It's Whalen!

Mark Coyle with another fast hire, should be good if she surrounds herself with quality assistants and listens to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleck, Motzko, Whalen.

Motzko took an extra few days because his team was still playing. But all were quick hires.

I wonder if she talked to Dawn Staley about how she handled both playing and coaching?

As part of Whalen's agreement to become head coach, which is pending approval from the University's Board of Regents, she will play continue to play for the Minnesota Lynx.

Sorry, but shouldn't this be her job, and her only job?

As part of Whalen's agreement to become head coach, which is pending approval from the University's Board of Regents, she will play continue to play for the Minnesota Lynx.

Sorry, but shouldn't this be her job, and her only job?

I hate that part. How does that even work during this recruiting period plus putting in the work of keeping current players. Summer practice will be "wait til Lindsay gets here sometime in the fall".

Congrats to Lindsay. Glad she's playing one more season for my Lynx too. It's fine for her to do both and will certainly be okay with recruits. It was what the U had to agree to for her to take the job.

Dawn Staley played in the WNBA for 8 seasons while coaching. It can be done, plus Whalen is near the end of her playing career.

I hate that part. How does that even work during this recruiting period plus putting in the work of keeping current players. Summer practice will be "wait til Lindsay gets here sometime in the fall".

That's the reason I hope Whalen & Staley talked during the couple of days between the start of the TTU rumors and today. Staley was successful on day one at Temple, and still was playing at the time.

That's the reason I hope Whalen & Staley talked during the couple of days between the start of the TTU rumors and today. Staley was successful on day one at Temple, and still was playing at the time.

I hope it works; but with transfers, grad transfers, summer practice time, training, etc. coaching requirements have significantly increased since Staley doubled up at Temple. I'm assuming a staff will be swiftly named.

Now there's a recruiting pitch - Lindsey visits a recruit, and closes with "be sure to watch me play with the WNBA Champions." Or she brings a recruit to practice and they get to hang out with Maya Moore and Sylvia Fowles, and get a pep talk from Cheryl Reeve.

Assuming she has a good director of operations, and assistant coaches to handle some of the day-to-day stuff, I think having her still play could be a huge plus for the Gophers. Not to mention the cross-promotion - offer Lynx fans a Gopher season ticket package, and pack the barn with all the young girls who consider Lindsey their idol.

I hope it works; but with transfers, grad transfers, summer practice time, training, etc. coaching requirements have significantly increased since Staley doubled up at Temple. I'm assuming a staff will be swiftly named.

So really Lindsey is the cool coach but the top assistant is going to be the one doing the dirty work for the first couple years

So really Lindsey is the cool coach but the top assistant is going to be the one doing the dirty work for the first couple years

That's actually very normal even when the head coach isn't playing professional basketball.

It seemed to work out okay for Hugh. He was with the Olympic team the first year and the Assistants ran the team.

I've never found that to be sustainable especially if there's a huge salary gap. If your boss knows less and does less...

I look forward to contract details and coaching hires.

It seemed to work out okay for Hugh. He was with the Olympic team the first year and the Assistants ran the team.

It worked out okay; but he was already at the top of the coaching profession. There was no question about his coaching ability. There were only questions about translating that to college players.

I find it funny that when Tyrone Carter's name was thrown out there for a position as Gophers DB coach, there were plenty of people who instantly raised concerns that you don't go from no coaching experience to an assistant at the collegiate level, yet no one seems to be batting an eye here.

http://www.startribune.com/lindsay-whalen-hired-by-gophers-as-women-s-basketball-coach/479556393/

Lobo weighs in:

Rebecca Lobo, a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame and a former UConn and WNBA star, was a fan of the move.

"I'm thrilled for her,'' said Lobo, an ESPN women's college basketball analyst. "And for the U. It seems like a perfect fit. She's always seemed to be a coach in the making and everything that is good about Minnesota sports. She'll have a learning curve, but I think it's an amazing hire.''

Well clearly Whalen thinks this is a smart move for her career wise and I doubt she would take this job if she didn't feel like she could succeed. I have no doubt Whalen can turn out to be a GREAT coach and for her to be able to do that in her home state? You can't beat that.

Well, count me in as someone who is ecstatic with this move. Very anxious to hear who her assistants will be. I'm a bit surprised that she will continue to play for the Lynx, but not disappointed. It will certainly help that the Lynx are a local pro team and Whalen will be able to spend time at the U even during the season. Anyone who ever saw Whalen play for the Gophers (or the Lynx) knows that she was/is someone special. Great hire for Coyle.

Now there's a recruiting pitch - Lindsey visits a recruit, and closes with "be sure to watch me play with the WNBA Champions." Or she brings a recruit to practice and they get to hang out with Maya Moore and Sylvia Fowles, and get a pep talk from Cheryl Reeve.

Assuming she has a good director of operations, and assistant coaches to handle some of the day-to-day stuff, I think having her still play could be a huge plus for the Gophers. Not to mention the cross-promotion - offer Lynx fans a Gopher season ticket package, and pack the barn with all the young girls who consider Lindsey their idol.

Just put the WNBA championship rings on the table and that should do it haha

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hopkins coach Cosgriff has already spoken positively about the Whalen hire. Even though he didn't comment on behalf of Bueckers, it can't hurt that he endorses the hire.

Well, not quite. McCutcheon joined his team a couple weeks into his first season, but he was out for the preparation for the season, for sure. Worked out pretty well in the long run.

I don't know if she was the most experienced choice, but it would be good to get some stability, provided she can coach and recruit.

It's not a small job, so I'm curious how this will go.

Congratulations to Whalen!

I find it funny that when Tyrone Carter's name was thrown out there for a position as Gophers DB coach, there were plenty of people who instantly raised concerns that you don't go from no coaching experience to an assistant at the collegiate level, yet no one seems to be batting an eye here.

I will go on record as saying that I was concerned with the potential for that hire and, likewise, am concerned about this hire. That being said, it's easier to stick your neck out for something like this when it's a non-revenue sport.

http://www.startribune.com/lindsay-whalen-hired-by-gophers-as-women-s-basketball-coach/479556393/#1

Updated with statements from Whalen and Reeves.

In a seperate statement from Whalen, issued by the Lynx, she said: “I would like to thank Coach Reeve and the Lynx organization for their support during this process. As I started this process with the University of Minnesota, it was important to me that I returned to the Lynx this season. I’m very excited about our upcoming season and I look forward to returning to a renovated Target Center and playing in front of our great fans.”

Her coach on the Lynx, Cheryl Reeve, also issued a statement: “I want to take this opportunity to congratulate Lindsay and her family as she becomes the next Head Coach of the University of Minnesota’s women’s basketball team. I want to commend Mark Coyle and his staff for his swift movement in landing one of the all-time great Gophers. Lindsay is a proven leader at every level of her illustrious career and I know she will continue to excel as a head coach of the Gopher program. The Minnesota Lynx hold a special place with Lindsay and we are excited to see her back on the court this summer for her 14th WNBA season.”

I will go on record as saying that I was concerned with the potential for that hire and, likewise, am concerned about this hire. That being said, it's easier to stick your neck out for something like this when it's a non-revenue sport.

It's understandable to be concerned. My hope/expectation is that Coyle did his due diligence, and Reeve provided a straight, honest assessment of Whalen's coaching ability and potential.

It's understandable to be concerned. My hope/expectation is that Coyle did his due diligence, and Reeve provided a straight, honest assessment of Whalen's coaching ability and potential.

Despite my concerns, I honestly think she will be great. As Coyle put it - she's one of those people that seems to just be good at everything she does.

Top Bottom