Mason or Jon Anderson.

None will be considered. Our local sportswriters truly are complete buffoons.

Pass.

So we replace our Wisconsin mole with an Ohio State moll? No thanks. I want our coaching hires to be more than the 3rd and 4th tier coaches from Ohio that the Buckeyes passed over. And then you have to bring in the fact that he'd have to work year-round, which he refused to do as a football coach? This is looking worse and worse. Fortunately, he's got oodles of experience in marketing and administration, right? Wrong. The man was a mediocre football coach, but since his replacement was atrocious this qualifies him as an Athletic Director? It's just astonishing that the media in this state is either irresponsible or flat out stupid (my vote is still for the latter).

And in regards to Mason being the best football coach since Warmath? Well, I would like to congratulate him on being the tallest midget in Oz.

Anderson - nah, we need to focus more on the cash cows - football and hoops. I'm afraid baseball would get too much attention.

Does Bob still cover sports?
Mason would only take the AD job as a stepping stone to the Ohio State AD job when that opens up.
Very poorly. They were talking about Tom Brady this morning and Bob he said that Michigan had to baby Brian Griese when Brady was there because they were afraid he'd quit football to play for the Yankees.

I think Mase wants the job, ive heard him on kfan numerous times and i feel he thinks he has unfinished buisness here.. with that said, i dont think there is a chance in hell he gets the job. Pres K seems like someone who has a plan and will execute his plan. im expecting the A.D. from his previous stop (Stoney Brook) to get the nod.

First off, I would be absolutely disappointed if Mason even gets consideration for the position. While he is a football guy and may put more emphasis towards it (don't forget BJM was a football coach previously, too), I don't believe he has any qualification that would make you sign him. Seriously, would we interview any other career .500 coach with zero background in administration? Would we hire Mark Mangino? He was a more successful coach percentage wise than Mason and made a BCS game. Why not hire him? He's just as qualified.

I don't hate Mason. It was time to fire him when the U did (other than the extension), but I have respect and admiration for him. But he is not qualified and if he hadn't previously been employed at Minnesota no one would even bring him up.

I honestly don't get why people think we need someone with a link to an athletic department that prior to BJM was plagued with scandals and has not been successful in the revenue sports under BJM (not counting hockey which BJM hadn't had a chance to screw up yet). Like 50 Pound Head mentioned we need a fresh start.

I am really intrigued with Fiore from Stony Brook. To me that is the type of candidate we need to go after. A guy who has come into a smaller D1 school and rebuilt a struggling athletic program. Plus he obviously already worked with Kaler.

I've been liking Grinnin' Glen for AD since last June. Even tweeted him to take the job, giving him the option to shyt-can Maturi as his first order of business.

Very poorly. They were talking about Tom Brady this morning and Bob he said that Michigan had to baby Brian Griese when Brady was there because they were afraid he'd quit football to play for the Yankees.

funny. that would be drew henson, not brian griese. sansevere......do your job and know your facts.

file.php

Saw that and reminded me of this:
The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

I think Mase wants the job, ive heard him on kfan numerous times and i feel he thinks he has unfinished buisness here.. with that said, i dont think there is a chance in hell he gets the job. Pres K seems like someone who has a plan and will execute his plan. im expecting the A.D. from his previous stop (Stoney Brook) to get the nod.

Never hire anyone with an agenda that includes "unfinished business."

From a P.R. perspective, it seems like a giant hurdle to clear, seeing as how his predecessor canned him from a "lesser" post. I also don't see where Glen would be happy patting backs all around town trying to raise money. Of course, they could do worse.

Glen's current job is patting backs all around town trying to raise money.

http://www.marquetteam.com/GlenMason1.asp

That's because Bob Sansevere clearly doesn't care about the U or do any real research on anything to do with it. I heard him state that and wanted to punch right through the windshield of my 1995 Astro Van. Jon Anderson is a great coach, huge U supporter, but being a good COACH and ALUM doesn't make you a visionary leader who can deliver in these critical facets of an AD's duty: fundraising, marketing, financial management, and people management (including hiring coaches of many sports).

Similar to the Kill hire, I'll take the Stony Brook guy. He's done quite a bit there, from reaching out to alumni and the general population for fundraising, to recognizing the need to brand and grow the athletics program, both with students and the greater NY community. Plus Kaler knows him.

Mason was a decent football coach, showing he has some level of knowledge about athletics in general, people management (having decent coordinators beneath him), talent development (from an athletics side), but not much more in his bag of tools. We need something different.

Similar to the Kill hire, I'll take the Stony Brook guy. He's done quite a bit there, from reaching out to alumni and the general population for fundraising, to recognizing the need to brand and grow the athletics program, both with students and the greater NY community. Plus Kaler knows him.

This article really got me interested in him as a candidate: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/brook_of_dreams_AWysrnowLkA8xNvoiiqB0M

I like the Kill comparion, because Jim Fiore also looks like a guy who knows how to build from the ground up. The little nugget I liked? His getting a marching band created from scratch. I like that because it means he understands the importance of the band (and might get UMMB under the AD like it should be) and that he understands the importance/implications of building atmosphere and tradition (something that wasn't emphasized enough after TCF opened).

This article really got me interested in him as a candidate: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/brook_of_dreams_AWysrnowLkA8xNvoiiqB0M

I like the Kill comparion, because Jim Fiore also looks like a guy who knows how to build from the ground up. The little nugget I liked? His getting a marching band created from scratch. I like that because it means he understands the importance of the band (and might get UMMB under the AD like it should be) and that he understands the importance/implications of building atmosphere and tradition (something that wasn't emphasized enough after TCF opened).

That's the same article that got me interested. What's funny is my biggest worry about him not coming here would be because he's TOO dedicated too seeing through what he started at SUNY. Seems really passionate and has had a long-term vision from day 1 with the ability to execute (and/or hire the people who can) on all the little details along the way. Like you said, one of the biggest themes I got from the article was his expert recognition of creating and sustaining a campus atmosphere and the role the band and students play in it. Based only on this, I think he's in my top 2 right now, and I don't have a second :)

You and dpodoll68 are way over the top. Not wanting Mason to be the next AD is fine, but your hatred for the man is just plain bizarre.

Never attend another Gopher event the rest of your life if Mason were hired as AD? Pathetic by both of you.

For what it's worth I think Mason would be a good candidate for the job. Not my first choice but I think he would make a good AD and would have success here. And for the record I'll be attending Gopher events for the rest of my life no matter who is hired as AD.

You? No way? I am shocked that you would support Glen Mason for AD.

I'd be shocked if Glen Mason would be considered. If football was put at the top of AD Mason's priorities, I could live with it. He also has experience with fundraising. That said, virtually zero chance it even gets considered.

PS. Sansevere knows nothing about sports. He makes things up, doesn't check any facts, and is the biggest blithering idiot on a Morning Show full of blithering idiots. The KQ Morning Show makes Super Star's show look like a MENSA gathering.

Top Bottom