It's time we mature as a fan base

Rick Mons

The former MN Snowman
Reaction score
As a preface, I'll fully acknowledge that this is pretty subjective and some (many?) will disagree with the sentiments expressed here. But bear with me.

1. Criticizing a player who is black is not the same as criticizing a player because he is black.
  2. We need to remember that for the first time in a long time we have depth. Is Cobbs the perfiect PG? Nope, not yet but he's got tons of promise. Are we seeing improvement with age? Absolutely: see Blake Hoffarber and Damian Johnson.
  3. Have we made improvements? No doubt in this fan's mind. First, there's a coach who is clearly in control and can/should command respect from his players and the fans. Second, while I have great respect for players who graduated recently, there's a feeling that today's players are much more able to compete head-to-head with top quality competition.
  4. Are we there yet? Nope, but we've made phenomenal steps and for those of us who were here during the end of the last regime, the difference is pretty clear. Pardon us if we're slower to throw up our hands and relegate us to the NIT or lower post-season competition.

I thought yesterday's game versus St Joe's was a great example. I expected a much closer game and some real close scoring in the second half. Go Gophers!

Bravo and well said.

The complaining on this board over the past couple of weeks is astounding. I didn't even go into the race post because I knew my blood would boil.

Back to lurkdom

As a preface, I'll fully acknowledge that this is pretty subjective and some (many?) will disagree with the sentiments expressed here. But bear with me.

1. Criticizing a player who is black is not the same as criticizing a player because he is black.
  2. We need to remember that for the first time in a long time we have depth. Is Cobbs the perfiect PG? Nope, not yet but he's got tons of promise. Are we seeing improvement with age? Absolutely: see Blake Hoffarber and Damian Johnson.
  3. Have we made improvements? No doubt in this fan's mind. First, there's a coach who is clearly in control and can/should command respect from his players and the fans. Second, while I have great respect for players who graduated recently, there's a feeling that today's players are much more able to compete head-to-head with top quality competition.
  4. Are we there yet? Nope, but we've made phenomenal steps and for those of us who were here during the nd fo the last regime, the difference is pretty clear. Pardon us if we're slower to throw up our hands and relegate us to the NIT or lower post-season competition.

I thought yesterday's game versus St Joe's was a great example. I expected a much closer game and some real closer plays in the second half. Go Gophers!

I am not sure what any of this has to do with "maturing as a fan base". Where is the evidence that this team has made improvements? Last year, they handled business in the non-conference portion of the season, and this year (despite returning almost everyone) they have failed to do so. What does one's misguided views on race have to do with "maturing as a fan base"? How does taking a positive outlook on the team to this point make one more "mature"?

The Gophers lost two key recruits before the season even began and followed that up by losing three key games by razor thin margins in which the team played poorly. That certainly does not mean the season is over, but to act like it's been anything but a disappointment to this point is not "mature" either.

Tubby certainly has the program pointed in the right direction and the future could be bright, but I don't blame anyone who's disappointed with what has occurred this season.

Rick Mons...An example of the fact that the fan base is real and still here, was the fun the mature and true Gopher fans had with your "oops, wrong forum" thread.

Unfortunately, there are a few extremely bitter posters who try to control a life of negativism thru their continuous comments of..."### sucks", "### isn't worthy of scholarship", "...everything is based on racism..." etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, until the "youngens" catch a life, things will continue behind the anonymity of the blogs.

Sincerely,

Dr.Don

I hate to break it you, Rick

But if you want to address the "fan base" of the Gophers, you are more likely to connect with them by passing out leaflets before a game. There are thousands of Gopher fans who do not know this board exists, and they are good, loyal fans, who are a much bigger portion of the base than us fanatics who check into a message board a few times a week.

A small number of posters are nasty, negative and immature, but that does not represent either the majority of this on-line community, or the fan base of Gopher basketball. And I don't think the small number of immature posters is limited to the young, although that's a guess since most of us do this in relative annonymity (you one of the notable exceptions, however). I hear a lot of immature griping at games that comes from people who are not young.

I agree with EG that while the program is in the right direction, the beginning of the season has been disappointing in losing at least two games we should have won with superior talent and experience. That's an observation, not an immature comment.

Rick, you need to mature as a man and learn to accept an apology

But if you want to address the "fan base" of the Gophers, you are more likely to connect with them by passing out leaflets before a game. There are thousands of Gopher fans who do not know this board exists, and they are good, loyal fans, who are a much bigger portion of the base than us fanatics who check into a message board a few times a week.

Agreed. I was trying to speak to the folks who are on the 'Hole rather than the larger number who attend the games.

A small number of posters are nasty, negative and immature, but that does not represent either the majority of this on-line community, or the fan base of Gopher basketball.

While I'll agree that there are more lurkers than posters -- and that the noise-to-signal ratio may be high with those who post (even yours truly) -- I wonder about the fan base that won't refute or comment upon the B.S. that gets expressed here.

And I don't think the small number of immature posters is limited to the young, although that's a guess since most of us do this in relative annonymity (you one of the notable exceptions, however). I hear a lot of immature griping at games that comes from people who are not young.

Actually, I wasn't correlating age with maturity at all. I have no idea how old someone is what with the monikers that are used here. I was referencing, however, the lack of maturity of those who are ready to throw in th towel with this team and this coach after three losses. Or the others who equate dissatisfaction with a player's behavior with racism.

Life is nuanced ... mature people understand that.

I agree with EG that while the program is in the right direction, the beginning of the season has been disappointing in losing at least two games we should have won with superior talent and experience. That's an observation, not an immature comment.
Agreed. But I don't recall you or EG saying that the balance of the season was meaningless or that the season was over. But, for the sake of argument, let's say you and EG do think that way ... I don't recall either of you saying those of us who think otherwise are idiots, fools, or morons.

IMO, that separates the mature viewpoint from the immature one.

But as I wrote, "this is pretty subjective and some (many?) will disagree with (my) sentiments."

Regards,

Rick

Rick, you need to mature as a man and learn to accept an apology
I'm comfortable with my position.

Here's what you wrote after your "apology:"

i'll do whatever i please bud, sit back and relax and try not to take life so serious
link

and when I explained that whatever your intent was, it didn't remove the slur that was used:
I tried to apologize but Rick wasn't having any of it....I think I'll take the apology back link

So, an apology is proffered albeit with a "not really all that sorry" and then retracted. I'm not sure I'm the one who needs to "mature as a man."

As another poster wrote to you: Your post was tasteless and clearly caused offense. By defending your right to make offensive comments you appear boorish. Perhaps you might instead try elevating your own behavior and rethink the effect your comments have had on others.

You know the people that won't ever admit they're wrong because they are so filled with pride? All I'm sayin'...

Enough with the age crap please.

Rick Mons...An example of the fact that the fan base is real and still here, was the fun the mature and true Gopher fans had with your "oops, wrong forum" thread.

Unfortunately, there are a few extremely bitter posters who try to control a life of negativism thru their continuous comments of..."### sucks", "### isn't worthy of scholarship", "...everything is based on racism..." etc, etc, etc.

Anyway, until the "youngens" catch a life, things will continue behind the anonymity of the blogs.

Sincerely,

Dr.Don

Top Bottom