It's Official: Minnesota Will Decline the Opportunity to Compete in a Bowl Game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Minnesota Will Decline the Opportunity to Compete in a Bowl Game

The University of Minnesota will decline the opportunity to compete in a bowl this year.

The decision was made by Athletics leadership, head coach P.J. Fleck and the football team.

Coach Fleck has issued the following statement.

“The health and safety of our student-athletes has always been our first priority. They invested a tremendous amount of physical and mental energy into competing in the Big Ten season this year and proudly represented Minnesota. The season was filled with daily off-field adversity caused by the pandemic, but their desire to play never wavered and they sacrificed so much in their personal lives to be able to compete in the Maroon and Gold this year. Right now, our focus is strictly on their well-being off the field, and we look forward to them being able to responsibly spend some of the remaining holiday season with family and loved ones. We will return our attention to football when everyone is back on campus in mid-January.”

Go Gophers!!

I hope no organized team activities happen until March at the earliest, ideally April. Do spring ball in late May or early June.

January-March are really important for younger players to make gains in the weight room. Absolutely not.
How on Earth can you misunderstand what I said as "don't allow players to workout".

Are you trolling???

Are you trolling that you don't think "organized team activities" include working out with strength coaches?
:rolleyes:

Don't you have something better to do with your time than be a lame ass and purposefully try to misframe people's posts on the internet?

Trying to look at the bright side. Aside from the Rose Bowl being a playoff game this year - how much would it have stunk for us to make it to the Rose Bowl and not be able to attend as fans due to Covid? Thank goodness that wasn’t an issue for us this year. Pasadena 2022!

Wise move for players and coaches to opt out of bowl game. Covid19 has everything locked down anyway. Good time to go home, relax, eat some home cooked food and see friends and family loved ones. All and all they had to give up like all of us just to play. Gophers played hard, I see next year as a better year.

Correct decision. I'm sad about it because a Gophers bowl game is sort of like a fun Christmas present, but that's just selfishness talking.

All of 2 or 3 practices. The bowl game they were projected in that I saw last night was December 26th against Army. Nothing of value was lost.
Ya, those Christmas Day practices would have been invaluable. Enjoy being home, guys.

All of 2 or 3 practices. The bowl game they were projected in that I saw last night was December 26th against Army. Nothing of value was lost.
That would’ve been a no win game, all around.

Have to prepare for a triple option offense, that you’ll never see in the Big Ten, against a very good Army program under Monken.

Glad they didn’t take that!

Wisconsin might get the Music City Bowl. Seriously doubt Nebraska would turn down a bowl, so they may get the one the Gophers have a shot at. If you can play seven games, you can play in a bowl.

Wise move for players and coaches to opt out of bowl game. Covid19 has everything locked down anyway. Good time to go home, relax, eat some home cooked food and see friends and family loved ones. All and all they had to give up like all of us just to play. Gophers played hard, I see next year as a better year.
Are you seeing friends and family this holiday? Yikes if you are.

I respect my parents, extended family, friends.

Do not be the red dot. Do not prolong this process for the rest of us.

Keep wanting to attend the gopher bowl games next year when they get to a NY6 (fingers crossed!) but then cannot go bc people going outside their household against every guideline out there.

This looks like the B1G bowl game lineup:

Dec 30 - Mayo Bowl - WI vs Wake Forest (I will be calling this the Miracle Whip Bowl, as I root for WI
to get whipped.....)
Music City Bowl - IA vs Missouri

Jan 1 - Citrus - Northwestern vs Auburn
Sugar - Ohio State vs Clemson (Natl Semi-final)

Jan 2 - Outback - Indiana vs Ole Miss

Bowl games canceled include Independence and Guaranteed Rate bowl.

This looks like the B1G bowl game lineup:

Dec 30 - Mayo Bowl - WI vs Wake Forest (I will be calling this the Miracle Whip Bowl, as I root for WI
to get whipped.....)
Music City Bowl - IA vs Missouri

Jan 1 - Citrus - Northwestern vs Auburn
Sugar - Ohio State vs Clemson (Natl Semi-final)

Jan 2 - Outback - Indiana vs Ole Miss

Bowl games canceled include Independence and Guaranteed Rate bowl.
Ironically, had the big ten not adjusted the big ten title game and it was Indiana vs northwestern the big ten would’ve made more money.

Ohio state would’ve still made the playoff.
Winner of that game would be in fiesta. Everyone bumps up a game.

Ironically, had the big ten not adjusted the big ten title game and it was Indiana vs northwestern the big ten would’ve made more money.

Ohio state would’ve still made the playoff.
Winner of that game would be in fiesta. Everyone bumps up a game.
False.

Ohio State would’ve been left out of the playoff without being in the Big Ten title game. Notre Dame and Texas A&M would’ve been selected.

Also not at all certain that Indiana would’ve been #10 or higher, as would’ve been needed to make the NY6 this year.

You are wrong, and too stubborn to admit it.

False.

Ohio State would’ve been left out of the playoff without being in the Big Ten title game. Notre Dame and Texas A&M would’ve been selected.

Also not at all certain that Indiana would’ve been #10 or higher, as would’ve been needed to make the NY6 this year.

You are wrong, and too stubborn to admit it.
The winner of the big ten title game would’ve had an automatic bid to the New Years 6 as big ten champion. (Which is why Oregon is in a New Years 6)

Ohio state would’ve, IMO, been in the playoff...but even if they weren’t, Ohio state would’ve been in the New Years 6 before Iowa state or Florida.

so even if Ohio state didn’t make the playoff, it still would’ve made the conference more money to have two in the New Years 6

You can continue to pretend you know things that you really don’t know. It’s fine

Again, that is not necessarily true. The payouts for the Outback and Citrus are pretty nice.

Speaking of not knowing things - until today, I had no idea that "Duke's Mayonnaise" existed. It must be regional - I don't think I've ever seen it in stores. but apparently it is supposed to have a tangier flavor than Hellmann's. (personally, I'm a Miracle Whip guy).

But apparently the Duke's Mayo people sell enough of the stuff that they can afford to sponsor a bowl game. Capitalism at it's finest.

Are you seeing friends and family this holiday? Yikes if you are.

I respect my parents, extended family, friends.
Do you feel the players going home to be with their family, who they haven’t seen in months, to be disrespecting them?

Top Bottom