Its not the coaching, it's just bad luck

I will take back the five years comment, can't to much with your first year I will admit that. I don't think the offense has any better flow then it did his first year, shooting hasn't been improved, nor has free-throws.

I wont rip Tubby on his recruiting, I don't mind the players he brings in (I like Eliason, chip etc.) It is the way he coaches his players during the games and develops his players that irks me

5 straight years? Come on.

+1. I'd say through year 3, everyone was pretty happy with Tubby. Now through eyes of frustration they're trashing his entire tenure. Let's keep prespective. The last 1.5 years have been frustrating. Not the last 5.

You're so easy ZTA I almost felt dirty even writing that post. :clap:

Some of us realize when a good man is being beaten. And some, very few, actually stick up for the one being beaten. While others (BLIZZARD - why dont you use your former moniker? Scared?) pile on.

Whatever you do, do not acknowledge that Monson's LBSU team has played the TOUGHEST non-conference sched in each of the last 3 years.

And dont acknowlede that your hero hasnt done squat.

Fact blizz, just facts.

+1. I'd say through year 3, everyone was pretty happy with Tubby. Now through eyes of frustration they're trashing his entire tenure. Let's keep prespective. The last 1.5 years have been frustrating. Not the last 5.

I agree with you completely, I have no idea what will end up happening but my fear is that recruiting is starting to take a nose dive, I'm also not sure how the current players will develop. I hope they can come back and win 7 games in the B1G this year, I'm not real confident of that happening though.

While others (BLIZZARD - why dont you use your former moniker? Scared?)

That's been my moniker since I signed up ZTA. Why is it you had to change your's again? :)

Maybe this is just a spot that cannot be an every year contender. MN has not had a long run of success in 30 years, and its fading fast. Maybe the Admin, and not Tubby, is to blame?

Stupid Comment. Totally unrelated

Nobody said anything about Tubby giving up. Tubby is doing a poor job. If someone does a poor job for five straight years while working for you, do you just keep blindly thinking he is going to pull through? Now I am not advocating firing Tubby, as someone said earlier if you fire "The great Tubby Smith", then that makes it look like no one can win here. It is all very depressing, college basketball is my favorite sport and the gophs are my favorite team. But this Tubby is infallible belief that some have is just nauseating. The game has passed him by

I don't hear anyone saying that Tubby is infallible. The title of this thread is that there has been an incredible amount of bad luck. Brew simply could not coach. He needed to be fired. Tubby is one of the best and if Trevor, Mo and Al would have been healthy then the program would have been extremely competitive over the last 2 years. I still think we will be competitive this year. Like you I love Gopher basketball. I enjoyed the first 3 Big games but I hated the results. I still look for us to make the NCAA's. Now if all of this negativism gets to Tubby the way it got to him in Kentucky, then not only will we not make the NCAA's but I could see him going away. I for one hope that wil not happen and I believe it will not happen.

I agree with you. I have made similar posts on other threads in reaction to all of this negativism. I was going to start a similar thread so I am glad you did, perk.

Tubby could have left here long ago. He has been rumored to be considered for every major vacancy since he has been here. That how highly respected he is in the BB community. Yet he has unlike our last true "Tubby Hire" in football by the name of Lou that left us in a terrible position that we are still trying to climb out of.

As I read so many of these Patrick like negative posts, including by mods on another forum, I wonder how people handle adversity in their own lives. Do they just quit. I don't see Tubby quiting and I for one am not quiting on him.

GOOD CALL!! I like what you said, how do people handle adversity in their own lives, do they give up? I would hope not. How would they treat their kids if they were to grow up playing basketball but wasn't recruited by the best or being amongst the best athlete's or had an injury, would they give up on their son or daughter? I don't think so. Let's just get it out there.........

I think people would go a little easier on Tubby if he would be willing to take some of the blame.
Does he ever do this. Does he ever say that he needs to work on recruiting harder? Does he ever say
that he needs to adjust his style? NO
What he does do is shift the blame to his players.
When someone isn't living up to expectations, (and I don't think the current state of Gopher B-ball is what
most fans expected,) then they can do a lot for themselves by admitting they made mistakes and be willing
to take a longer look at themselves and the way they are doing things.
It seems that Tubby just digs in with his way of doing things and if that doesn't work he just says that
it isn't working because the players are not doing as he has told them.

I think people would go a little easier on Tubby if he would be willing to take some of the blame.
Does he ever do this. Does he ever say that he needs to work on recruiting harder? Does he ever say
When someone isn't living up to expectations, (and I don't think the current state of Gopher B-ball is what
most fans expected,) then they can do a lot for themselves by admitting they made mistakes and be willing
It seems that Tubby just digs in with his way of doing things and if that doesn't work he just says that

From today's media access
"Tubby taking ownership for the last three losses, especially against Iowa. He says the Gophers got away from playing uptempo and pressing."

I think saying he needs to do a better job of recruiting would be an insult to his current players.

"Yeah, the players we have now aren't very good, I really should have seen that they wouldn't amount to much, I need to be a better evaluator of talent."

Doesn't sound too good.

Maybe this is just a spot that cannot be an every year contender. MN has not had a long run of success in 30 years, and its fading fast. Maybe the Admin, and not Tubby, is to blame?

That's ridiculous.

I don't like the use of the word luck. You make your own luck. For whatever the reason, there has been relatively significant roster turnover in the last few years. The argument was made earlier that at this stage of his tenure, Tubby's teams should be able to withstand "a transfer or an injury". I agree with that. The problem is, there have been SEVERAL injuries, to arguably the most critical players (Nolen last year and Mbakwe this year were seniors and leaders, for example), and there have been NUMEROUS transfers.

Tubby should shoulder a huge chunk of the blame, his teams have underperformed. But to not acknowledge that last year's team WITH Al Nolen, Devoe Joseph, Royce White, and Mo Walker would have contended for the conference title and THIS year's team with Mbakwe, White, Joseph, Walker, and Iverson would have contended for the conference title is just plain being ignorant.

Yes, I'm disappointed with the job he's done to an extent. I hate that they are too sloppy with the basketball and I'm not crazy about the substitution patterns. But at the end of the day, I'm going to reserve more final judgment until I see a year or two without some major turnover on the roster.

Have any of you gopher fans just forgotten about what has happened over the last few years with the transfers and injuries to this team. With the lost of Trevor this year, could damage any team. Mo Walker is still unavailable. Colton Iverson and Devoe Joseph both transfered last season and could have helped alot this year. Al Nolan was injured most of last season. We seen what the team looked like with a complete team at the beginning of last season by winning the tournament. Justin Cobb and Paul Carter transfered in 2010. Who can forget about Royce White. If these players weren't injured or players transerring, things would look alot better. Tubby is already a proven winner, can't help the bad luck. Everyone should be looking at this a different way other than, let's get rid of Tubby. It's just a string of bad luck.

AMEN!

I know that Monson is doing much better now where he is, but he was in way over his head here. He was not strong enough to coach star players like Pryz and that guy that married that girl that plays for NJ now. They ran him. Tubby is a leader. Tubby is one of the most respected people in basketball. If a kid places hmself above the program, I don't want him here.

It appears Tubby is in over his head, based on his results, as he and Monson are neck and neck as far as conference record goes.

You dont say a word about Joseph nor White - both Tubby recruits. Talk about placing themselves above the program!

The team and Tubby could withstand an injury or transfer, IF THERE WEREN'T SO MANY OF THEM OVER A PERIOD OF 2 YEARS. How much more can he do if he has problems like that. Some people just don't get it. Maybe that's why your aren't coaching. Basketball is just like a game of runs, it takes time to regroup. Maybe it's this season or maybe it's next season. Who know's, I wouldn't be unhappy if it was next season, because I believe if the transfers and injuries hadn't happened, everyone would be praising Tubby, the players, assistant coaches and what the hell, even the athletic director.

I guess when you are a top coach, you can make calls like you want them. You are able to recruit 3 star players, 4 star players or 5 star players. He has been a proven winner every where he has been. How many straight 20 win season did he have until last season? It all depends if you are trying to build a team that will stay together over a period of time and by time everyone is juniors and seniors, they should be pretty good or do you want players to come in for one or two season and then leave. Why would a coach change his system if it's worked this long, he shouldn't have to change his system everytime a new recruit comes in.........AND BY THE WAY, I HAVE HEARD TUBBY SAY, MAYBE HE NEEDS TO LOOK AT IF THERE IS SOMETHING HE NEEDS TO DO DIFFERENTLY. I'M SURE YOU HAVE HEARD HIM SAY THAT MORE THAN ONCE.

Do you attend all the practices and meetings? If not, then you have no idea what he says to the players. Take what Tubby says to the media with a grain of salt.

Either way, like someone else already pointed out, Tubby did blame himself for the last three losses.

It appears Tubby is in over his head, based on his results, as he and Monson are neck and neck as far as conference record goes.

You dont say a word about Joseph nor White - both Tubby recruits. Talk about placing themselves above the program!

That is exactly my point. Both of them placed themselves above the program. Anyone would have recruited either on of them, but when they placed themselves in a position that hurt the program, they were gone. Tubby wanted White to stay, but only on Tubby's terms not White terms. I say good for Tubby. Tubby admitted recently that he failed to communicate better with Joseph. I really don't think that was the issue. I think Joseph clearly wanted things his way so he left. He quit on Tubby, on his team and all of us fans.

That being said, they are both kids. When I was their age I screwed up much worse than they did, and don't ya know I turned out okay.

Top Bottom