It's Time For a Change

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
The play calling has been horrific.
The offensive line has been a swinging gate.
Leidner continues to badly under throw receivers.

The offense cannot get any worse than what we've seen the last three weeks. Sure Limegrover and the offensive line deserve much of the blame. But opposing teams are constantly stacking the box, daring us to throw.

It's time for Croft. At this point there is zero downside and only the potential for improvement.

The offense cannot get any worse than what we've seen the last three weeks. Sure Limegrover and the offensive line deserve much of the blame. But opposing teams are constantly stacking the box, daring us to throw.

It's time for Croft. At this point there is zero downside and only the potential for improvement.

So the prospect of Croft leaving the field on a stretcher and being shelved for the year wasting his redshirt is not a downside. Got it!

But there is downside, a lot of it. If you put in Croft and he plays like a true freshman that is not ready yet it could get even worse.

Should tell all of us what the coaches think of the backups when they continue to refuse to put anyone under center besides Limegrover.

But there is downside, a lot of it. If you put in Croft and he plays like a true freshman that is not ready yet it could get even worse.

Should tell all of us what the coaches think of the backups when they continue to refuse to put anyone under center besides Limegrover.

Today's offense will not win the Gophers another game this year. How could it get worse?

The coaches are so conservative, there is great inertia involved here. I refuse to believe our backups are as helpless as made out to be. If nothing else Streveler runs the option like a pro. The coaches likely feel if they make a change and it fails, it will come back on them. If we keep winning, however poorly, stay the course.

I don't buy the #narrative that all QBs will be destroyed behind this line. They have tackle issues; we are are too big and slow at the tackle positions, but the QB needs to have pocket awareness. Move the pocket, or 3 step drops and quick passes help.

Agreed. We can only assume the other QBs suck worse or they'd be playing. Which means the change that needs to happen is in recruiting. Whoever is picking crappy QBs needs to go.

Here are my thoughts.

First and foremost, people are not afraid of the pass, so they are going to stack the box against the run.

We are 3 games into the season now, and it has been proven we're not a good enough running team to beat a stacked box like we could with Mason. Thus, we MUST develop something through the air.

The problem is, our pass blocking is bad, so if we do attempt to pass we probably will get pressured and sacked.

So IMO, in order for this offense to succeed we need a QB who can make something happen when under pressure. Leidner is not that guy, as he's about as bad under pressure as any QB I've ever seen for us.

Can Croft do this? Maybe. I am generally not in favor of burning redshirts, but he is noticeably better then you almost have to.

Can Perra? I don't know. Seems like he is the best pure passer we have though, and there is no risk in playing him (other than damage to the coaches ego if he succeeds)

Our offensive is SO ineffective right now, you almost have to change the QB just to shake things up and hope for a spark. If we do make a change, it's going to be this week. Would be nice to have one game before conference time to at least give it a try.

Here are my thoughts.

First and foremost, people are not afraid of the pass, so they are going to stack the box against the run.

We are 3 games into the season now, and it has been proven we're not a good enough running team to beat a stacked box like we could with Mason. Thus, we MUST develop something through the air.

The problem is, our pass blocking is bad, so if we do attempt to pass we probably will get pressured and sacked.

So IMO, in order for this offense to succeed we need a QB who can make something happen when under pressure. Leidner is not that guy, as he's about as bad under pressure as any QB I've ever seen for us.

Can Croft do this? Maybe. I am generally not in favor of burning redshirts, but he is noticeably better then you almost have to.

Can Perra? I don't know. Seems like he is the best pure passer we have though, and there is no risk in playing him (other than damage to the coaches ego if he succeeds)

Our offensive is SO ineffective right now, you almost have to change the QB just to shake things up and hope for a spark. If we do make a change, it's going to be this week. Would be nice to have one game before conference time to at least give it a try.

Our Oline sucks, but so do our receivers, who fumble when they do catch it and our QB who severely underthrows wide opens receivers on bombs. What should be an easy TD is a turnover. Thanks Limegrover.

Mitch wasn't good. Aaron Rodgers would have struggled today with the OL play and play calling we just saw. RUTM.

The playcalling is not doing the QB any favors, run up the middle on first down, run up the middle on second down, attempt a short pass on third down, rinse, repeat. Stack the box and you've got it beat. After those 2 interceptions they stopped going deep. No jet sweeps, no screens, very little play action, very predictable.

The playcalling is not doing the QB any favors, run up the middle on first down, run up the middle on second down, attempt a short pass on third down, rinse, repeat. Stack the box and you've got it beat. After those 2 interceptions they stopped going deep. No jet sweeps, no screens, very little play action, very predictable.

All that tells me is that the play calling is a function of the limitations at QB. Once again reiterating the fact that this offense can only go forward and not backward with a new, more athletic QB running the show.

I agree with you, except there is this tiny part of my brain that tells me Leidner is getting all the reps still because of ego. The coaches went with him over Nelson a couple years ago, so you know they're cheering for him as much as anyone simply because they don't want to look bad. Because let's be honest. From the first year he arrived on campus they pumped him up as this darkhorse contender at QB who most assumed would be a TE. He was the big physical runner with a live arm. Eventually they pulled the trigger and went with him over Nelson. Then Nelson transferred and they were left with Leidner, and now that decision has backfired horribly. To pull Mitch at this point would be to admit defeat, so I think they are going to give him conceivable opportunity to succeed. < / conspiracytheory >

I hope the coaches are saving things for the conference schedule...the O-line looked pathetic.

I hope the coaches are saving things for the conference schedule...the O-line looked pathetic.

It looked to me that the coaching staff tried to get the W today while only showing a small amount of what they can do on offense. I also think the play calling is limited due to ineffective line play. The one time they called something even remotely creative, it worked for a td. While I'm not happy with what I saw today, I don't think putting a true freshman into the game full time is the answer.

The play calling sucks
The offensive line sucks

the answer: start a true frosh at QB

The play calling sucks
The offensive line sucks

the answer: start a true frosh at QB

Your forgot to add the current QB also sucks...which is one of the reasons why the offensive line sucks, and the play calling sucks.

No, the current QB doesn't suck. Last year he actually had some good games when we had a running attack and some pass protection. The offense unfortunately is in rebuild mode (no Epping, Maxx, Cobb, Fruechte, down several TEs, and several OL). I hope they can figure out a new style of offense to match the current personnel or this team will waste a good defense.

I hope this is correct and was my thinking right after the game. We were screaming at people last year and the year before due to the slow start. Further more we say "In Kill we trust." Are we with him not really knowing what is his true thinking is and support him and his staff. Or are we going to jump all over the staff and not mean in kill we trust and brick by brick? We can't have it both ways.

I hope this is correct and was my thinking right after the game. We were screaming at people last year and the year before due to the slow start. Further more we say "In Kill we trust." Are we with him not really knowing what is his true thinking is and support him and his staff. Or are we going to jump all over the staff and not mean in kill we trust and brick by brick? We can't have it both ways.

Its not a slow start, they could have easily lost last week and this week...Even if they struggled today, they still should have won by a couple of TDs....something is really wrong on offense and Kill seems baffled by it.

+1

The saying "better the devil you know" may be an aphorism but it's good counsel for fans who don't see players that practice but don't play in games.

Go Gophers!
Pledge to Change the Conversation: www.r-word.org

Ohio State not able to run the ball vs NIU and now NIU gets the ball with a chance to tie the game. We won people.

Ohio State not able to run the ball vs NIU and now NIU gets the ball with a chance to tie the game. We won people.

If we continue to play like we did the last 2 weeks, it will be our last win of the year as well.

NIU is a lot better than Kent State. We barely beat Kent State. Kent State! At home!

People who are happy with just a win, should petition to change down to division III, it's all good as long as we win!

Not happy with the way the team won but anyone who thinks it's time to clean house after 2 bad games is being silly.

Not happy with the way the team won but anyone who thinks it's time to clean house after 2 bad games is being silly.

I don't know who's saying clean house, but something has to change. Whether it's a new QB, better play calling, or something else, this offense needs a spark or the Gophers will lose to Ohio on homecoming next week.

I'm all for the offense getting better. Can we heal up the Oline quickly? I would love to see our receivers create some space and some home runs on offense.

No one is saying to clean house and fire Kill or whatever... But the coaches better wake up and fix it, which I'm sure they will... for a while. That's how it's always been. Every year we have these offensive issues then the offense gets opened up and we go on a nice offensive streak, then it goes back to lame and predictable again. Then we lose a Bowl Game.

Top Bottom